Home

Why many people no longer post WIPs here.

-Chrono_MOT-

Just wanted to let you all know that I am still working on quite a few projects...the only reason I don't post them here (and quite a few others don't as well) is because of the lack of response time and support from the general crowd.

You people have to realize one thing - this board is great for help, but a lot of the times you have people who are in need of help and get flamed...by moderators. That's pretty bad. On top of that, WIP threads get locked when person after person starts whining that the project is dead and someone isn't updating. That's one of the main reasons why the ROTJ team has not updated a thing in our thread. Because people jump to conclusions and assume too much. Then, when someone posts his/her thoughts or feelings on an issue, the topic either gets deleted or is locked immediately by Kman.

Yes, this is the modeling forum. But as the modeling forum stands, even modeling related topics (ranging from discussing models being released, to WIPs) get locked and deleted.

If you want the modeling forum to be only WIP threads, then just call it the Model WIP forum. Simple as that. Modeling is a broad word when discussing a game, so tons of different topics are going to get brought up. I am sick of seeing threads/replies locked/deleted that were perfectly good questions/points that just didn't fit into someone's idea of what a modeling forum should have.

I posted a WIP in the mapping forum, and instead of getting any kind of help, it hit rock-bottom. I now have my WIP posted in a different forum completely, and have gotten more views and replies in one day than I did in a week here. See my point?

Well, it probably won't be long until this thread is locked or deleted...so for those of you who get to see it I strongly suggest you just work on what you have and don't worry about what many people think here. 90% of the replies to your topic are either going to come from you, or someone wondering if your project is dead.

I agree 110 percent. Due to most of the rudeness floating around the board, I have completely stopped helping people out. I really don't even check the forum that much anymore. I even UVW mapped trebor in two programs. First in Softimage, **** doesn't export right. Then I re-did it correctly in MAX. This was a project for the community.

Even when a wip gets posted, it's usually bombared with post likes. AWESOME!!, can't wait till it gets realeased, Gimme, I want, or a whole side discussion takes place. There is harldy any real hep that takes place within the wip thread.

I could go on all day....

im not sure what point your trying to make with the UVW mapping thing...

WIPs are not generally for asking help, they are to show a preview of what your making.

but i know people do ask for help in WIPs, take myself for example, if i need a skinner or sounds for a character or reference pics i ask for them, and i always get a response.

the problem i have with _some_ WIPs is that they have like 20 f'ing pages and the damn thing isnt out yet, so i usually stop looking at them after the 10th or so page, it just gets rediculous.

madjai, that's the exact point I'm trying to make. The reason most WIPs have 20 pages is because people do nothing but post "ooh ooh! bump for author i don want dis project 2 die please don't die!" every other post. If you took the average popular WIP project, took out all the posts that didn't relate to helping with the modeling process, then took out all the bumps, THEN took out everything that didn't even help anyone at all, you would have almost 70% less pages.

All I want to say is, that I never lock a thread if it's a question and not a WIP with examples and screenshots. I do lock offtopic and delete spam/flames. (or edit the flames out)

This topic is sadly offtopic here, it would belong in Feedback. That's where it will be moved for further discussion

thank you ASk.

well thats what happens when you create popular models. sure, i dont look at the threads anymore because they are old and ive lost interest, but others do because they become a part of the model. id would say 1/3 of the posts are just "wows" and "great works", but the rest is all welcomed criticism, offers of help with things as skinning and posting ref pics, and some questions.

youll have to direct me to some negative threads because i cant seem to find any.

Wow, Thanks ask your the best admin in the whole wide world. By the way you guys should target the thread that promote software piracy (which Madjai is a strong promoter of). I never see you guys close any of those threads. Just a little food for thought. Whole sites have been know to be shut down for lesser things.

i agree with you chrono_mot.

I don't really understand why kman acts like this.

In my opinion the modeling forum is really badly moderated....

if someone posts a modeling related thread but which is not a wip it just gets locked !

that's stupid.

some examples :

someone posted a link to a yoda modeling tutorial, and it got locked !

someone asked how to change the heads of the models , locked!

well i think kman should change his behaviour or maybe he is not a good moderator ......

what do you think ?

by the way chrono_mot which forum are you talking about ?

pm me the url please .

i do not strongly promote the use of pirated software, i dont go around making threads and posts telling people to pirate stuff.

sometimes people ASK how i got 3dsmax or ASK how can they model without spending hundreds or thousands of dollars. i simply give them an option, thats all.

im sure the Yoda modeling tutorial was closed because its a tutorial on how to make a super high poly model of a model thats already made.

the changing heads thread was probably closed because you cant simply change heads, and tons of modelers know this and would have mostly likely flamed him massively.

i think Kman and the other mods are doing a fine job.

You do however tell them where they can get it. Which constitutes as advertising software piracy. I am sure Discreet would love to see your little post. I could probably dig into the forums and compile the number of time you advocated the use of Kazaa. Once again I am quite positive Discreet would love to see that.

There is absoulty no reason why they can't be happy with gmax and milkshape. I talked with about this with people over at 3d buzz, Believe me they are quite unhappy with your actions on the advertisements. Theortically Myself and others are legally obligated to report it.........However I understand certain issues....kinda.

The Yoda model, was Star Wars related, and see how it's a modeling forum, Not a WIP forum......at least that's the impression I get.

i think discreet would have better things to do with their time then bother me. as long as im not giving away their program for free they wont care.

oh and if you did search the forums for the number of times i said how i got 3dsmax it would probably be about 4.

and seeing as how milkshape doesnt export to .xsi format its useless in making player models.

Archived