Home

Day of the Penguin (Linux adventures)

ptdc

I have recently denounced the evil that is windows and fully embraced Linux (for a couple of weeks at least). Now unless I can get wine working this leaves me with a bit of a problem making my game. Does anybody know of any linux adventure game engines, or any java engines? I'd like to avoid writing my own engine for now (for one I'd have to learn to program first).

You will learn, PTDC. I've seen it happen before. Some starry eyed boy downloads a copy of 'Mandrake' or 'Red Hat', thinking just how nice and happy life is, and how his computer will never crash again.

After installation, he sets up a nice GUI, thinking how lovely it is and how fun it is to tinker around and make everything look bright and shiny.

But then...weeks later...after the evil penguin haunts him in his sleep, begging him to uninstall windows....his mind begins to alter. He becomes corrupt, and starts to picket outside Microsoft HQ, dressed as a giant furry penguin.

Finally...he gets home...and decides to play with the computer...only to learn that something is horribly wrong...that he cannot do anything of use...that everything is strange and murky...so he logs in as root....and BLAM! The computer explodes, bringing an end to this sad tale.

Originally posted by scabb

Oh no, that's simply not on Court. If you want acceptance into the world of linux it must be all or nothing. Especially if you plan to make a Micro$oft SUX website.

Yeah and these Micro$oft SUX websites are often made with Frontpage. It's hilarious.

--Erwin

I think opinions are very polarized, specially about the infamous "you can't play games with Linux". There are some good games for Linux, and they usually behave better under Linux (Quake is a a well-known example). As a programmer, I can tell you that nowadays it's easier to get any kind of code working under Linux rather than Win32, games _included_ (development tools are always better under any Unix-like OS, there are also a huge listing of libraries you could use for game development, ranging from the simple & easy to use TinyPTC to full-fledged libraries like SDL, OpenGL and others. I can ensure it as I've developed software under MS-DOS (the beggining, TurboC, Watcom & DJGPP), Linux (gcc, with some different distros), Solaris (Sun's cc & gcc), IRIX, Win32 (MSVC, C++Builder, MinGW) MacOS X; and the Unix environments were always better. Why almost all the games work with DirectX under Windows? It's just a matter of propaganda: there are lots of ads about Windows. Have you ever seen any Unix-like OS announced on TV?

Don't say Linux can't run games only because big companies do not release XXX (put your favourite game here) for Linux!

True.

But as long as all major software companies are developing for Windows, why would I want to switch? Why should I care about code working better under Linux rather than Win32? I'm just a simple user, who enjoys a fine adventure game, needs to use Office for uni and surfs on the internet. I'm not developing software with SDL, OpenGL and whatnot.

For me, Linux makes a fine fileserver but I'm not using it to play games.

Don't say Linux can't run games only because big companies do not release XXX (put your favourite game here) for Linux!

I've never heard anyone say that Linux can't run games. I think people mean that their favourite game isn't available in Linux, therefore they can't play that game.

--Erwin

PTDC, Do a search on Freshmeat for "adventure." I haven't looked at any of these projects, since I'm busy working along another route. But if you wanted to get started in a hurry, I'm sure one of these will do.

For playing games (not writing them), my primary workstation is dual-boot. Anything of any import I do under Linux, which has been the case for several years now. I use Linux because it works better, is much more powerful and flexible, and has in most application areas more high-quality software more readily available for less money.

Now, that said, there are always going to be a few specialty application areas in which you're going to have to deal with specific solutions, rather than generic operating systems. If you want to play a Mario Bros game, you have to use a Nintendo console system. If you want to play Crash Bandicoot, you need a Sony. At work here I have an embedded software debugger that runs only under Windows, so I have an old P-120 with 1.2GB HD and 64MB RAM dedicated to running Windows solely for this purpose. And I have a Windows partition on my home workstation dedicated to running games.

-TimK

"First, Linux needs to be made easier - A hell of a lot of people can't use Windows."

:o That doesn't even make sense. :rolleyes:

I too barf at the way many Slashdotters push Linux (over a cliff). But there's no sense to this: why someone would accuse people like me of being extremist wackos when all we're doing is getting work done and loving it. If you like Windows, by all means enjoy it! But that's no reason to be rude.

Altogether now: Troll! Troll! Troll! Troll! Troll!...

-TimK

At the moment I've gone back to a dual boot system. I managed to get wine working but it still takes a lot of tinkering to get software running. Until I can get something for linux I'll probably use AGS or SLUDGE. Linux isn't that hard to use and you get a much better understanding of how computers and operating systems work when using it.

• 4 weeks later...

The logs on my primary Linux server go back to September 22. I rebooted it exactly once during that time, on October 8, because of a power failure, but it did not crash. The last time I remember it crashing was several years ago, when I upgraded my hardware and needed also to upgrade the kernel to support the new hardware. Downloading and installing the upgrade fixed the problem.

I also have a Linux-based firewall machine, which has a similar record of low maintenance. I don't believe it has ever crashed since it's been in service.

My Linux desktop machine is half Wintendo, and so it gets rebooted much more frequently than the other boxes. I don't believe it has ever crashed, either... Except when running Windows, which crashes frequently on that system.

The general rule with Linux-based systems is that if it crashes you have a hardware problem. My workstation at my paying job, for example, tends to crash whenever the room temperature gets too high. This machine used to run Windows, and it crashed all the time. But it was only after I installed Linux that I was able to track down the primary cause. The solution was simple: Close the blinds in the afternoon when the sun shines through my office window. :)

-TimK

• 4 weeks later...

I don't believe that real Linux users exist. It's all a conspiracy. I mean, I've never met one.

I can't use Linux anyway. There are no drivers for my modem. Somebody program me some now.

The only reason I tried Linux in the first place was the penguin.

There are lots of people using Linux over there... maybe you live in some kind of ghetto where Microsoft has total control over all PCs... and nobody can use OSes better that Windows CE/ME/NT...

Drivers for modem? It isn't a problem. All real modems work, maybe your modem is fooling you because it's not a real modem... Keep in mind that you should accuse soft-modem manufacturers, as they don't provide specifications of their modems to the vasy community of Linux developers, so they can't make good drivers for those modems...

And I don't think that people use Linux only because of the penguin: there are some more resonable reasons to use it.

Yes, I do have a software modem, but as it was given to me free of charge, and I don't want to fork out £50+ for another DSL modem or router, I think I'll stick with Windows.

That's my main reason. Other reasons include the people living in my house who also use this PC, as it is partly theres.

When I did install Mandrake, I found it pretty useless, because I am not a programmer, and I do not need constant uptime (Although Windows 2000 has not crashed on me yet).

The main reasons that I use my computer are recreation and research, both done on the internet. As previously discussed, I am not willing to buy more compatible hardware.

And the Lilo boot screen is annoying.

In Conclusion: That last post was semi-serious, I assumed that most people have the ability to read between the lines. I accused nobody in my posts, although I do admit that the modem manufacturers are at fault for delaying the release of the Linux drivers, and not releasing the modem specification to the general pale-faced, condescending linux crowd.

And PT, at least my modem does more than 56 k's per s. ;)

Archived