Home

WIP Episode I Obi-Wan by Tex360, Arco, NeoMarz1, and Myself

Toonces

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, on the fist pic, his mole is a bit more to his eye, than to his cheek, also, if you look at the pics, he doesnt have an upper eyelid (at elast it doenst show), it is like, some fat from his eyebrow connects to his eye, otehr than those 2 it looks really good. Also, try to ive more definition on the line between his eyebrows as in the pics. Its hard to describe but see how it kinda rounds off at a difinite corner on his eyebrows? there is like an upside down T, im sure you know what i mean. Nice job altogether

On the bottom pic, his nose bridge is too narrow, maybe fatten it up and round out the tip.

both look very nice.

for arco: the eyes are very, very blue. maybe a darker shade would look better? besides that, maybe some stubble and a bit more yellow in his face would give him the complete look...

for marz: the face is basically dead on. only thing i'd say is to make the hair look better, it doesn't look right at the moment. besides that, i think the eyebrows are too square and should be rounder.

looks great guys!

the shading in the eyes gives the impression that he's looking downward instead of straight ahead... maybe if the shadow on the eyes was at the top it would change that... and like mariners said, the eyes could be darkened slightly. also, perhaps you could adjust his brow so it looks a little more frown-like. looks good, though.

Originally posted by mariners2001

both look very nice.

for marz: the face is basically dead on. only thing i'd say is to make the hair look better, it doesn't look right at the moment. besides that, i think the eyebrows are too square and should be rounder.

looks great guys!

I agree with you; However, I am finding it difficult to mess with the hair, and here is why... I have found that during game play, detailed hair tends to have a grainy salt and pepper appearance. I wanted Obi's spikey hair to show (because thats a predominating feature for the character). Since the model has a smooth surface for the hair (helmet like), it is very difficult to get that across. I know that it looks unfinished when viewed at great detail, but I'm between a rock and a hard place. Should I keep it as it is, so that it looks good in game, or detail the hell out of it, and have it come out as a "slicked back hair du".

Really, this is a question that I pose to you... what do you all think I should do?

Mars out.

Originally posted by NeoMarz1

Really, this is a question that I pose to you... what do you all think I should do?

I say go for the better in game look.

After all, that's what we will really see.

Oh, yeah, Marz, one question. Why does your skin have Obi-Wan with pinkish clothing?

well, i see your point. it really isn't a huge problem to me the way it is now, but here's a suggestion: the wookiee model took advantage of shaders to make the hair look kind of scruffy and i think that effect (or something like it) would look nice on top of his hair. maybe toonces or someone can make the neccessary adjustments to the hair also...but like i said - it isn't a big deal on the hair. in the battle, it won't make a difference.

That's a good idea marriner, but doing that at this point is not realilstic. I'd have to completely reconstruct his head and add a whole bunch of extra flat planes to his head. It would take weeks.

Mars, do whatever your comfortable with man, I'd go for making it look good in game (Which it does now I think) Whatever you do I don't think it matters since your face is spot on already :)

Padawan_7, I beleive Mars fixed the hues on his clothing since he last sent me textures, so any shots that I took are using the old textures

Originally posted by Padawan_7

I say go for the better in game look.

After all, that's what we will really see.

Oh, yeah, Marz, one question. Why does your skin have Obi-Wan with pinkish clothing?

I'm glad you asked this question... let me explain. All the screenshots that have been posted are shots from "Model View". Model View does not render light the same as in the game. If I made his Tunic true white, it would actually be so white that it would create a glare... Sooo, what you need to actually need to do is make it a medium grey; However, Obi's Tunic is actually a dirty (slight brown) white. In my earlier screens it was a little on the Peach side. I made this correction, but I may end up taking it to a grey, since no one seems to agree that it's in the hue that I'm using. It really comes down to which scene in the movie your looking at. In the beginning of the film Obi's Tunic is extremely clean (probably cuz he's on a diplomatic mission), Other scenes he looks more dirty. As a artist you know that there is no "True white" you will always see some color, because white is similar to silver. It reflects all the colors in the surounding environment (with white its very subtle). This is how crazy it can get when you study color theory! Too much color theory can be bad, since no one seems to care as much as an artist. Ooooops, I guess I got crazy on the explanation:rolleyes: Mars out!

Your right of cource, there really isn't a "true white" Besides, as you pointed out, the Q3 engine renders lighter colors like crap. Arco did a extremely light beige on his textures which seems to look quite nice in game.

Oh, and a lesson in color theory every once in a while is always good ;)

Archived