Home

1.04 killed dueling (no skill)

r0t0r00t

I went to 1.04 to try it out. It sucks. People run around swinging their saber wildly hoping to kill someone.

There are few, if any, people who have saber skills in 1.04. 1.03 obviously is where all the good people are dueling.

If I played 1.04 religiously I would be mad that people like me (from 1.03) or noob's, can join and kick the arses of people who have been playing for months and months. It just shows that 1.04 has been made to please noob's. So that anyone at any time regardless of skill (or time spent practicing) can win a duel.

The people who don't like 1.03, don't because theyd rather just pretend its quake and hold their fire button down... running around. That's not a duel - its a fragfest and as such should have been left in Quake.

I'm off to find a new game... I won't complain and keep playing. I will just remember how raven/Lucas Arts ruined such a good game and think twice before I purchase another one of their titles...

Which I can say now I won't.

The same was said about 1.03. It was made to applease the newbies that hated being killed in 2 hits, or worse, DFAed.

1.04 is the same as 1.03 with the exception of appleasing more by removing the quick kills like 1.02.

And if you seriously get killed by anyone in 1.04, then you have a lot of work to do. I suggest playing on the Darkside servers, most of the good duelers play there.

I myself who never changed from 1.02 because I didnt like 1.03, repatched my JKII last night back to 1.04 so I could try out some of the mods, I tried promod first but didnt see too many servers using plus I didnt see much of a change. (dont flame im sure there is I just need to play with it more) but since I didnt see any promod servers I just went back to 1.04 to give it yet another shot. (ive patched several times and went back almost immediatly) Being proficient in 1.02 I was strugling at best to kill anyone in 1.04, but I though to myself " I just need to give it a serious shot, this time" since I was once new at 1.02. I played this game for over an hour and probably only killed 5 or 6 people by saber, I probably wasnt killed any more than that by some elses saber either, again I thought just need to get used to it so I kept playing. The last straw came about 15 minutes after that when I was playing CTF on the Yavin map. both teams had stolen the flag and our teams flag holder had made it back to our base safely so then it was up to us to go get our flag back so he could cap. I finally found him running around the middle being chased by himself by 4 of my teamates slashing at him. I then joined in the fight. so 5 of us were chasing this guy around and he was tough to hit as he was an excellent bunny-hopper but between me pulling him back and all 5 of us slashing away I assumed it wouldnt be long till he was toast. well this chase lasted for well over 5 minutes, 5 MINUTES WITH 5 GUYS CHASING HIM AND HITTING HIM. that never would have happened with any of the other patches. well I dont know what happened but somehow our flag holder was killed, and to make a long story short we coulnt kill him before he got back and capped. This to me was the last straw. I will not play regular 1.04 again as its outlived its 9 lives. Im going to leave it installed so I can try some of the mods and see if they can actually bring some balance back to the game like 1.02 had. if not then my MP days are over and sice ive already beat this game on one player ill probably just give the game away and let someone else play it for about an hour before they decided it sucks.

[/rant off]

This is ridiculous - I take it you are referring to the "nerfing" of the backstab in relation to it's previous power (but not in relation to other moves).

Why do 1.03 take more skill? You don't provide any real info as to why it does, but say that you run around in 1.04 hoping to kill something. *Exactly´* the same happens in 1.02/3 I could say - the difference is that in 1.03 you just ran around with backstabs and tried to hit something.

In 1.03 a lucky newbie could score easy kills with the backstab, not so in 1.04. Now it's just me, my saber and a truckload of lunges I need to worry about - no more über moves that are so grotesquely powerful that it's the only move thinking about.

There are few, if any, people who have saber skills in 1.04. 1.03 obviously is where all the good people are dueling.

I happen to agree with Derski that CTF is fux0red because of the low damage, but since I only duel anyway, I won't have any further say in that matter. However, saying that there's hardly any people with saber skills in 1.04 leads me to believe that you need to rethink your opinion on how games work - if you haven't left already.

If you get killed my a 'n00b' then you're not nearly as good as you think you are. I don't care who you are, it's that simple. There are fluke victories in EVERY game, the thing that gets me is when 2 equal leveled player fight, THEN it gets to be a bit more silly. But if you get owned by new players, then you need to take a good long hard look at how YOU are playing

wow. r0t0r00t really sounds ripe for playing ProMod. He sounds like me right before I started coding it.

There's generally 12-20 ProMod servers out there right now. That'll increase once I release the next version and jkii.net gives me some press time.

I just wish that servers would up the saber damage to x2 (I find x3 a bit much, but still good). At least in CTF and FFA. That would make the saber much more useful. Other than that, I find 1.04 to be pretty damn good. Just my opinion though...

Archived