Home

How to make a jk2 movie

TK_Nutritious

If U are so smart Johnny boy, so tell me why this script don't work in JK2 since in Q3 work:

set demfastf "timescale 2; bind rightarrow vstr demsuperff"

set demsuperff "timescale 10; bind rightarrow vstr demfastf"

set demslowmo "timescale 0.5; bind rightarrow vstr demfastf"

set dempause "timescale 0.3; bind rightarrow vstr demfastf"

set demnormal "timescale 1; bind rightarrow vstr demfastf"

timescale "1"

bind rightarrow "demfastf"

bind uparrow "demnormal"

bind downarrow "dempause"

bind leftarrow "demslowmo"

set startavi "cl_avidemo 25; bind kp_uparrow vstr stopavi"

set stopavi "cl_avidemo 0; bind kp_uparrow vstr startavi"

vstr stopavi

set r_mode "3"

set cg_drawfps "0"

set cg_fov "90"

//set cg_draw2d "0"

set cg_drawgun "0"

set s_initsound "0"

snd_restart

I was recording demos in q3 on this script and i can rewind demo in both ways. JK2 is little strange I think :| This is on q3 engine or not?!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the reason the script wont' work is the way jk2's demo viewer was set up. On q3 engine you could assign slowmo and fastforward etc. to buttons and press them while viewing the demo. On jk2 if you press any button or mouse key while the demo is playing it will exit you out of the demo. It's just bad design, sorry :/

The only thing you can really do about it is set up scripts that will fast forward or slowmo at a certain point in the demo. They're pretty difficult to set up and use but if you really want to learn how you can catch me on instant messenger: Nutritious414

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Melvin.FoX

That is why I think that the jk2 engine is **** up! I dont have msn. Maybe IRC?

I emailed some of the raven developers about the problems with the demo viewer and they said they'd look into fixing it for jk3. You can sometimes catch me on IRC on irc.quakenet.org #jk2-community

Pistolero rulz:D anyway my question........

how do u add effect and stuff? like if i want to have a fade or something.

and in pestolero did u use editing softwar to put all of those clips together or did u just group your pics so that they ran together? also how did u get it to slow down and then fastforaward? soz if u think i'm asking too many questions but I wanna know how you do all this stuff.

It depends what effects you're refering to. As far as fading in and out and transitions, I did those in Premiere. A few effects can be done with the jk2 engine but most of mine were from premiere, which includes fast forwarding and slowmo. Technically you could do slowmotion straight from jk2 by adjusting cl_avidemo to a higher number for just a small section of the video (say cl_avidemo 60), and then create the video at 30 fps which would give you 50% slowmo for that section. However, it's can be time consuming and you can't really time it specifically to shots.

My first video, Nutritious.avi, was done completely with simpler programs like pjbmp2avi and ACDSee (even windows paint for the inverted colors) so it's a good example of a few effects you can easily pull off without complicated programs.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Right, the reason that happens is that they set the demo viewer to exit demo playback after any key is pressed (I really don't know why as the original quake demo viewer let you use certain keys during demo viewing). Anyway, the only way to get new angles is to either set them before viewing the demo or to write a script that will adjust camera angles during playback.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a really good suggestion as far as programs that load JPG... you might want to look into download Virtual Dub, or VirtualDubMod, they are really the greatest programs for encoding any video source. It will load jpgs seqs. and just about anything else. If VDub can't load it, you can write an AVISynth script and make a .avs file, and that will allow vdub to open it.

google VirtualDub or VirtualDubMob or check out SourceForge.net to get this awesome freeware opensource video editing application.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdubmod/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdub/

Edit: Is there a way to fast forward in a demo? or start from a specific point or frame#?

and can I output the screenshots to a different directory or drive?

Originally posted by TK_Nutritious

well that's not really the problem, it's not about hard drive space... The problem is when you get to the screenshot limit of 10000. Folders won't allow you to have that many files in one folder. So if you use cl_avidemo 50 you'd only be able to do about.... (does math) 2:20 worth of a demo before running outta room.

how can I clear my screenshots info? I ran intot he max # and now I can't make any more demos... Is there a way to reset it? I've been deleteing the screenshots but it still starts at the last used # instead of the last existing file#.

-------------------------------------------------------------

ignore that... I realized it resets after you exit JK2.

i got down just about everything involving the demo->avi/other video container conversions and I just saw Nutri's "tricky" video... It was pretty good, I already knew all of that though, and you didn't really go into the cool map secrets like walking on the roof of NS Streets and all that. You also didn't do any of the saber tricks... Maybe I'll make a nice demo vid and show you my stuff... also... 100mb is kinda big for 3 mins of video and audio, don't you agree? i have a 4 minute demo recorded that's 30mb without audio... +audio ~ 34mb I'm thinking. You have to compress your audio source into mp3 or ogg maybe. Mp3 is the most popular though, so I'd go with that. And the framesize of the video was really big, too... the video was pixelated at certain points.. if you shrink framesize and increase bitrate quality should go up and it'll stay around the same size, maybe smaller.

That's all for now, and thanks for the idea =]

• 2 weeks later...

Heh tricky was made a really long time ago when most people hadn't seen/done those tricks before then. As for vid quality/editing etc. it was one of my first vids and I've come a really long way since then as far as my editing ability and compression knowledge. I've long since stopped playing JO or JA, currently working on a big q3 video for this summer. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, I go into a server. Open up the console. Type in:

/g_synchronousclients 1

then

/record

but then it just disconnects me from the server and I get the following error message:

Cl_SetCGameTime:

!cl.snap.valid

I get the feeling I missed something simple yet crucial here, can somebody help?

• 2 weeks later...

You need a recorder script. IF you had read the all the post in this thread you would see the problem has been addressed before. In one of my post above was a link to a recorder script but the website no longer has it.

Search the remaining jko sites for a recorder script by TK_BIOHAZRD.

This will correct the error.

• 4 weeks later...

emm, i have a question. When you put in g_synchronousclients 1 into Jedi Outcast, does it affect your gameplay any? Because when i do it in Jedi Academy, it gets really really laggy, and pretty much the only kills i get are from luck and i usually run into my own mines....which missed the wall (quit moving you) and landed on the floor...

when i type in g_synchronousclients 0, the gameplay goes back to normal. Is that normal? Or is it just something about Jedi Academy?

Yes that's normal. It's just an oddity with the quake 3 engine where it requires you to put synch to 1, turn on record, and put it back to 0. It will continue to record after it is put on 0 and will eliminate the performance hit. I definately wouldn't recommend trying to play with g_synch 1 on ;).

edit: reread your question: it's normal for both games it's just jedi academny is more resource intensive so you probly notice it more when doing it in JA then in JO. There's no reason to play with it on though, just begin recording and turn it back off. Better yet, find a demo script that'll do it for you (quake 3 one's work just fine).

Archived