Home

WIP Episode I Obi-Wan by Tex360, Arco, NeoMarz1, and Myself

Toonces

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work. Although this is likely coming very late, I think that the nose needs some work, both on the modeling and skinning side.

I also think that the hairline needs some tweakng. The texture work needs to be a little softer at the very edges, as right now it has a little to much of a 'helmet' feel to it.

I think that with a few tweaks this could be one of the best JK2 models ever done.

Originally posted by Toonces

I'm still making geometric changes, I'm just waiting on Arco before I do any more. Not to take anything away from Mars's skin, it's very good, but I just prefer painted faces rather than photosourced.

keo, quick question, did you take those pics?

Toonces I know you mean well, but... my skin is hand painted. It's true I start with a photo source, but it is only a checks and measure to keep it more accurate. I use "enlarged grain" tool in photo shop to maintain a photo appearance. I just wanted to say that, because I am an artist... and I dont want anyone to assume I am a cheater of some sort. I work fast... Photo sourcing is only a way for me to work quicker, eliminating hours of "tweak this and tweak that". In essence when you look at a photo as reference... your already photo sourcing. It takes a lot of time to find the right photo. This particular photo wasn't even from the movie! I actually had to change his eyebrows and skin tone to match that of the movie. If you don't use all the tools available to you then your only cheating yourself.

Here is a link to my published works portfolio (my other job is a freelance comics artist for Anarctic Press).

http://members.aol.com/NeoMarz1/box/page1.htm

Originally posted by keo718

Alright fellas, here are some pictures of the Obi-Wan skin by Mars....

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/ObiIconspread.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/ObiFinalx.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/ObiProfilex.jpg

** Copy & Paste **

Very very very nice :thumbsup:

If only I could marry the model :(

P.S. Mars, love your ObiVM skin:), gonna make any updates to it or are you working more on a skin for the Obi model?

I didn't mean to offend you, I was simply expressing my oppinion about photo sourced skins. I'm not knocking you as an artist, that was about as far from my intent as possible. I simply prefer from scratch, hand painted textures.

As photo sourced skins go yours is about as good as it gets, if anyone is intrested, crack open your assets0.pk3 file and check out the Luke skin, or Lando skin, they are photo sourced and not even half as good as yours are Mars

If you think I was insulting your ability as an artist I appolgise, but that's truely not what I intended to do. I don't even skin my own models because they wouldn't meet my own standards

Originally posted by keo718

Alright fellas, here are some pictures of the Obi-Wan skin by Mars....

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/ObiIconspread.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/ObiFinalx.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/ObiProfilex.jpg

** Copy & Paste **

EDIT: Hey Toonces, if your still making geometric changes, you may want to move his eyebrows and eyes down while shortening the nose. Also, move the lips and bottom of nose up slightly.

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/owk-ig02.jpg

** Copy & Paste **

Sorry to bring this up on your WIP thread, Toonces, but...

Come on keo... Copy and Paste? It would take you all of 2 seconds to replace .jpg with .txt. Your screens are almost always helpful, but the effort just to look at them, especially when there is an alternative solution, is just ridiculous. Could you, and all other Geocities members please use .txt to make the link usable? Thanks for the consideration. Now back to your regularly-scheduled WIP.

Originally posted by PalnGipanji

Come on keo... Copy and Paste? It would take you all of 2 seconds to replace .jpg with .txt. Your screens are almost always helpful, but the effort just to look at them, especially when there is an alternative solution, is just ridiculous. Could you, and all other Geocities members please use .txt to make the link usable?

I think that if the extension is changed to txt it won't work either, Geocities just doesn't support remote link to pics, BTW great work Toonces and Marz!!! I agree that it still needs some more tweaking, but is looking really good so far.

I'm looking forward to see what you can do with the quigon model Marz, i loved your quigonvm skins for the jeditrainer model, i made just a little change to it that i thought made him look more like quigon.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/r/frendonb/quigonvm.jpg

Originally posted by Toonces

I didn't mean to offend you, I was simply expressing my oppinion about photo sourced skins. I'm not knocking you as an artist, that was about as far from my intent as possible. I simply prefer from scratch, hand painted textures.

As photo sourced skins go yours is about as good as it gets, if anyone is intrested, crack open your assets0.pk3 file and check out the Luke skin, or Lando skin, they are photo sourced and not even half as good as yours are Mars

If you think I was insulting your ability as an artist I appolgise, but that's truely not what I intended to do. I don't even skin my own models because they wouldn't meet my own standards

That's cool Toonces. I just get a little weird sometimes. I know you didnt mean it that way. I agree that Arco has done an incredible job. I truly understand what you mean... he has worked hard to get his Mace just right, and I can appreciate that. I just feel like "the guy in the background", and I'm trying to come to terms with that. It's hard being an artist, because you put it all out in front for all to see. You have to be able to accept that not everyone is going like it. I can handle most people criticizing my work, but it's harder when it comes from someone whom you respect.

Sincerely, "The Drama King"... Mars Marshall

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/ep1obi.jpg

update. I am getting there not to worry... hope you guys like. There is probly more tweeks to be done... but the guy has such a "nonperson" face..... it sucks!

mars-photosourcing is cool..... but it can very easily detract from a model. You seem to know what you are doing tho.... I would say you need to get more texture into your skins... your cloth is often lacking a certain something. But yer faces on the other hand are always cool keep it up dude!

Arco:deathii:

Originally posted by frendon

I think that if the extension is changed to txt it won't work either, Geocities just doesn't support remote link to pics, BTW great work Toonces and Marz!!! I agree that it still needs some more tweaking, but is looking really good so far.

I'm looking forward to see what you can do with the quigon model Marz, i loved your quigonvm skins for the jeditrainer model, i made just a little change to it that i thought made him look more like quigon.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/r/frendonb/quigonvm.jpg

Very cool! I considered making his hair like that myself. I did a similar thing with my "Adi Gallia" skin (with her tendrils). I got a lot of negative feedback, so decided not to do that on the Qui-Gon skin, but personally I think it works to some degree. Nice job, Mars out!;)

Originally posted by Hekx Noxu

Very very very nice :thumbsup:

If only I could marry the model :(

P.S. Mars, love your ObiVM skin:), gonna make any updates to it or are you working more on a skin for the Obi model?

well.... no I dont plan anymore updates on ObiVM (the old skin). This model is really going to work well, and if anything I will update newer versions on this model. Hey, thanks for the comment. It's nice to here that people still appreciate my older skins! Mars out!

Originally posted by Arco

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/ep1obi.jpg

update. I am getting there not to worry... hope you guys like. There is probly more tweeks to be done... but the guy has such a "nonperson" face..... it sucks!

mars-photosourcing is cool..... but it can very easily detract from a model. You seem to know what you are doing tho.... I would say you need to get more texture into your skins... your cloth is often lacking a certain something. But yer faces on the other hand are always cool keep it up dude!

Yeah, I know what it's lacking...

1) I tend to make subtle folds in the cloth. They should be more bold, and more contrasty like yours.

2) I Spend less time on details (like stitching, pockets, etc..)

3) and I dont like to use "cloth texturing tools", which can help if used at the right contrast/sizing.

These are things that I have tried to correct with this skin/model.

hmmmm who uses "cloth texturing tools"? Well yeah I used to... but I got a great tip.... on a new layer fill in 50%grey then do a noise filter.... motion blur it straight down so you get a lot of straight lines... set it to sommat like overlay or softlight an then duplicate the layer and turn it by 90 degrees... you get a very nice clothy tweedy texture... puuuurfect for for a jedi an his course hard clothes. Anyhew do sommat like that dude... an bold is always good as in the game it makes it easier to identify with. Rock on!

anyhew! Onwards an upwards. I will update later tonite with a more final skin.... expect to be blown away... or not. but remember... you're my number one guy!

Originally posted by Arco

er i don't know why you are confused dude. I have always been doing obi... since the begining. I just got bogged down with other ****. But i am making some time to get my older projects finished off. Simple.

O.k.

I knew you had, I guess no one is keeping me in the loop. No one has e-mailed me in a while. I'm glad to see your working on this one. He looks great! Talk to you later man.

I think there has been a little major confusion going on, Arco was origionally skining Obi, but he's been really bogged down so I wasn't sure if he had the time to finish Obi. I'll get this cleared up, I just think it was a major communication problem on my part. I'm starting to tick you off I think Mars, and really, that was not my intent, I really dig your skins, and wanted you to work on him as well. I'm planing on includeing both skins when I release him

Anyway, I'll get this sorted out

Originally posted by NeoMarz1

I guess no one is keeping me in the loop. No one has e-mailed me in a while

This is my fault, it's suddenly gotten really busy around here, and I've let me e-mail backup quite a bit. It gets confusing working on so many models at once, I have nobody to blame but myself though

Has anyone done any of the sounds for the Obi model yet?

I added some sounds to the Obi VM skin by Mars because I didn't like the Jedi sounds.

I have some sound files of Obi and Qui-Gon if any of you guys want them. The Qui-Gon ones sound better.

I may even try and tweak the sounds one day :)

If you want the files, just let me know. I think I have the updated ObiVM and Qui-Gon VM with sounds uploaded somewhere :confused:

Archived