Home

jk3? bring on the Yuuzhan Vong

scribble

if jk3 was based on the NJO with the Yuuzhan Vong that would just absolutely kick ass. it should have multiple playable characters whose abilities differ, like jacen, who could be somewhat sudued in the force due to his ideals but have him be an awesome saber fighter, and have anakin be much more force heavy than saber, stuff like that!

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

I hate NJO so much that it.... it, I can't even put into words the hatred I have for it. It's storyline is worse than most comics.

*high fives Rhett*

Couldn't have said it better myself!

the jk series is about the story of kyle katarn!!

if you wanted a njo game then they would need a new name for the games...

anyways it would be VERY hard to combine NJO into one game since it covers many different genres, like FPS, RTS, flying, etc. It would be a stupid idea too since the game would just be a re-telling of the NJO story. Do we have any book on Kyle? No (i dont think so).

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

I wouldn't buy it if it was.

i agree with you partially since all the NJO books are written by different authors that when you read em together it just does not flow well from book to book. However the idea behind and concepts behind the story are sorta cool, *SPOILERS* like the bubble being broken and Luke, Han, Leia and Co. when Chewie, Anakin, and a bunch of others die.

i read all the njo and absolutely hated a lot of them theyre characterisation was awful and there were plot decisions that made me cringe

but the last three that i read(the 2 where they reform the rebel alliance after coruscant falls where wedge is in charge of the base and traitor) were pretty damn good with a lot less drivel then the previous ones and some intersting stuff with jacen

the problem with making them into a game is that the yujhang vong (sp?)would be wierd enemies to fight (with there biological bunch-o-crap weapons) and they're so ugly i would get sick of looking at them

Actually there are at least three books on Kyle Katarn (he's mentioned in some guides as being connected with fighting the YV, but I haven't read any of the NJO or any other novel or comic where he's mentioned fighting them), but they're really short (with big illustrations), and of course based on the games (with some differences):

Soldier for the Empire

Rebel Agent

Jedi Knight

I guess I'll add my voice to the chorus of boos at a NJO-related JK3 game. There are a few reasons why I think a game like that probably wouldn't work (or sell as well for that matter):

1. The majority of casual Star Wars fans don't know anything about the NJO storyline. They like Star Wars because of what's in the movies. If they pick up a game that says Star Wars on the box, they want to be fighting stormtroopers, battle droids, and see familiar locations from the movies. So if they buy a game that's all NJO, they are likely going to say WTF, where the hell are all the stormtroopers? Who the hell is Anakin Solo? Since when did Han have kids with Darth Vader?

2. Since the hardcore SW fans are a smaller percentage, and an even smaller percentage of them actually like the NJO (as you can see in this thread), Lucasarts would probably be limiting there potential sales.

3. Since the Jedi Knight series is obviously about Jedi, most people are probably playing the game because they want to pretend they are Jedi for a little while. And the majority of people see their powers in the movies, and want those abilities recreated to a large extent. Now, I've never read the NJO series, but from the bits and pieces I've heard about, the Yuuzhan Vong are unaffected by the force right? So if you make JK3 based on them, the majority of poor souls will be buying the game thinking that they will be force-pushing, mind-tricking, and saber-slicing all over the place. They will fire up the game or read the manual and find out that none of your force powers have any affect on the enemies in the game. What's the point of being a Jedi of you can do anything that Jedis do? People are going to correctly think that this is the dumbest game they've ever seen. Who's going to want to play a game like that?

Does that mean that there should be nothing out there about the NJO? Of course not. But IMHO a mod is probably more the way to go. I think there is one going on right now. Or at least a new game series based on it. The JK storyline should remain it's own entity. Now, I'm a hardcore SW fan, and I play JO because it is Star Wars, not because it is a FPS. And I like the fact that there are many familiar things from the movies. I like the storyline of the JK series, because I think that it is a closer representation of what might happen after ROTJ (getting the New Republic running, and all that). For me, aliens from another galaxy is just too cliche and out of left field. That's just me though. :)

Originally posted by Prime

I guess I'll add my voice to the chorus of boos at a NJO-related JK3 game. There are a few reasons why I think a game like that probably wouldn't work (or sell as well for that matter):

Some very good points, Prime. You forgot to mention the amount of work required to truely impliment the weird weapons of the Vong. The staff weapon alone would probably require a new engine or at least a crap load of new animations and physics programming.

just so u know prime, they r coming out with a NJO mod. for info check the general editing forum!

I think I remember seeing that yadu. IIRC I went to their website and it looked like a pretty cool project. The mod idea is great. Those who like the NJO will no doubt be happy to have it, and those that don't can stick with vanilla JO.

You forgot to mention the amount of work required to truely impliment the weird weapons of the Vong. The staff weapon alone would probably require a new engine or at least a crap load of new animations and physics programming.

Your right. I don't know too much about the Vong, and I am not all that familiar with the staff, but doesn't change into different things or something? Being a professional software guy, I can certainly appreciate the amount of work it would take to implement something like that.

the idea of multiple characters would be nice

I agree. I am also a fan of making your own character and using him in the game. Being able to select your clothes, etc. would be pretty cool I think.

I don't like the NJO either ... but it is mainly because of the YV. I read a book or two in paperback in the middle of the series, and had no interest in going in either direction.

I would likely buy a game around it, but that doesn't mean I'd want to have a game based around it ...

To me, the YV are the anti-Borg. That's about it. Rather than expand on the force, they make the whole jedi history, including Yoda, seem pedantic and parochial. Pah!

Even though I know much of the SW EU, I still get a particular thrill shashing Stormies and pushing Rodians off ledges ...

Watching 'Star Wars' the other day (OK, Ep IV if I must ... I was 11 when it came out, and it will always be plain Star Wars to me) it is amazing how much 'force push fodder' the Empire built ...

Mike

Originally posted by Altus_Thrawn

I want JK3 also though...I really want to drive vehicles like in halo.

Man, that would be tricky with SW vehicles. They move REALLY fast. The maps would have to be huge.

My thoughts is to have JK3 based on Kyle's father or someone else in the Katarn family. It seems implied that the Force is strong in the Katarn family.

Archived