Home

ProMod: Maps Wanted!

ArtifeX

As I've been working on the next version of ProMod, I've decided that adding an official ProMod map pack would be worthwhile addition to Beta 3. So, what I'd like to get from the mappers out there are suggestions on the best maps for competitive/tournament play. I'm looking for all categories here, including CTF, FFA, TFFA, and Duel. I've seen some other threads on similar subjects, but I believe that the mappers themselves are a better judge of map quality than the average casual player.

Just add a link here to the file download, and an explanation as to why you think the map is great for competition. If you're not the author of the map, then I'll make sure to contact the author before I add it to the pack.

I'm not partial to any specific maps. There are many great maps out there. Massassi usually has nice critical reviews of submitted maps, but the comments are mostly based on aesthetics rather than playability.

My only requirements would be:

1. The map should not be so large/detailed that it adversely affects the framerate or becomes too laggy.

2. Any map MUST include BOT support. I play offline all the time, and I hate just having the BOTs jump around. I feel that a map without BOT support is an unfinished map.

3. Servers running ProMod (which *ought* to be all of them) would need to also run these maps

Suggestions:

1. Include an option which randomly cycles through maps rather than the way it is now -where it always cycles in the same sequence. This might also apply to game types. Just to add an element of surprise to the game.

2a. Why not also include a SkinPack? This way there would some consistancy among ProModers, and we could see the skins everyone is using.

2b. Do the same with saber hilts, and allow for customizable saber colors. (ProMod IS a 'saber' mod after all. Let's do it up!)

Sifo-Dyas

Originally posted by razorace

I'd keep the Mod a straight and simple gameplay Mod

I disagree, i think the extra goodies would increase the popularity of promod in a huge way. Take a look at the servers right now, there are lots of people playing jedimod and barely anyone playing promod. That tells me that most people prefer sub par gameplay with all the flashy extras over promods better gameplay and no flashy extras.. its sad but thats the way it is.

Still whats it gonna hurt? the core of promod would still be intact, none of those extras really effect gameplay except for maybe dual/double sabers and model scaling. Fact is people like eye candy and if they don't get their dose it doesn't matter how good the gameplay is they won't be satisfied. I know promod is geared more towards the competitive gamer but i for one would like to see more servers running it, and i don't see that happening unless the goodies are added in. :(

Anywho i have no suggestions about maps but if Artifex is interested in adding custom sabers to promod he should get in contact with Tercero. His RGB sabers are the best and a new version is on the way that sounds like it will be even better. He recently mentioned in his Anakin model thread that any modders are welcome to use the sabers with their mod, just drop him a line. :)

tercero@mailcity.com

Why? Promod doesn't make any changes to the maps, right?

Not at present, but there's a couple reasons I'm wanting to put one together. First, I'm planning to implement the saga gametype at some point (maybe for Beta 3) so I'm looking to make some contacts with good mapmakers for possible custom Saga maps later. Easiest way to do that is to ask everybody what maps they like. Second, I'd like to compile all of the maps appropriate for competition into one easy-to-download pack which people will expect to be loaded onto ProMod servers. There's probably a lot of really cool maps out there that really stink for competitive play. A map like duel_bespin would be a perfect example of that. Hopefully, the ProMod maps would become an "A"-list for people wanting to play competitively.

Originally posted by teutonicknight

The question you need to ask is: Why not?

When are you going to release the next version of ProMod? If its in two to three weeks, I could suggest my up comming map: Yavin House. (first map by the way :) )

I have a target date for Beta 3 set for Oct. 25. There's a HUGE international tournament (~5,000 players from what I'm told. sponsored by http://www.ngi.it if you want more info (it's in italian)) that has contacted me wanting to demonstrate ProMod for possible use in their next tournaments.

BTW guys, the pack won't be part of the regular download. I'll have it separate to show some mercy to those with only 56k connections and those who already may have the maps.

Originally posted by Syfo-Dyas

I'm not partial to any specific maps. There are many great maps out there. Massassi usually has nice critical reviews of submitted maps, but the comments are mostly based on aesthetics rather than playability.

My only requirements would be:

1. The should not be so large/detailed that it adversely affects the framerate or becomes too laggy.

2. Any map MUST include BOT support. I play offline all the time, and I hate just having the BOTs jump around. I feel that a map without BOT support is an unfinished map.

3. Servers running ProMod (which *ought* to be all of them) would need to also run these maps

Suggestions:

1. Include an option which randomly cycles through maps rather than the way it is now -where it always cycles in the same sequence. This might also apply to game types. Just to add an element of surprise to the game.

2a. Why not also include a SkinPack? This way there would some consistancy among ProModers, and we could the skins everyone is using.

2b. Do the same with saber hilts, and allow for customizable saber colors. (ProMod IS a 'saber' mod after all. Let's do it up!)

Sifo-Dyas

The order of the mapcycle is a function of the server.cfg file, not the source code as far as I know.

I'd say doing a skin/model pack as well would be a good idea. There's some very mainstream models/skins out there now like Vader and Maul. I'll probably put them together as well.

Custom saber colors are what I'm working on right now. The saber hilts are something I want to do as well, but I'll just have to see how much time I have before release.

I feel the same as Syfo-dyas and RazorAce, in that any map without well designed bot routes is an unfinished map, period.

One reason, for example, is many like to practice and experiment with various things against bots, before using them in competitive play.

However, in staying focused, Promod was/is designed for competitive multiplayer. That means for human players. Therefore, I doubt bot routes will be a concern at all in a Promod map pack.

Of course, ArtifeX can correct me if I am wrong in my assumption.

If I am wrong, it won't be the first time and most certainly won't be the last. :D

However, in staying focused, Promod was/is designed for competitive multiplayer. That means for human players. Therefore, I doubt bot routes will be a concern at all in a Promod map pack.

That's a good point but a lot of people probably play Promod vs. the bots.

And for Saga implimentation, ArtifeX, if you're planning a new version of Saga, I suggest you try to get the community involved in designing a Saga 2.0 so the maps will be combatible. I for one am interested in group designing Saga 2.0.

Originally posted by ArtifeX

First, I'm planning to implement the saga gametype at some point (maybe for Beta 3) so I'm looking to make some contacts with good mapmakers for possible custom Saga maps later.

Just don't burn yourself out doing all of this. Nothing worse than cool projects that take forever, and are never completed because the project was just too ambitious and the designers ran out of steam.

I agree with Razorace that gameplay should be the focus of ProMod. Getting the balance correctly set where it ought to be, and then hopefully more could be added to advance saber combat in the way of new moves, etc. I'd love to see it emerge to show a martial art aspect closer to the SW films. Something truely competitive.

But I also agree with what Deetox187 said about how an assortment of goodies will help stimulate more people to start playing it and filling up those empty servers.

It ends up being a being a question of urgency. Right now tuning the gameplay seems like the most important issue. But once you've hit a plateau in that area, maybe it's time to add in some goodies to increase popularity. At some point the combat engine probably needs to see some expansion.

All I'm saying is don't take on more than you can handle. You might want to enlist the efforts of some other people to help make this stuff happen. I'll go ahead and pitch in my hat and say that if you ever need anything done in the area of sound design, I would be happy to devote some of my time to that. I've been re-doing the sounds in various models I've downloaded. If you're interested in hearing the quality of my work, let me know and I'll send some of those models off to ya.

Peace,

That's a good point but a lot of people probably play Promod vs. the bots.

And for Saga implimentation, ArtifeX, if you're planning a new version of Saga, I suggest you try to get the community involved in designing a Saga 2.0 so the maps will be combatible. I for one am interested in group designing Saga 2.0.

I'd be interested in this as well. It really does need to be standardized. Everybody who's had some experience with this should get together and come up with a format for the map files, etc.

I'll lend whatever help I can and make sure that future versions of ProMod are compatible with whatever standard comes out of this.

Think I'll post something in the coding forum about this.

It ends up being a being a question of urgency. Right now tuning the gameplay seems like the most important issue. But once you've hit a plateau in that area, maybe it's time to add in some goodies to increase popularity. At some point the combat engine probably needs to see some expansion.

All I'm saying is don't take on more than you can handle. You might want to enlist the efforts of some other people to help make this stuff happen. I'll go ahead and pitch in my hat and say that if you ever need anything done in the area of sound design, I would be happy to devote some of my time to that. I've been re-doing the sounds in various models I've downloaded. If you're interested in hearing the quality of my work, let me know and I'll send some of those models off to ya.

Peace,

Gameplay will always be the number one priority. I've got a feature or two in beta 3 that are purely cosmetic (RGB saber color) but the lions share of changes are all fundamental combat additions/modifications. For instance, the rock-paper-scissors "Style Trump System" is in and working, as is the removal of the Strong Stance's 45-degree chaining requirement (this really, really rocks).

Well, I assume it's all a matter than what ArtifeX's long term plans are.

Masters of the Force is also planning on redoing the combat system but we're going for a more realistic attack/defense rhyme than the CSC system.

• 2 weeks later...

well in my opinion if you want to include a good duel map the matrix dojo is by far the most even duelling map its clean and very professionally put together.

For a freeforall map I'd go with the jedi academy map, its got 4 good fighting areas as well as a good courtyard for brawls. its well put together and it looks nice too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived