Home

WIP: Mace Windu

Toonces

Originally posted by Toonces

You guys guilted us into it ;)

http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/mace12.jpg

It's not lack of critisim that caused us not to do it at first, keo was very vocal about a few of the areas that wern't quite "cannon" I decided to see how much of a pain it would be to do and decided "what the hell?" It required a reconstruction of the front part of it and some adjustments in his uv's but it wasn't quite as much of a pain to do as I thought it would be

Woohoo! That looks much better already. So happy you reconsidered. The intent (well, my intent - can't speak for anyone else) wasn't to guilt you guys into it. Was just bringing the little details to your attention. ;) Can't wait to see more!

Originally posted by shaolin_blade

All I'm saying is, don't bash people because they don't want to wait a year for a perfect model.

There is a fine line between good detail and over-doing.

I don't see how I was bashing anyone, but it's possible you're not refering to me. So often people are quick to bitch at those like Keo and myself for nitpicking and criticising these models - when in fact, like Keo said, it's people like us that help the artists shape these models into a final product you all drool over. Toonces and other modelers are well aware of our habits, and unless i'm mistaken (correct me if i'm wrong here Toonces), they often want to hear our opinion(s). We've all got our job to do, so why do you want us to stop doing ours?

Let me just say that I don't expect perfection. I don't think it's possible. However, I will continue to push (with constructive criticism) for perfection because it's what makes models great. Sorry for the length of my post everyone, I think that just needed to be said.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when I make a model or draw something I already know whats good, I want to know what sucks and could be made to look better. At the same time people also need to hear that its looking good if it really is. It just sucks when all someone has to say is "looks good, keep up the work" at least try to make one comment on why it looks good.

Originally posted by keo718

copy and paste.

You really can't put .txt instead of .jpg?? Nice diagram though... it would be nice to just be able to click and see it.

Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S

The intent (well, my intent - can't speak for anyone else) wasn't to guilt you guys into it.

You sure about that? I mean, if you were content with how it was, you would've accepted the fact that they didn't feel it necessary to redo it before Toonces' update.

it's people like us that help the artists shape these models into a final product you all drool over.

I hope you believe that. They are the artists, they are the ones who make the products desirable. I agree that sometimes we all offer great ideas on how to improve the work, but they're the ones who actually do it. Like I said before, the model was fine the way it was... because Toonces was nice enough to humor you doesn't mean that it came out just as you planned. He did the work, and it looks great. But I'd back off a bit with being so eager to accept credit for it.

Let me just say that I don't expect perfection. I don't think it's possible. However, I will continue to push (with constructive criticism) for perfection because it's what makes models great. Sorry for the length of my post everyone, I think that just needed to be said.

I think what everyone should take out of that (myself included) is constructive criticism. I don't believe that any of us could claim to be 100% constructive, but we should all try. In the same light, it should be understood that one suggestion is just as good as the next, and the artists involved will decide what is good enough and what could be different. I feel the whole thing with the clothing was too "nitpicky", but this new result looks just as great as the previous. I'm really not going to damn the man for slightly malformed clothing, especially when you're really not going to notice or care in-game. But, now we're much closer to Keo and Anakin's perfect Mace, so let's rejoice!

Great work Toonces!

like Keo said, it's people like us that help the artists shape these models into a final product you all drool over.

A bit of a misquote. I hope I didn't come off as if I'm trying to take any credit.

This was my original quote....

Alot of people get upset when critiques are made, yet fail to realize that it is these same critiques that help refine the model into that which they wet themselves over.

My point was and is that people take certain criticisms as nitpicking and see them as unnecessary. Yet it is that very same nitpicking that helps to REFINE the model. I take no credit for the work that Toonces and Arco did. All I did was offer my critiques that I hope were helpful.

Originally posted by keo718

A bit of a misquote. I hope I didn't come off as if I'm trying to take any credit.

My point was and is that people take certain criticisms as nitpicking and see them as unnecessary. Yet it is that very same nitpicking that helps to REFINE the model. I take no credit for the work that Toonces and Arco did. All I did was offer my critiques that I hope were helpful.

My apologies for the misquote, Keo. I didn't mean to imply that we deserve credit for the models either... was just trying to support your original point and didn't get the wording quite right.

Arco, the skin looks fantastic. Although I think the fabric could look a tad more rough (as the weave of Mace's clothes seems to have large threads) I think it still looks great. I especially like the colors - you really nailed it.

Absolutely incredible! I really appreciate all the hardwork and time you have put into this model. Your efforts are not in vein, many people will get a lot of enjoyment out of this. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Thanks again for doing this project (and your others as well)! :D

Originally posted by Arco

preview of the red skin. Which is now finished... next up is ghost mace and then it is finished.

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/icon_red.jpg

Arco:deathii:

Just wanted to let you know Arco, That your skins are inspiring me to work harder on the "Obi Project"! I'm learning some things from your work (Of course I am good, Ego... Ego...) well stuff looks great, textures are awesome. Mars out!

Originally posted by shaolin_blade

Looks more like Gene Simmons to me. Cracks me up that you guys spend so much time arguing over the canonicity of the robe, and then you do something like this to Mace for a Red CTF.

I personally think the "Venom" like face is a bit much, but I can't really argue why it should be something else. The only thing that should be canon is the regular default skin - I say go for broke on the variants.

Archived