Home

A computer's lifetime..?

Qui-GONE Jinn

Originally posted by Qui-GONE Jinn

And by the way, Jah warrior, the motherboards is called something along these lines: MSI KT4 ULTRA m/b for Socket A KT400, ATA 133, ATX, USB2.0, AGP 8x..

Seems to meet your requirements?

yeah sounds ok, msi are lower end of market but spec seems good.

Abit AT7Max 2R is probably one of the best but its more expensive for the same spec, its your call.

as far a cpu goes, xp2400 is the best deal, its £100 more for the extra 133mhz pah

OK, how about...

It has a glowing screen which changes if I click on certain things with my rollerball mouse, a rather tall tower unit (but not as big as those I have seen) and a keyboard which allows me to type this. I think that's all...

Was that enough? There are some wires which come out the back, but they are all long and grey with big round plugs on the end. Does that help?

I was considering a major PC upgrade...but I've decided to hold off until next year, until all of the new standards have sorted themselves out. The newest tech is invariably buggy to begin with, and it takes a little while for better designs to come through the pipeline.

I' ve still got my tired old Athlon T-Bird 850Mhz with 256Mb SDRAM. I had a GF2 until recently, but upgraded the graphics to a Radeon 9700 Pro, and it's breathed some new life into a tired spec. If it wasn't for some driver issues, it would probably be even better...

Anyway, I'll wait until Serial ATA is well-established, AGP 8x actually makes a difference, DDR400 RAM is more widely available, and the price of that new 320Gb hard drive comes down. Heh. ;)

BTW, good to see you around, Qui-GONE and Simpson. ;)

Well, I know compared to a 2400 that my 1500 might not seem like much, but I went with an Abit Kg-7 boardfor one of the 1500s and an ASUS A7S333 for my other, plus I have a Water Cooling system to go with the ASUS, which will have 512 of PC-2100 RAM (until I upgrade to 3500), plus a 60 GB HD and a palitDaytona GeForce4 Ti4200.

But yea, with the VIA KT400, and a 2400 AthlonXP , you should be set for at least 3 years. Plus with the card, it will last ya awhile.. A friend of mine still uses an STB Velocity 128 AGP, and it still runs fine, even with some new beta drivers he got from somewhere. I ask how he even plans to play some games with it.. He said very carefully... :D

Bah, I can't get the new computer before January 1st 2003 at the earliest, as I've used up my number of outtakes from my bank-account, and have to pay a percentage of the outtake to the bank if I take out any more money.

Damnit.. Wellwell, I'll probably ask you for computer-advice again in January, guys..:)

Archived