Home

WIP: Mace Windu

Toonces

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S

I'm not a modeler, but I still think there'd be some serious problems with that approach...

Such as? You really shouldn't condemn an approach without proper evidence to do so. You don't need to be a modeler to understand how surfaces are shown/hidden in the JK2 engine. I'm sure you know all about this yourself. So, if the robe would not be on when the torso is on, and vice versa, what exactly is the harm in this approach? The only drawback I can see from this is the poly count... if the character doesn't have the budget to spend on adding a torso front to the robe, then that could be a problem. Other than that, it's just a case of hiding and showing the correct surfaces...

Or maybe the original torso can just be modified so the robe fits better. Whichever Toonces wants to do is fine with me! (And should be! :p)

I don't like to sound like one of those whiney forum users who plague so many threads, but will we have to wait for the completion of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan for the release of this model?

I guess I'm just too eager to see Mace appear in my level. That purple saber with the gold handle doesn't suit Kyle at all.

I have a feeling that Mace will be out second, Qui-Gon is essentially done, and so is Mace :D I can't give you a set release date, but it's close

PalnGipanji, I've actually thought about doing something like this before, it wouldnt take me very long to just try. I already have the arms removed in the .surf file, what I might do is clone the Torso and greatly shrink it down at the top for when he is only wearing the robe, I have to see if it looks funny or not, then I'd just turn it on via the .surf. If might look really funny, then again it might just work :)

Originally posted by AKPiggott

I don't like to sound like one of those whiney forum users who plague so many threads...

Then don't. :)

It'll be done when it's done. There are other Mace Windu skins to use for now, as a placeholder until this model's release. Plus, who cares what order the models are released? We should all be thankful that there are people like Toonces, KMan, Arco, Grafox, Tercero, etc, who give their free time to help so many people get extra enjoyment out of this game. Sure, we all get impatient from time to time out of excitement and curiousity, but we do have the ability to "just say no" to that Submit Reply button. :p

So... just be patient... I'm sure the authors would appreciate it as much as those here trying to offer constructive points of view to the project. All the projects will be done in due time, and we'll all be better for the time it took to refine the details that make them so desirable.

Originally posted by Toonces

PalnGipanji, I've actually thought about doing something like this before, it wouldnt take me very long to just try. I already have the arms removed in the .surf file, what I might do is clone the Torso and greatly shrink it down at the top for when he is only wearing the robe, I have to see if it looks funny or not, then I'd just turn it on via the .surf. If might look really funny, then again it might just work :)

My only hesitance in suggesting it was the fact that you'd have to essentially weight a second torso. But your method sounds like what I'd do... you have the robe model already. Just tweak it so it looks as if it falls correctly on his frame, then dupliate the faces of the torso and delete any faces that would be hidden by the robe. Then I'd create a few faces to make the robe two sided and meet the torso at a point before the arms would be visible between the torso and robe. And of course, hide the original arm and torso surfaces. :)

Then again, you had to weight the robe itself... so maybe it won't be too big of a deal to do the robe and torso... ? I'm not sure of this though, since I haven't tried weighting yet. (Well, for the JK2 engine... I've done character animation before in Maya. Even wrote my thesis on it. :) ) I'd be very interested to see how it turns out, Toonces, even if it looks weird... just to have a comparison. Thanks for giving the idea consideration!

Originally posted by PalnGipanji

... we do have the ability to "just say no" to that Submit Reply button. :p

Next time, "just say yes" to using that edit button instead of posting twice. :D

Great news about the models, Toonces. Take your time - I'd rather you be satisfied with their quality before you release anything.

Yeah, I will, that's one of the things that drove me crazy about Kit, when I was almost finished with him I realised that I should have built his body much differently and really wanted to scrap him and start all over, this wont happen with Mace :D

Originally posted by AKPiggott

I guess I'm just too eager to see Mace appear in my level. That purple saber with the gold handle doesn't suit Kyle at all.

For your single player level? I think you just need to know filepaths and what not to set it up right? The pk3 will probly follow what I've done in the past so it'll be called ct_windu.pk3 The directory structure will be /models/players/samuel_L/

I have a feeling that Mace will be out second, Qui-Gon is essentially done, and so is Mace :D I can't give you a set release date, but it's close

Ahh, nice one. I was unsure whether you would release them in a pack.

So... just be patient... I'm sure the authors would appreciate it as much as those here trying to offer constructive points of view to the project. All the projects will be done in due time, and we'll all be better for the time it took to refine the details that make them so desirable.

I'm an established game editor myself, so I am all too familiar with having people whining at me to release something. I understand as much as anyone here that time is required to make quality product, and the last thing I want is for Toonces to rush it. I wasn't telling him to release it as quickly as possible, I was just enquiring as to see how high a priority this model ranks against his other projects and/or whether or not they will all be released in a pack.

For your single player level? I think you just need to know filepaths and what not to set it up right? The pk3 will probly follow what I've done in the past so it'll be called ct_windu.pk3 The directory structure will be /models/players/samuel_L/

Yeah, don't worry Too' I got it all sorted. Because Raven didn't have time to properly implement editability when it comes to player templates, I have to replace the Kyle model. Simple process, I just extract the model directories and place them in my mod PK3, rename "samuel_L" to "kyle" and adjust all the file paths in the SKIN files accordingly. After that I'll delete the player icons and team colour textures for Mace because that will just take up unnecessary space. Piece o' cake...

Here is what i need to know

When will all your excelent models be out

Qui-Gon looks finished!! Its great

Toonces im glad u started modeling for us JK2 players hope u continue with GREAT models...

im being a kiss up but i think this al deserves it

Mace looks SWEET especailly with the cape :D

Bye Bye All

Next time, "just say yes" to using that edit button instead of posting twice. :D

They were two totally different replies, and I didn't know anyone else had posted until I submitted the first one. No need to edit a thread to add the second reply just because... and no need to wait until someone else replies before submitting my own. Bleh!

They were two totally different replies, and I didn't know anyone else had posted until I submitted the first one. No need to edit a thread to add the second reply just because... and no need to wait until someone else replies before submitting my own. Bleh!

If they had been posted an hour apart, I wouldn't have said anything. But since they were posted 5 minutes apart, you should use the edit button and just add new information to your previous post.

If they had been posted an hour apart, I wouldn't have said anything. But since they were posted 5 minutes apart, you should use the edit button and just add new information to your previous post.

...Or he could have done it the way he did it. Sometimes the subject of a post is sufficiently different from the subject of the preceding post to warrant double-posting. Just because something has the same author does not mean that it is about the same thing. Splitting posts by subject matter (assuming they are sufficiently different and of and of an appropriate length) is probably a wiser choice in most cases than posting 200 lines of info in one post. Think of it as different pages in a paper.

I run several forums and have established this as a general rule of thumb.

Originally posted by Scotchy

...Or he could have done it the way he did it. Sometimes the subject of a post is sufficiently different from the subject of the preceding post to warrant double-posting. Just because something has the same author does not mean that it is about the same thing. Splitting posts by subject matter (assuming they are sufficiently different and of and of an appropriate length) is probably a wiser choice in most cases than posting 200 lines of info in one post. Think of it as different pages in a paper.

I run several forums and have established this as a general rule of thumb.

Ok, I originally said it as a joke... that's why I put the big :D at the end of it. Plus I figured it would be funny... he said, "just say no," I said "just say yes." Plus the general rule of thumb for this forum is to not post 2 times in a row within the space of about an hour or so. Ask any moderator. But like I said, it was a joke, and people got defensive when they didn't have to, so just drop it.

Ok, I originally said it as a joke... that's why I put the big :D at the end of it. Plus I figured it would be funny... he said, "just say no," I said "just say yes." Plus the general rule of thumb for this forum is to not post 2 times in a row within the space of about an hour or so. Ask any moderator. But like I said, it was a joke, and people got defensive when they didn't have to, so just drop it.

Why do you get the final say? I really don't think you meant the first post as a joke, because clearly you believe deeply in what you were supposedly joking about. I got defensive because you were quite frankly offensive. I don't need you telling me how to post on this or any thread, especially when the intent is to help Toonces and all out with the model and not to nitpick about someone's posting habits. If you want to do that, by all means send me a PM. If you feel the need to do it publicly, then I'm not going to back off just because your highness tires of the trite argument he started. You can use the Edit button all you like... and I would too, had I thought it necessary. However, I didn't, and still don't, observe your retarded time limits when it comes to shifts in content, and honestly, no one else really cares how far apart the posts came temporally... so why make such a huge issue about it?

Just leave the thread one of a constructive nature for the Mace Windu model... that was my entire intent from the beginning, with or without smileys.

Why do you get the final say?

Because that should've been the last thing said on the topic.

And Toonces/Arco, aren't there already sabers for all of these models? I'm not trying to deter you from doing them, i'm just wondering what the point is...

Archived