Home

Force Lightning: Why hate it?

Spinalcraft

Force Lightning: Hate it or Love it?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Force Lightning: Hate it or Love it?

• Force lightning is ghey
    • I like Force lightning.. those lamers deserve to die a horrible, electric death

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me,it all depends on your mood.

If I play on a flat map without bottomless pits like Bespin Streets,I usually play light side,as there are no potential grippers to deal with as they will grip you and put you down to the bottomless pits,thus less falling down.

Lately,I played JO FFA with the dark side bots,and my were they annoying.They were frying me until I died so many times.However,I saw Luke running with a blue aura and that reminded me.I quickly highlighted Absorb,run toward someone with blue and,wow,the results were marvellous.Eversince then I learnt this:

Maps without bottomless pit i.e. Bespin STREETS:Defensive-Light side.

Maps WITH bottomless pit i.e. Nar Shadaa streets:Offensive-Grip OR Lightning+Kick.

I don't have a problem with any of the force powers... except on servers which have the amazingly INTELLIGENT idea of setting mana regeneration to 4x the default.

Normally I don't have a problem with people using lightning, grip or force pull because the mana cost prevents total spammage. On the NL CTF servers there is no mana penalty, i've managed to use pull 20 consecutively before running out of mana, where is the skill in that?

As for lightning, its a useful power but its quite passive, it should be used to complement your attacks not as your ONLY attack.

There are two types of lightning users:

1)-- The lightning user that uses it as an aid to his attacks and only uses it once or twice in a duel/fight.

2)-- The 'Whore' Lightnin user who runs backward while continuously using lightning and get 20 kills that way.

I HATE #2's !!!

every time someone does it two me i just say 'get some skill man"

or somthing like that.oh yes and i DO use Absorb :rolleyes:

personally i think lighting is just a cheap way for killing somebody when u cant use a saber. i dont use force, cause i dont need to. i only use absorb to counter drain, lighting and grip.

if u want to kill ppl fast and cheap i suggest u use grip-kick.

You misunderstood me Griff, if I for example kept Absorb on all fight long to anticipate Lightning, I mght just run out of Force and be screwed. If I had my finger on the Force trigger, Absorb would not get up fast enough to block a Lightning tap. Same goes for Drain. And I've played this game for months, I am no newbie, I'm certain no human's reaction time is great enough for put up Absorb in the face of a Lightning tap in time.

• 3 weeks later...

the dark side is for chumps. i use to use the dark side and then i lost my saber skill one day because i used force lighting to kill evreyone.and now i use the light side.......i use to be evilllll.....but not anymore you will be called a n00b if u use force lighting and grip. i know how to counter dark side attacks.

Gah... you people say that lightning is such a simple, noob move... Well, if noobs can do it so easily... why can't you avoid it just as easy? The tap of damage they can get in before absorb comes on isn't very much, and when people do that, I generally get annoyed and just give them a proper thrashing

Absorb is a little bit pointless on enclose maps where a phat ruckuss takes place. The reason ? Well, while it'll protect you and you can run around all happy, thinking what a fool for still using lightning on you, all the other poor little suckers are gonna get killed, thus giving the lightning user more kills. It would be better to spend the force you intend to use on abosrb, trying to kill mr electric hands man over there :)

Originally posted by Dark Helmet III

i don't like force lightning becase if takes no skill. All u gotta do is run into a group of ppl and use it and u kill them. Atleast use grip that hurts one person. And it hurts u way to much. It shouldn't do that much damage. So just use grip or the lightside of the force.

So you're saying force lightning is too powerful?

its pretty dumb to use grip in a three-way battle, because the other players that are battling will just smack you, you realize you cant block while gripping?

Thats the point of lightning, at least, thats how I see it.. You use it in crowded areas, pick off a numerous amount of victims.. If you think thats cheap, then ill flip out a rocket launcher and do the same thing.. I guess thats cheap too. My second way in using force lightning is when the guy has about only 2 or somewhat low health left.. I get lazy when all they do is block my attacks, save trouble and time and just shock them.

Those that say Lightning is cheap/too powerful.. you can either live with it or join the darkside.. There are too many lightsiders out there anyway.

:jawa

The way I see it, force lightning is just as unfair as any of the other force powers. It can be countered, as can all force powers, and is not the be all end all über killing machine some make it out to be. While it is indeed powerful, (accurately powerful, I might add), it can be easily countered with a number of techniques, including force absorb, force push / pull (if his force pool's nearly depleted), and force jumping out of range. It can also be defended against conventionally, as usage of lightning opens him up for a precision weapons assault. Furthermore, force lightning is not a fatal threat to an experienced player. To use it against a decent player, you have to combine it with other attacks, and use it as part of an overall strategy.

Even dark players can defeat lightning. Force drain can easily counter it, and makes the attack a detriment to the initiator.

I also find little to complain about when someone uses force lightning against a group of combatants. The player is merely exercising superior tactical knowledge and ability by not putting himself in a position to withstand powerful attacks. Instead, he uses his arsenal to launch an attack by proxy, usually culminating in a plethora of kills and perhaps a commanding lead. This can be defended against by using strategy, and not engaging in dangerous practices and employing risky techniques. I am, personally, a fan of this type of attack, in concert with a host of other techniques. Don't get me wrong, I love saber dueling and force dueling, but the attack should coincide with the situation, and no intelligent attack should be frowned upon.

I feel that the best use of force lightning is to assist a teammate in Team FFA, to wipe out a group of people in any mode, or coupled with other attacks in an organized assault when dueling.

Just as an aside, I hope that either in a future version / mod / expansion, the player is given the ability to move someone with force lightning, like Dooku did to Anakin in AotC.

I run a server that has lightning turned off by default. This is not because I hate it but because as a low player server with limited bandwidth (10 people) I found that if you get a bunch of people who use lightning it would slow my server to a craw. This si also another reason that it is turned off in many servers, the pure lag factor. As for people goging after me with lightning...well its their death. It is by far the best "noob" move to use but also the one you will give up on asap if you have half a brain. You will learn that a skilled player with a sbaer will absorb the hit or drain you of your force pool and the saber you to death as you attemp to run backwards and recharge your force pool. I have not been killed by lightning more than a half oxen times in the last three months or so. My advice....no power is wrthless or whored. Its all part of the game. Now you may think its lame but thats the way it is. Some guy got mad at me the other day because i killed him when he was flat on his back. I said "so what your saber was out" he replied "well thats just lame" I said "so what its all part of the game" he replied "it should not be!". This applies to lightning too. i get mad when I am whored from behind by a newbie lightning user but we cannot complain about it, its part of the game and we just need to accept it and move on.

Yeah force lighting get very annoying sometimes when n00bs are trying to kill you with force lighting,you use absorb or drain,some n00bs notice, so they run away,while im chasin the with a blaster :charric: or anything they find a rocket launcher,then they kill you, so i think force lighting and rocket launchers can grant you easy kills depending how you use it.

I haven't played in ages, but today I started again. I chose dark side powers for the first time ever (yes, EVER!).

It seemed that no matter how well you play with light side, there's no way you can rack up as many kills as with dark side powers, namely lightning+drain (talking about Sabers only FFA).

If the opponent happens to play light and knows how to use absorb...so what? At that point we're even. Time to pull out the saber and see who wins.

Some "pit-maps" require absorb, but otherwise, I'd say dark side is way more efficient. Drain outclasses heal easily and killing with lightning is all too easy.

You may stay alive longer with ligh side powers, but you'll have a hard time keeping up with the darkies frag-count.

Using lighting, imho, gets boring. It's easy to defend against but still...if you want to get more points than a "lightning-whore", you need to be twice as good.

Lighting is a good skill but not a full weapon i love noob's to do it then i saber them down with a nice full sweet looking swing hehe

Look at it this way its good against many apponets poor against onbe it lets yer guard down but dont be a lighting hore it makes you look very weak and usually you are if you use it all the time yer dependant and cant saber

I think the fact that the darksider gets more kills is fairly accurate... dont forget the dark side is about destructiveness etc etc... light side is about discovery defence and wisdom... a dark jedi should get more kills, it's not about the kills anyway it's about having fun have you forgotten that, if your k:d ratio is high then so what if you come last!!!

Archived