Home

Monkey Island I Box Art -- Hidden Picture? (and other stuff)

Anyone remember a picture on the back of the ORIGINAL MI box of Spiffy (the dog in the bar) CLOSE UP? I have definitely seen this picture somewhere -- maybe on an old advert... Anyone else remember it?

Just to clarify: I'm talking about a close up picture of the dog in the Scumm Bar -- like when you talk to him or something you see a close up that wasn't actually used in the game.

Also: Anyone noticed how the 'emaciated Charles Atlas' line is gone from recent versions? (Guybrush says it when you look at the statue in the Voodoo Lady's melee island office).

Also also: Has anyone ever noticed that there's a FISH hanging above the door in the Woodsmith's shop in MI2 -- but only in the Amiga version... Strangely there's nothing there in the PC version.

Also also also: Anyone remember how all the previews of MI2 said the plot line revolved around LeChuck's BROTHER coming back for revenge? Anyone? Anyone at all? Or is it all just me?

~ TP

Aha the mystery of Spiffy, it just so happens that this one has recently been solved.

I spent the best part of half a day playing every version of MI to find that damm dog - upshot it just wasnt there.

Later Jake used his contacts (ie he sent an email) to solve the mystery once and for all.

He got the following reply:

No, that was very specifically a rip off. It was in the game, but it got cut because of disk space. We thought it was un ethical to put on the box, but we also liked the Steve Purcell art so much, and we thought people should be able to see it somewhere, so we left it on. It’s amazing how many people saw the picture on the box, and then in their memories, imagined it was in the game.

Ive spent the best part of 10 years insisting that I saw the dog in the game once.

The moral of this story? Some mystery are best left unresolved¬¬

Muahaha. Well... I think someone should at least TRY to find it! :) After all I've known about it for years and I'm surprised that no-one else has ever spotted it. (It's not much folks, so don't get your hopes up -- but it's worthy for a MI hardcore trivia geeks (like me :))

Has NO-ONE ever seen this before??

~ John

AHA found it.

I see what you mean now, its inside the .info file that contains the icon information.

"Secret of Monkey Icon by Aaron Muszalski....G; with no help from anybody ever! (Especially not Ron Gilbert.)....*; except: Bret Barrett (Hair,logo tweaks)....*; Ben Emmerich (Drapes... and my dishes!)....'; Thanks all! Enjoy the game. Peace......;.....; P.S. I love you Annabelle!."

It's also very noteworthy that the "(Especially not Ron Gilbert)" line was deliberately hidden past the edge of the line, and not visible unless you accidentally stumbled across it on the original 1.3 kickstart workbench.

It always made me wonder what it was REALLY like a LucasArts, somebody putting a HIDDEN line in like that.

Does it mean something or is it just a joke? Hmmmm!

~ John

Wow! Look what Aaron has been up to since he made that icon file!!!

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,3835/

and REALLY cool:

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Muszalski,+Aaron

He worked on CMI, TPM and even AOTC! I never knew that!

And here's a piccy of him!

http://www.fluxdesign.com/annodomino/team/images/aaron_orange.jpg

Ok, this is getting scary now!

~ John

Here it is: The complete story of the hidden message!

I managed to email Aaron Muszalski and what a jolly nice chap he is! He told me the whole story:

Basically our man Aaron was working as a Tester at LEC on Secret of Monkey Island. In the weeks leading up to the big release, the credits for the opening sequence still hadn't been figured out, so "comedy" credits were inserted by Dave Grossman and Tim Shaffer (and whoever else) in each version.

One version came which tickled Aaron's ribs simply said:

THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND

by Dave Grossman and Tim Schaffer

with no help from anyone ever!

(Especially not Ron Gilbert.)

And so it became an office running joke: Everytime you did something you'd say you did it "with no help from anyone ever!".

It's also worth noting that the reason the icon file is so huge and cool is because it was his first job in the Art Dept. and he wanted to show people what he could do (a small icon wouldn't look very impressive!). He has since gone on to do work on CMI, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Men in Black II -- all from that one icon!

Wow.

What a cool little story, huh?

~ John

Originally posted by jannar85

Huz? Jake? You still there? Read my almost last post....:compcry:

Dude, I wasn't calling *you* a "stupid dog" - I was just expressing the fact that I, too, thought I had seen Spiffy in-game. I was one of the ones going mad trying to find it. :)

Also, John, best story ever. The MI1 icon was definitely the coolest icon I had. :)

Does anyone have a picture of the Amiga icon anywhere that they can upload? I've never seen it. Same with Monkey 2, even though that one probably isnt as impressive?

Here's the Mac icons though I doubt anyone is super impressed by them after seeing this awesome outrageous amiga one, whatever it looked like. :)

macicons.gif

Archived