Home

who was the idiot!

sHeEpS

who said! hey let's use the jedi knight 1 engine for obi wan...

that is sad..

Jedit Knight 1 was a alright engine in its day but now its complete crap, i dont have an xbox, or am i a fan of xbox, but to use the jk1 engine was just plain stupidity...

Is it impossible for people other then the id team to make engines now adays... *sigh*

Personally, I prefer custom engines for games over the Q3 engine. Have you ever played "the Thing" or "Spider-Man; The Movie" for PC? Those engines (although they lack MP) kick major portions of ass. And I strongly recommend that if they EVER make a JK3, that the folks at Raven should start working on a brand new engine, capable of far more than the Q3 engine.

But, going with the original topic, yes, the JK1 engine DOES suck (I assume, though, that you're referring to Dark Forces 2. If not, ignore my statement. I don't know much about the previous Jedi Knight games, so if you're not talking about DF2, don't thrash out at me).

Isn't Karma just a physics engine?

Unreal 2003 uses the Unreal engine but with the Karma physics engine incorporated into it.

And isn't DOOM III using the DOOM III engine?

And Obi Wan does not use the Sith engine. It uses it's very own, sucky engine. It probably would have been better with the Sith engine. :D

Oh yeah, and this goes to the swamp. :rhett:

no no, obi wan DOES use the Jedi Knight 1 engine (Dark Forces 2), and im not joking, thats why the graphics are complete crap..

and i think your right about the karma engine though.. but anyway.. they still use some aspect in eachother that has somethin to do with engines..

Remember the days where engines on consoles were completely different to engines on computers.. i mean the goldeneye engine never went to pc, neither did all the bonds, or most of the racing games.. those were the days..

I think the law of Star Wars Video Games runs parallel with my own law of Sci Fi Movies.

For every good Sci-Fi movie, is followed by 20 bad ones.

Star Wars related games fit that category to a tee. Most of them seem rushed and lack inovation or any originality . Though some sound promising, yet do not deliver. Perfact past examples would be Rebel Assualt II, Jedi Power Battles, Star Wars Demolition Racer, The Phantom Menace, Star Wars:Master of Teras Kasi. I have most of these titles, but I will admit they all had major flaws. Most of them lacked any replay value. The Dark Forces Trilogy, and Rouge Squadron seem to be the only titles that hold there own.

obi-wan was going to be for the pc but then they changed it to xbox because they decided to do jk II for pc instead. after seeing the screenshots for ob-wan i'm so glad they did.

does anyone know what engine spider-man the movie uses?

the game's graphics and motion was fantastic, it was ashame the gameplay was abit limited, but the graphics made up for that.

it uses the spiderman engine before it, but its really really really souped up (i think thats right).. either that or it uses its own entirely different engine..

Minority Report is using the spiderman engine..

I played spiderman the movie on gcn, and the controls were dodgy ,so i didnt like it that much :/

Originally posted by acdcfanbill

Lithtech is a good engine, played the Nolf2 demo yet :D

i got nolf free with my graphics card and i only just played the other day. it better than i thought, the cut scenes are abit crap.

is nolf2 better than the first?

I'm afraid you heard wrong (and Rhett is correct).

That's right, the Sith engine used by Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Star Wars: Droid Works, etc. is NOT the same as the one used by Star Wars: Obi-Wan for the Xbox!

Obi-Wan uses its OWN engine, called Tanis. I know Obi-wankenobi.net is gone now (we miss ye!) but that fact was stated over and over on the site, quoted by the Obi-Wan team itself. We had high hopes for the game, but oh well, that's behind us.

The Sith engine was great in its day. Maybe it didn't have dedicated servers, but the levels were big and bold, and the action was fast. It was just right for what it set out to do.

Everybody will always be impressed with the latest new FPS engine, be it attached to a game like UT2k3, QuakeIV, Doom3, or what-have-you, but all that really matters is gameplay. Picking the right engine is important, but its what you DO with it that matters in the end. ; )

yes but sometimes engines limit the gameplay, for example deus ex, which used the unreal engine, was very limited because not many people could be displayed on one map, making it a very boring game at times..

And i read in about 3 reviews that obi wan uses the jk1 engine..

Originally posted by Jedi Spy

OMG!!!!!

ID = DOOM PEOPLE

IDIOT? WHERE? :confused:

what are you trying to prove?

yes id made doom, and the quake series, and wolfenstein, and commander keen, and someother crappy games that no one has ever heard of..

ok.. *goes off to start coding*...

*comes back* how do you code?

But seriously, even though i can't code for ****, it would have been much smarter to just use an engine like the quake 3 engine (how dated it is!) or the unreal engine even.. rather then the piece of crap they used to string together a below average game that we call obiwan, although the right analog stick lightsabreing was pretty cool..

Now though, JK2 is going to GCN and Xbox, so im happy, my good ol' GCN will be playin JK2, WOOHOO!

Archived