Home

WIP: Yarael Poof

Psyk0Sith

Yeah, I'll have to agree with Psyk0Sith on points 1 and 3.

I like shorter taunts and there is a little background hissing noise.

However, I like the pitch of the voice just the way it is. :D

Also, I would go with just a little less of an asian accent. It really sounds fine the way it is...but I think it could be toned down just a little bit. The other part of the accent, the wierd part, is great!

Oh yeah, one more thing, the jump sound could be much louder.

But, over all, very nice nomad (and nomad's brother)!:D

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sounds are quite good, they just seem too human. I played around with them in cool edit, and if the pitch is lowered half a level or so, the speed is increased for some of the longer taunts, and the hiss is filtered out, they sound much better. I can upload some samples if anyone is interested.

Originally posted by Psyk0Sith

could you please send the skin pack again?, i dunno what i happened but it's not in my box.

oh and about the icons, should i send new ones with close ups of his face?

Well I just sent it again, let me know the second you get it. When you get the skin pack, take a look at the icons. If they look ok, then dont worry about the close ups. We could do a close up for the default icon just to set the flavor, but I dont know, cuz to me it looks odd. His head popping into the icon frame looks a bit unbalanced. Just let me know what you think. Mars out!

Hey,

Sorry I disappeared a little bit the past few days.

I've been kind of busy... you know how it can be.

I've downloaded cooledit, and I've messed with the pitch a bit. Some of it sounds OK with that, and I think I'll be able to set it up nicely.

Stephen, the voice actor, suggested we lower the pitch after listening to the sounds in the game, so I'm willing to bend with the wind ;)

I actually meant to speed up the tape just a tad before I mixed it down, as that can just eliminate a bit of "human sounding quality" to the voice, so I originally did intend to slightly alter the speed... just the other way.

Psykosith, I meant to ask you if you prefered short taunts (personally I don't mind long ones if they represent the character well).

I think there are enough options that we could have a good enough mix. I could cut a couple in half, move a shorter one to the main taunt, and leave some longer ones (they're not THAT long)

sound good?

Oh, and the noise reduction seems to work nicely with cooledit. I had to increase the volume, after I put it into the PC, by so much that it definitely hurt the quality. I'll do my best to clean them up, perhaps using a better program to increase the volume again from the original levels.

Just some inside info: The way I got the voice's sound is by having the actor talk through a Didgeridoo (made from real eucolyptus tree) aimed into a bass drum with the microphone set up inside the drum. I did this to try and capture the long thin neck and the deep booming of his large chest cavity. Combined with Stephen Thomas's performance, I'm happy with the results.

We recorded at a 3 to 1 ratio on each and every taunt and sound. So, I had many, many takes to listen through and edit.

I had mentioned to Psykosith in an email that I also went with the idea that Yarael can expell air from his chest and out of his long windpipe-neck, acting like a large bellowed instrument.

I'm glad to see that people are, for the most part, happy with the sounds.

I think I can have it finished late tonight, but we'll have to meet some kind of final approval of course.

Once again, the model is truly excellent... and I'm glad you were able to fix that hand bug.

-nomad

MTFBWY

Originally posted by t3rr0r

they sound really good... any chance you could lower the pitch of his voice just a bit?

I agree, It would make it sound less human, Plus short taunts are just a good idea anyhow. They take up less space. You may want to play around with a second track overlap. Use a low base sound (similar to the gasp sound you have). If that played (overlapped) with the dialogue, you might get a more alien sound. (keep the volume way down on the gasp) Kinda like a creature with dual vocal cords. Just a thought. Mars out!

You may want to play around with a second track overlap. Use a low base sound (similar to the gasp sound you have). If that played (overlapped) with the dialogue, you might get a more alien sound. (keep the volume way down on the gasp) Kinda like a creature with dual vocal cords. Just a thought. Mars out!

We think alike. I have tried to do that. In fact that's one thing that I did do with Fisto and I thought it may work here, but the only way to do it right is to filter the second sound through an envelope that matches the spoken words. When I've tried it as is, it just sounds pretty much like backround noise. Before I sent any of these out, I had tried using an exhaling along with the voice, to make it seem like he expells air through a second tube, while he speaks... but this sounded too much like Vader actually.

If I could write a filter to act out the frequencies of the voice and put the low humming through that... then we'd be cooking. However, I don't know how to do that with these programs.

I honestly went for a simple voice for Yarael, just because that's what I imagined. I'm still messing with them now, (sorry that I gave a false finish line) but I want to get these done, because I'm not sure if I'm delaying things here... hope not.

The main reason I'm not finished yet is because the pain sounds that I had recorded DO NOT work with the new way that the voice sounds. It doesn't work well when I've lowered their pitch, so I want to record new pain sounds. That's not a big deal, it's just that I couldn't get to do it until tonight.

PsykoSith, please email me if you need me to get these to you sooner.

I've just been quite busy, but I want to do a good job on these.

-nomad

MTFBWY

I'm still doing a bit of experimentation with the weighting, this will give you more time, so don't worry about the delay.

thanks for taking the time to do these!, i'll aslo experiment with the sounds just for fun.

I can upload some samples if anyone is interested.

Yo inbred! i'm interested :), just let me know when you have something ready for download.

Hey, I just got back into town.

I'm glad you like the sounds PsykoSith.

I think this model kicks :D

Sorry I didn't send a different jump... I must have forgotten it when I packed them up for you (I was in a bit of a rush)

I did make some alternate jump sounds... though none were much better than what you had (maybe shorter). If you want to mess with that yourself, feel free.

I need some major sleep right now, but I'll try and help you out however I can afterwards... if you haven't released it by then. Honestly everything's cool as is, but if we can make any improvements... by all means, we shall :D

-nomad

flim flammer and the flam flams

What should the recommended size be with jedimod (or any scaling mod)? i thought 1.4 or 1.3 would be good, cuz his head's pretty high compared to kyle.

Remember that when he's scaled too tall he wont fit in some doorways, the player will most likely have to crouch to pass through.

Not a big deal when dueling, but in FFA you have to think about that.

I've been playing around in FFA with 1.4 for a while now.

Definitely seems good. You have to crouch through some doorways, although so does Shaquille Oneal.

I keep thinking I should try 1.35, but I haven't yet.

Have you ever noticed that you can't always pick up items when you are a very large scale? So, I end up using Force Pull to pick up the items.

Anyone else have this issue? (I don't mind it myself)

Sorry I haven't been more in touch. I've just been so busy with other stuff.

I did spend a bunch of time working on a new jump sound today. I'm sending you some files (I think I left falling, land and jump out of the misc I sent you)

I also have some Sith taunts that I started a while ago. You could give the Sith Skin his own sounds if you don't mind the added file size. I'll throw those taunts in there so you can hear them. They need more work, but I figured you might like to hear the possibilities.

-nomad

MTFBWY

Thanx nomad, i've converted the sounds to 64kbps so the file is just under 2mb, also lowered the pitch of the pain sound for the sith. The sith sounds could have used a couple variation but it's better than nothing.

I think 1.4 is good, people can always resize if they have some problems.

This model hasn't been realeased to the general public yet has it?

Nope but i think i will release it today, unless we need to have more sith sounds? or if there's something that need to be fixed...

sorry for the wait...hang in there it's almost released!

Archived