Home

Ladder "Co-op" Mode

icefox98

Ouch.

What more can I say? This "Co-op" mode" was a far cry from what people were thinking was going to be released. The NPCs appear to be ice skating, never EVER facing any PCs, swinging randomly and I could get through the entire thing without losing 1 shield. Oh and no Dessan. Oh, and the score system was beyong repair. Oh, and the lag was horrible with two people.

Please, don't release a Pre-alpha version of something saying its the full, shiny full version. I have seen MANY, MANY alpha versions of mods and games that tottaly blew "Co-op" mode out of the water.

Final Word: This version of Co Op Mode is unplayable. It is worthless. Good luck with Unreal 2003....least the jkII community doesnt have to deal with you anymore. =)

Sorry if I sound harsh. But I'm damn sick of WLS making hollow promises, and releasing pre alpha version of maps, "game modes," etc. Maybe you will have more luck with the new Unreal engine....I sure hope so.

I made it very clear that the coop mod would be released AS-IS, meaning that we would release it in the state it would be when it was decided to stop development on it. All development afterwards has just been done to make sure it compiled as a vm as well.

The source has been made available, for others to continue with the ai if they want to.

When referring to our duel mappack, there were some maps in it that shouldn't have been in it, but as you can see our ctf mappack is what a mappack has to be, and there were 2 maps that did not make it, both who were 50+ hrs work. But they didn't feel right so they didn't make it.

Rather than complaining here every time, you should consider the hours of work that went ito everything we created.

I really hate to sound mean, but I guess that's how I have to come off in order to try and make a point....

All I have seen is excuses being made, and the one thing being said over and over again is, "We put a ba gillion hours into this one texture," etc etc... Okay....

That still doesn't mean people can't critique your stuff.

I have read your previous posts about the Co-Op mode and NO WHERE did you elude to the fact that it was a non-working, horrible piece of crap, but quite the contrary, saying it'll work fine, but oh too bad we can't do bigger maps.

So, saying The Co-Op Mode will WORK on user created maps, but not official maps means, "We put a ba gillion hours into this project and don't be suprised if its the worst mod you have ever played."

Uh...okay. It's quite easy to SAY you said one thing, when we can all just go back and read your prior posts.

I can see you kind of lost it. Calling the community a bunch of whiners if you didnt release the mod....

The only reason we wanted the mod in the first place was because you said it would work fine on user created maps.

Always getting the people's hopes up with words, then dragging them kicking and screaming down when the actual product is released....

I'm considering getting UT2003....I kind of feel sorry for the huge Unreal Community whos hopes will be raised extremely high, then given a crappy product and called a bunch of whiners....if only someone could warn them. :rolleyes:

You're correct that in my first posts I was referring to it as a working product and not a product with basic AI. Yet at that moment the decision was not made to switch to Unreal Tournament, and the coop would still be one of our projects in development. But once again, coop was one of our minor projects.

Also, I would agree with you on the texture thing, if I spend hours working on a texture in paint there is a 90% change that it'll look like crap. That the coop isn't what everyone expected, we know. That you don't like the way it is now, we know as well.

And here is the post where I said that the coop would be released 'as-is'. Maybe that didn't make it clear enough, it can be interpreted in another way I agree on that.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76670

If you want to warn the UT2003 community for us, be my guest. At this moment we released a duel mappack, a CTF mappack and a basic version of coop. The Duel mappack was pretty good, some of the maps shouldn't have been in it, we agree on that, but as a first release it wasn't that bad. The CTF mappack is very good and the release of it has been as planned, quality over quantity. The coop was released and wrapped up once we knew that we were going to make the switch to Unreal Tournament 2003. It was released under the certain conditions, and as-is. There was some miscommunication towards the community, I agree on that. The decision was made by TheSnerd and me, since we decided that we will need all our resources for Unreal Tournament 2003.

I hate the join in the 'bash WLS' thread...but I just feel I just voice my oppinions on the CTF map pack. The maps (btw, I finally got them all working by cleaning out old/unused maps, apparently I did hit some kind of limit) look outstanding. To the eye they are definately visually pleasing, at least in my view. After spending a few nights and several CTFs playing on each of them though I feel extremely let down. As far as playability goes they leave ALOT to be desired.

The first map. Definately reminds me of Bespin in that it's layout makes no sense what so ever. Didnt seem so bad with about 5 players per team but any less than that and you're wasting your time.

Map #2, The teleporters really throw off the SW feel of the game. That was the first thing I noticed. Plus the positioning of the flags make them very easy to defend by even just a single person with at least a modicum of skill.

The lighting and textures in the 3rd map give the blue team a distinct advantage making them almost invisible all the time. Layout on it is ok, but could've definately done with a little more thought put into it.

And the last map. Not much to say about this one other than it's too damn big considering how often you can find a CTF server with 20+ people, let alone one with 20+ people willing to run non-standard maps.

I'd like to state again that these are only my oppinions of the maps, I do respect the work put into them and the people that made em. Just that they dont fit into my view of what a CTF map should be like, nor the views of the other players on the servers I frequent (we had a 2 map discussion one night about em :) ).

Hi,

thanks a lot for your opinion, it is appreciated. First of all I would like to say that the maps were created with a 6-8 playernumber in mind, which is a normal number of players imho. We cannot help it that there aren't a lot of servers who host custom maps and that there aren't a lot of people playing these maps. Sometimes I do wonder why custom maps are created, since no servers seem to be running them anyway. If you take that in mind the playability of the map does increase.

Takimoto's map has indeed an easy to defend flag, we wanted to have at least 1 map that forces you to play as a team to get the flag, rather than the usual I'm going in alone tactic. I agree though, it is indeed hard to get to the flag.

I'm having a little problem with the teleporters, why do they throw off the star wars feel of the game?

I haven't really checked the advantages/disadvantages of the teams, since I check the maps on their design, and when I play all detail goes down and brightness goes up. You got a point there though, but all I can tell you is to increase your brightness.

The fourth map is indeed pretty big, but still playable. Of course, if you are doing a 4v4 ctf it won't be that much of fun, but for 6-8 players it is playable. We also took the raven ctf maps into consideration, and some of their maps are bigger than ctf_wls4.

Would like to thank you to for the well-documented comments, that's not bashing that you are, that's just an opinion ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived