Home

WIP: Mars

wedge2211

Wedge,

I noticed while going through your screenshots, one which was called, "What will be the levelshot."

Allow me to help you on this.

When you make a level shot, before you take the screenshot, always type the following codes into th consel:

cg_draw2d 0(turns off all 2d objects, such as the hud, avatar, and other things on the screen)

cg_drawgun 0(turns off the weapon)

This will give your map a much more professional look, as the start up screen will not show any excess items, and only showcase the level.

Great map otherwise, I'll deffinetly download it. As long as it includes bot support.

And since some people seem to have trouble bot supporting, if you don't feel up to the task, allow me to help you out. I'm not the best bot router, but I can make it if you need it to be. I feel that bot routes are the final thing that add a professional feel to a map. It is essential, otherwise some people will not download the map(such as me, although I do occasionally download maps without bot support, due to the incredible detail to the map. I then bot route it myself.).

Please take my suggestions to heart, as it will make the map much better, not that it isn't a good map to start with. :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just thinking about varying the rock textures myself, actually. What I did origianlly was take the Artus rock texture and colorize it with a red filter, but then I re-discovered all the rock textures in the Yavin set, so that'll give me some extra rocks to bang together. I don't really like the regular appearance of the canyon walls, either. :)

Thanks Grets! About the levelshot, the picture caption really only meant that that's the angle of the shot. RichDiesal's tuts go on quite a bit about how to take uber-quality levelshots and such (though I'm not averse to just typing "levelshot" myself). I'm okay with handling that.

I've seen a couple bot-support tutorials and descriptions, and I think I have a pretty good idea of how bot supporting works. THis is my first map for public release, though...I'd like to try it myself and get a feel for it before I ask for help. Thanks for the offer!

I would like to point out that the skybox used in this map, wich is seen in the screenshots, is made by me for my tatooine-map...and normaly i would let you use it, but it turns out that it may be used in the Attack of the Clones: TC. Im sorry to say this but im afraid that i cant let you use it :(

Good luck with the map, it looks really good...

-Buck out :duel:

I have to say this now, i have been browsing through your screenshots and i must say that they look fantastic. That long hallway and how the interior blend together with the exterior. it looks really cool that some parts of the buildings can be seen from outside :D

and one other thing, non of the screenshots from 11 Nov shots, 3rd level interior works. You just get a message File Not Found...

Thanks a lot...there's some more eye candy up there for you as of today, I have FINSIHED the interior architecture. The hangar bay is also visible form the exterior, to the right and down from the window in the cliff, I haven't taken a shot of that yet though, I'm going to wait till I can crank myself out a new skybox.

Has anyone else seen those file not found errors? I tried the links and they seem to work, but I'm accessing them from inside the network.

BTW, I expect this thread will be moved to the showcase forum any time now, watch ther for updates. I estimate completion this weekend. :D

OK, things have slowed down a little, but I'm getting back on track...here goes:

First off, I'm in desparate need of a skybox. I would REALLY like anyone (buckman, you mentioned this, and I'd really appreciate it) to point me to a Bryce 5 tutorial and how to use Bryce to make skyboxes. If no one can do that, would someone be willing to make me a Martian skybox??? I would REALLY appreciate it. I'm going to go Beta VERY SOON with a temporary sky, but I need a polished one.

Speaking of beta, I still would like a few testers!! Check the Beta Testing forum for details on that front.

As for general progress - The only things I have left to do are finishing one of the traps, finish putting in player spawn points, and then do some bot routing. Then as soon as I ahve a couple more testers I will do some beta testing and then RELEASE! I'm more than a little excited.

Anyone interested in testing or helping me out with the skybox?!?! I can finish this thing before the weekend if I can get these few things done!

I ahve FINSIHED with the architecture, FINSIHED with details in the map, FINSIHED with placing entities and making the levelshot and everything...except bot routing. I tried this just now, myself. It worked, except my bots tend to get stuck between two waypoints. It's very frustrating. I spectated an all-bot round and watched as, one by one, each of the bots got themselves snagged on a corner of hung up between two waypoints.

Is anyone out there, experienced in bot support, willing to add waypoints to this map?

Also, I'm still in need of a skybox...

MARS FFA IS NOW EXITING MY EMAIL OUTBOX FOR THE FILES SECTION OF JKII.NET

Thank you to all who helped me out on this project, I'm really glad to see it go out of my hands and into the community.

The map includes many playable areas, including a hangar, cargo bays, life support bays, vents, control rooms, locker rooms, computer rooms, and exterior areas; I have also included background music (Holst's "Mars, the God of War"). The beta testers (thank you, thank you) said that this was a fun map to play, I hope you all enjoy it. Look for it on jkii.net soon!

Archived