Home

Can Someone Recommend A Good Book?

Guest Dave Maul

Guest Dave Maul

I know it's off topic, but there are so many people here, it's better than nothing.

At my school, there is a contest to be a judge at an upcoming Best Book-kinda thing. I was bored, and I didn't quite hear the question, but I said I'd be interested.

So, can anybody give me a few good book titles to write a review of? They don't have to be Star Wars, but I'd prefer them to be.

Thanks.

------------------

darthmaulprv.gif

Dave Maul

[This message has been edited by Dave Maul (edited June 22, 2000).]

Guest Kurgan

Time and Again and it's sequel From Time to Time both by Jack Finney.

Great time travel stuff.

Also, Le Morte D'Arthur("The Death of Arthur") by Sir Thomas Malory. The definitive King Arthur romance collection.

1984 by George Orwell. Better than Animal Farm.

Plenty of others, but those come to mind right away...

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited June 20, 2000).]

Guest ihatecrosswinds

I'd have to agree with Kurgan's suggestion of 1984. It is an excellent book, although I can't vouch for the claim that it's better than Animal Farm, because I haven't read Animal Farm yet.

------------------

banner_.jpg

Guest Kurgan

The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X and Alex Haley is very good.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, although they are technically for children, are also a good read.

Kurgan

Guest Jedi Kanigget

Since everyone else gave non-Star Wars books, I'll suggest Star Wars, in no particular order.

1. Heir to the Empire Timothy Zahn

2. Dark Force Rising Timothy Zahn

3. The Last Command Timothy Zahn

4. Vector Prime R.A. Salvatore

5. Dark Tide I: Onslaught Michael Stackpole (Heard Dark Tide II: Ruin was just as good. I haven't read it yet, so I couldn't say for sure.)

6. Planet of Twilight Barbara Hambly

7. I, Jedi Michael Stackpole

------------------

SigFinII.jpg

Darth Wart's Strategy Guide in a friendly, easy to use form!(Sorry, that was bad.)

http://JediPowerBattlesGuide.homestead.com/JPB.html

Guest Maxamis Decamis Meridious

My favorite all-time book would have to be The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien. It is amazing!

Guest DarthMace

<center> i suggeust The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn both by Mark Twain (yes i know that Mark Twain is not his real name)

------------------

mace2.gif

DarthMace the evil twin of JediMace master of both the ligthtdagger and lightsaber

ex-dark lord of the Sith Order

member of the un-council

team coach

Guest Dave Maul

Thanks guys. I'll go to the library at the weekend and see what I can get.

------------------

darthmaulprv.gif

Dave Maul

Guest jedihorn1

Originally posted by Jedi Kanigget:

Since everyone else gave non-Star Wars books, I'll suggest Star Wars, in no particular order.

1. Heir to the Empire Timothy Zahn

2. Dark Force Rising Timothy Zahn

3. The Last Command Timothy Zahn

4. Vector Prime R.A. Salvatore

5. Dark Tide I: Onslaught Michael Stackpole (Heard Dark Tide II: Ruin was just as good. I haven't read it yet, so I couldn't say for sure.)

6. Planet of Twilight Barbara Hambly

7. I, Jedi Michael Stackpole

Everything Kanigget put except Planet of Twilight. Ruin rocks! Non SW: Where the Red Fern Grows, Dune, This Present Darkness, Piercing the Darkness, Hatchet, Another Fine Myth. (All the Myth Books Rock! Gonna have to read them again)

Guest Kurgan

2001: A Space Odyssey is pretty good.

If you're a hardcore fanatic, then read the other one's too.. although they destroy the initial mystery of the film, they make a nice set of stories.

2061: Odyssey Three is the best, IMHO, and 3001 probably the worst.

These all by none other than Arthur C. Clarke.

It has bits of humor and fantasy thrown in with the "science" and "fiction."

The Illustrated Man (by Ray Bradbury)is a marvelous collection of twisted sci-fi short stories, woven into one thread, pretty nice stuff, some of it quite spooky.

Kurgan

[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited June 22, 2000).]

Guest Saesee Tom

What about that new SW book coming out... I forget what it's called but it's about Anakin and Obi-Wan facing the Trade Federation for the final time.

It's in the SW Magazine, but I can't be bothered to get it at the moment.

Guest Dave Maul

I've already heard that Rogue Planet wasn't very good, but thanks anyway guys.

------------------

darthmaulprv.gif

Dave Maul

Guest Ray Park

The Life and Times of Margerat Thatcher's Chauffer.

Rivetting drama! Intense action! A defenite must read for all harcore %$*$*&^(ers!

Or you could read my revision of The Lion King.

I used to write a lot, mostly sci fi/fantasy (I'm still trying to figure out what the difference is). I haven't been lately, but I decided to write Star Craft. Tell me your email addresses if your interested in reading it. I'd appreciate anyone's help and criticism.

Unless you're really STUPID!!!

-) the cyclops is happy

Guest Sorcerer_Vinny

Hey Ive got some good reads:

Anything by Herman Hesse (Demian and Siddhartha are best)

Thomas Malory was good too. Lord of the Rings too but thats a long read...and Gandalf wasnt as cool as I wanted him to be. *sigh*

------------------

qui02.jpg Sorcerer_Vinny

Guest Ray Park

ARE YOU NUTS?!!!! You don't understand subtlety much do you? I read those books multiple times each and each time I pick up more and more nuances to Gandalf's character.

I mean, geez, in what way did he not satisfy you? Did you even understand the situation the characters were in in that story? Gandalf's behaviour and decisions were perfect and were really what allowed them to win the war. Also his dry and cutting sene of humor, and his boldness and quiet agressiveness when facing the Lord of the Nazgul. And the fact that he fought all the Nazgul by himself on Wheathertop.

Hey Dave, read The Lord of the Rings. They're the first fantasy books ever written and cover all the ground of the entire genre. The whole world of Fantasy wouldn't be here if it weren't for Tolkein.

Guest Hannibal

The Myth Series by Robert Asprin(spelling) is good.

------------------

Man Eating Vice President of the Un-Council

Meet my temporary bodygard, they call him Orange-Karate Guy Thingy

wushu_small_ani.gif

"Death to the dead!"

Guest Stormtrooper

I Recommend 1984 too, all the Red Dwarf books and all the Terry Pratchett books. SW books: i think that darksaber is good and so's jedi search and dark apprentice. OH yeah, TOLKEIN SUCKS!!!

Sorry I really hate him. Also, Captain Corelli's mandolin and all the other books by Louis de Bernieres are brilliant. Can't think of anymore at the moment.

Archived