Home

Has anyone made their system SWG ready, yet?

Exar Kun II

Working the bugs out of my new pc,

P4, 2.4G 512k L2, 533mhz bus

512MB pc 800

Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB

48x cd + 40x/10x/40x cdrw

latest speed tests down the cable pipe have averaged 3.3 megabits per sec. so I guess I'm ready... Bad news that the latest is that it wont likely be out until at least Feb....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well... at the moment i have a 566 celeron

256 ram

GEforce 2 - 32 meg card

i doubt it will run

plans are im gonna get a new motherboard (something around 1.5 Gig)

and a GE force 4 TI 4600 or something

and i got a 19 inch monitor and cable con already

so that should do me good right?

Just updated my PC...well sorta bought a brand new one:

Pentium 4 1.6ghz

512 mb DDR

Biostar Intell Motherboard

19" monitor

40gig hard drive

just need to update my Geforce 2 to maybe a Geforce 5 when nVidia releases it and call it a day!

Originally posted by Wraith 8

Yep... my system is ready for Star Wars Galaxies.....

i have:

Pentium IV 2.0 Ghz

512 MB ram

73 GB Harddisk

Geforce 4 64 mb

DVD player

CD burner

Subwoofer

Lexmark printer (prints, scans, fax and coppier in one)

Webcam

17" screen

Your PC is pretty much the same as mine, but I have a Gforce 4 MX and a few more Gig in the hard Drive. I am pretty worried about my 56K modem though.

It is done.

Now all my graphics can be set to 'high' and everything. Yay. :)

Actually, I was more impressed with loading times. I've gone from 933MHz to 2.5GHz. I have the memory to use all the graphics options in EQ, and yet it takes less than half the time to load. It's one step closer to a ST:TNG computer; I am pleased. The fact that I've put this machine together by myself (without it blowing up) makes me so happy I don't care about the gas company threatening to cut me off, lol.

Sure, one or three things to be ironed out, but after spending the last 24hrs with uninterrupted bouts of Max Payne, Jedi Outcast and Hitman 2, I'm not complaining.

Yoda-voice: My Christmas present to myself, this is. :syoda:

if you dont mind me butting in here wel i have 2 questions

first i already kno i need a new graphics card but these r my questions

1. is a celeron processor (1.1ghz) going to be good enough?

2. does anyone kno the requirements on the game __gb/mb __ram & cd drive speed? thx

• 4 weeks later...

My setup so far:

AMD Athlon +2000 1.67GHz

256 DDR SDRAM (will get more)

40GB HD

DVD-ROM

RW-ROM

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX-420 (will upgrade, prolly to 4600 Ti)

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Dolby Digital 6.1, THX approved (the only card in the world that is :D )

Inspire 6.1 6700 speaker set.

So, so far I have taken care of the sound issue. :D

Well, first of all, to the people who don't know what RAM is, RAM stands for Random Access Memory.

It's a small chipboard that temporarly stores instructions and data to run a program (either a paint program or a game and so forth) so the CPU (Central Processing Unit) can access it faster, rather than getting it from the Hard Drive.

Exactly how different is the speed you ask?

Well, if an average computers CPU could access the RAM in about 200ns (nano second), accessing the hard drive would take 12 000 000ns for the same operation.

In perspective, that's taking a 3 1/2 minute operation by using RAM, compared to 4 1/2 months to do the same using just the Hard Drive. :eek:

So, more RAM = gooooood :D

Now, the most common RAM type is called DRAM: Dynamic Random Access Memory.

It's called dynamic because it can only hold data for a short period of time and must be refreshed periodically.

SDRAM stands for Synchronized DRAM. This means that it synchronises with the CPU system clock, or M/GHz. This makes the RAM and CPU communicate better because they both run by the same clock (Ex. 400 MHz), increasing the speed of the computer.

Todays computers use mostly the DDR SDRAM, or Double Data Rate SDRAM. This means the RAM can transfer twice the amount of data as an ordinary SDRAM.

Now, keep in mind that none of these are compatible to eachother. You need to know what kind of RAM you have.

Buying all new parts and throwing them together. I'm not rich but I been puting a bit away every pay week and getting the parts bit by bit.

here it is.

Got new Mobo: Gigabyte K7 Trinton 400, AGP8X, 6-2.0 USB ports,duel Bios

Getting AMD Athlon XP 2.8 ghz

Got a 21'' IBM monitor..it kicks ass!..:)

Got ATI Radeon 9700 pro 128mb..with TV out..:)

Getting 1014 gig DDR

Getting Sound Blaster Audigy 2

Getting those custome made Towers with the neon green gel coolent w/ around 500 watts..not sure what watts they come in.

Got Subwoofer system

Got cable connection

Getting DVD burner/ROM

I got a question maybe some one can asnwer for me.

These damn AMD chips..they say 1900, 2100, 2400, 2700 and 2800..I been looking on site like pricewatch and tigerdirect and these CPUs that say like 2700..the mhz say 2.17..is that 2.1?.

If so, I can't find anything faster then 2.1..I mean..I thought the 2400 meant 2.4 or 2700 means 2.7...why the hell aren't they making it easy to tell..I go to a store the people tell me that amd 2400 is 1.9 mhz..how the hell am I sapose to tell the speed of that amd and why can't i find anything over 2.1 if this is true?

Jan, thanks for all of the good info. I did know what RAM was, but I did not know what the different types were. I know that mine does have SDRAM though.

Anyway, regarding graphics cards. I just installed DirextX9 on my system, but I have the Pentium4 1.5gig processor and motherboard. Does this represent a problem? Should I switch back to a previous version post 8.1? Is there a card I can install to fix this? I have noticed that NWN is extremely choppy and near unplayable since I upgraded to XP, but I just thought that was caused by the Norton 2001 confliction. Please advise.

AMD XP 1800+

1024 DDR PC2700

Radeon 9700 Pro (Catalyst 3.0)

80GB HDD

16X DVD Samsung

24x CD-RW LG

A7V266E mobo

Win XP Prof (SP1)

512k ADSL

Hercules Game Theatre XP w/6.2 Surround set up

Why would you buy a GF4 ti4600 when a Radeon 9700 Pro is the same price? Plus you get DX 9 compliance, it makes no sense. :koon:

*AHEM* ;)

AMD XP 2200+

2 ghz DDR RAM

80 GB HD

Albatron GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128 mb

Windows XP pro

8 Fans

Audigy Gamer

Creative Labs 5.1 Surround sound Speakers

I don't know if I should buy a joystick for when the Space Expansion Comes out. Any advice?

Longjocks, you might have the same problem I use to have (before switching to broadband ;)) Everyone told me to buy a new modem....it wasn't the modem, it was my phonelines. Instead of running another phoneline, they just split the original line for the secondary, allowing me to only run at half speed. Eitherway, get broadband :)

My current computer definitely won't run the game...but my soon to be finished one will....its been a christmas present for the past 2 years (since its constantly being worked on....but finally we decided to just upgrade the mobo since the last one was causing all the dang problems)

So here's my projected specs:

2ghz or higher cpu

1024mb SDRAM

120 gig HD

GeForce 4600ti Vid Card (if at all possible...which should be ;))

I'll probably repost when the darn thing is finished!

Archived