Home

Most Wanted: Scumm Utilities

Benny

Right, here's my attempt to inject some life into this forum.

In this thread, post requests for a Scumm related utility you'd like to see. By that I mean ripping/changing/viewing utilities more than new interpreters and engines but if thats what you want post it.

Once we've got a fair number of requested utilites we can have a poll and see which is the most wanted and then discuss the technical feasibility of it (how you'd go about making it).

A daft idea? Probably, but we can see how it goes.

Originally posted by bgbennyboy

Right, here's my attempt to inject some life into this forum.

Hm, not much life yet :)

Alright, how about this. I offer to make my best attempt at coding the most wanted utility - if it's feasible, of course.

Hell yes Jake, a cutscene viewer would rock to hell! Even just CMI and Grim cutscene viewer would be great!

And an extension to the dialogue ripper and editor, make it a dialogue tree browser :)

Oooh, and on a separate note, find out how to activate the Star Wars swordfighting in CMI.

I think some kind of animation ripper would be quite good. Like you select your game, then character, then you see a list of all the animations they have, and you can convert it to .gif at the touch of a button!

It would be a lot easier than sticking loads of skins together, and the end result would probably be a lot less jerky.

Animation Ripper! Tis good idea, seems unfeasable though.

How about....damn, all the good ideas have been taken :)

Erm....A Costume ripper? :naughty:

Or maybe some more graphics filters....crazy ones, that reduce stuff to 16 colours, make the colours negative, add Sepia filtering, distort the game..

I also always wanted a font that was like the dialog in MI. Make me one!

Or make a programme that will allow you to edit characters, so you can import yourself into Monkey Island

Maybe the most-wanted killer utility would be a set of compiler/editor to make games that could be run by the Scumm engine. It could be insuperable if the generated data could be interpreted by the CMI version of the Scumm engine.

Best regards,

I like the sound of that dialogue tree explorer, Murray. The other suggestions (apart from the SCUMM compiler) sound like something that would have a limited lifespan - but you could play around with a dialogue viewer, like, forever!

Or until you got fed up of reading/hearing dialogue, man.

Well, sometime in the next month or two I plan to write Descumm1 (because in the next month we hope to start ScummVM support for MM/Zak)... so I don't see why not ;)

Originally posted by ThunderPeel2001

All I have ever wanted is something to decompile the OLD SCUMM games (like MM, Zak, Last Crusade) will I ever get to see one? :(

~ John

• 1 month later...

Heh I completely forgot about this thread. I was doing a dialogue ripper/editor but its on hold. I'll do a poll in the new year I think, we could do with some more suggestions.

ScummIDE is disqualified from any poll since its already in development so dont ask for that. Be original ppl, costume/akos rippers to animated gifs? Theres loads of stuff that could be made. Get suggesting.

• Map generators, so you can see the interconnections between various rooms. Various views, tree, etc.
  • An idea for the dialogue browser, an interactive mode, so you can play the conversations without entering a game. Not sure if that's really so interesting, but should be simple if you've a working browser anyway.
  • "cheats" for getting every pickable object in the game, just for the hell of it. Not like that would make it more fun to play. Now that I think about it, you might strike that.
  • I suppose it would be possible, although hard, to do a drunky mode. Mess with the path-finding, make all dialogue schilly, etc.

Archived