Home

WIP: Mars

wedge2211

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, i'll think about that.

Yeah, you will be able to go outside. The idea is that there's a base set into a canyon wall, so you can take an elevator topside and walk around a bit on the surface, but there will also be hangars opening into the canyon and such.

Don't get too scientific on me. Heh, heh. ;)

I just finished making it play Holst in the background!

Now, I ahve 2 questions for people out there...

(1), How can I edit a fog shader? I want to make red fog (now for you scientific types, I *KNOW* there's barely any moisture on Mars, I just want a canyon to fade into the distance but I want it to fade to RED, so I think I'll do it with fog.)

(2), Does the speed key of a func_train translate to some definite value of units/second? I have a door in from of an enclosed func_train, and I ONLY want the door to open when the func_train is present, and since funcs can't trip trigger_multiples, I figure I'll set off the door with a func_timer that is timed to go off each time the train gets to the destination. And I'd hate to get the value slightly wrong so that it starts okay but halway through a FFA game the door is suddenly openeing when the train is gone and closing when it is there. Not too useful. :)

Originally posted by wedge2211

(1), How can I edit a fog shader? I want to make red fog (now for you scientific types, I *KNOW* there's barely any moisture on Mars, I just want a canyon to fade into the distance but I want it to fade to RED, so I think I'll do it with fog.)

(2), Does the speed key of a func_train translate to some definite value of units/second? I have a door in from of an enclosed func_train, and I ONLY want the door to open when the func_train is present, and since funcs can't trip trigger_multiples, I figure I'll set off the door with a func_timer that is timed to go off each time the train gets to the destination. And I'd hate to get the value slightly wrong so that it starts okay but halway through a FFA game the door is suddenly openeing when the train is gone and closing when it is there. Not too useful. :)

Answers:

1) I know it's possible, but I don't know how. You could ask WhiteShdw, I believe he's edited fog shaders before.

2) Yes. The speed key translates to 1:1 (1 unit per second). To do what you're looking to do, though, I'd make a small map to test the timing and stuff.

It's pretty easy to do. Just open up the fogs.shader file in ShaderED for an example. There you can easily set the draw distance and color of your fog.

Also have a look at the actual code of the fogs.

Setting the draw distance is easy to do, but if you want to change the color you should really use BehaveEd, because you have to use an RGB value and that's not easy to get. Let me know if you're having trouble.

Hehehe. FUNC_Timer. And to think that until I found it, we didn't really know what it was for! :)

At least, if wee did, ,no-one bothered to say anything THEN!

Good looking map, BTW. I noticed you mentioned (on the page) a few of the prominant Martian landscapes, such as the face. You gonna try to work that in also, ,or no?

Um, hmm, Valles Marineris (sp?) is the H-U-G-E Martian version of the grand canyon. I'm not even gonna TRY to do anything for Olympus Mons, WAAAY too big. :) The face though, that's a good idea...if it was real...

http://wso.williams.edu/~jshoer/outcast.htm for some NEW SHOTS!!! I did put trim on the kejim textures, they look much better now. I've experimented with a couple industrial-looking doors that include grating textures (you can see through em :) ), and I managed to get my lift door thingy working (sorta) by just putting a trigger in the path of the elevator at the destination point so when the elevator gets there, the rider trips the trigger and the door opens. ;) EXTERIOR SHOTS, TOO...I'm using one of the Tattoine skyboxes floating around...the rocks are still very rough-looking, but I'm working on it!

Thanks for the fog help...what exactly is draw distance now?

Interesting idea on the grating... my only question there would be, doesnt that negate the effect of the areaportals? If you can see through them, the engine has to draw whats there. Cool idea, but will the tradeoff in performance be worth it?

As to the face - I know it doesn't exist 'per se', but those shadows that form it are pretty close to one. What's wrong with a little 'poetic licence' so to speak?

Thanks for the fog help...what exactly is draw distance now?

textures/fogs/fog1

{

qer_editorimage textures/fogs/fog.tga

qer_nocarve

surfaceparm nonsolid

surfaceparm nonopaque

surfaceparm fog

surfaceparm trans

q3map_nolightmap

fogparms ( 0 0 0 ) 256.0

cull disable

}

This is a basic fog shader code. There is only one row which you need to edit:

"fogparms ( 0 0 0 ) 256.0"

( 0 0 0 ) This is where you input the color in RGB values. This is best done in ShaderEd, because there you get a pop up window that allows you to select different colors.

256.0 This is where you set the draw distance or view distance. This value defines how far you can see in the fog. It's measured in Radiant Grid units.

Originally posted by Shadriss

Interesting idea on the grating... my only question there would be, doesnt that negate the effect of the areaportals? If you can see through them, the engine has to draw whats there. Cool idea, but will the tradeoff in performance be worth it?

I think so...the only doors I've done that with are doors in front of elevators, so there really isn't a whole heck of a lot of extra area being drawn. On my computer, when I did a BSP fastVIS, the FPS in those areas was around 90. :) It does look really neat, though, I'm gonna keep it.

Cool, I have some good fog effects, and the outdoor area is just about finished, then I'll complete the underground levels. Oh, and I rationalized the decompression thingy...let's say the players have suits and can breathe and not explode in the thin Martian atmosphere, but if you puncture the base you still get a lot of wind trying to get outside. Heh heh...

Okay, a couple people complimented the skybox, and i think I mentioned this before but I'll say it again to be safe, it isn't MY skybox. I pulled it outta one of the Tatooine maps floating around out there, it was just way too perfect. I'll figure out exactly whose it is and give em full credit in the readme. But thanks anyways!

Colorizing the rock and sand textures helped a lot, too. ;)

AND, I have finished up the basic outside area, and I'm moving on to the second (of 3) underground levels...Should go fairly quickly...my elevator/door timers are working nicely, too.

Here's a shot of the basic layout in Radiant: http://wso.williams.edu/~jshoer/images/editingshot.jpg

Basically, you run around inside the base that's built into the cliff wall and on top of the cliff area that's directly above the base, the canyon itself is just for show (and throwing people into, of course :D). I want to get some general opinion...do you all think it would be better to leave the map as is, playable on only one side of the canyon, or build in a natural stone bridge to cross over and some stone formations on the other side? Nothing too extensive, basically a couple of rocks to jump around on and some goodies (ie, rocket launcher/disruptor), but it would certainly expand the arena and the possiblities.

I'd have to say yes.

If you can pull it off and still have a decent framerate, most deffenitly yes.

Always look for a chance to expand a map, makes it more fun.

And also add some destructable stuff, such as the rocks, maybe some pipes(I've always thought that it'd be fun to blow a chunk out of the wall, but you don't have to do that).

Make it logical though. Don't have the entire thing explode, have some undestructable parts of the entire object.

I can't wait to play this map, sounds very fun.

But don't rush it, never rush a map(I should know that, I've had a map in production since the tools came out, and it's still sitting on my hd...:eek: ).

The map looks really good, but one suggestion. You might want to experiment with stretching the textures for the rock/canyon faces. They look was too pattered. If you don't know how to do it, let me know.

And if you know how, but like them the way they are...then that's fine too...just offering my opinion :)

SunBurN

Archived