Home

Best video game series of all time

CagedCrado

Originally posted by CagedCrado

Ya but final fantasy sold as much in 13 games as zelda has with 8 and another one in December (or february which is it ? ), also the recent final fantasy games have all been crap. The last good one was 7, the new ones just cant compare to the excellent 4,5,6 and 7. The early games own 8-10 and i know they will easily wipe the floor with 11, also 11 may not come out in the states. I like final fantasy, but zelda will always sell more, be played longer, and loved forever, while you new final fantasy players tend to throw FF1 out the window, and i know most of you havent played the SNES ff games as you would not be playing the new ones now. (just my opinion, dont take it personally)

Oh and about the FF movie, im sure nintendo was planning a zelda movie because everybody wants one, but decided against it because oh how horribly the FF movie sold (i liked it but non gamers didnt understand it, and the cgi is ahead of its time and thought to be for kids, which it isnt.)

1) I don't think that amount of games sold is a fair estimate of "greatness" for a game (or series, for that matter) because even really crappy games can sell well, but still suck.

2) RPGs didn't really become popular and mainstream in the US until Final Fantasy VII. This would obviously hurt the sales.

3) Zelda has always been clasified into the "Adventure" genre. The newer ones have had RPG elements, but it's gameplay is still mostly hack and slash. The FF series, on the other hand, is a pure RPG. Refer back to point 2.

4) With the exception of IX, which I just felt was embarassing, all the recent ones I have liked just as much as the old ones. Many people didn't like VIII because it was innovative - they wanted Square to do the same old thing, but they didn't (and because of this, VIII is one of my favorites).

5) I don't really like the idea of XI being a MMORPG, but it is coming out in the US. I think that if Square wanted to make an MMORPG, they should've made it a FF spinoff (like FF Tactics or something). They also shouldn't have made it for PS2... it really should be for the computer.

6) The early ones don't wipe the floor with the more recent ones - I think perhaps you're just remembering when you played them originally how awesome they were. Well, you were younger and more imaginative then; now you're old and cynical (joking :D). I think each successive FF (again, omitting FF IX) has been an improvement of the one before it, and it is this ability to evolve that gives the series it's longiviety.

7) I'm not sure about how true your comment is these days about Zelda always selling more... Nintendo is not doing as well as it once was, and they tend to be slipping more and more primarily into the kids market (which is not as profitable as the older age groups). Also, RPGs are now mainstream here in the States, so we'll just see who sells more from now on.

8) Also not sure about your comment about Zelda being played longer... you certainly can't be refering to the length of the games, or their replay value, so what is it you are referring to? I certainly didn't hang onto Ocarina of Time (or my N64) very long after I beat it. And it didn't take much time to complete, either.

9) I take offense to your "if you had played the SNES ones, you wouldn't play the new ones" comment. I've played the series since the heady days of the NES, and have the true II and III translated in ROM form on my comp (yes, I'm a nerd). From what I've seen over the years, the series just keeps improving. It's the people that want the exact same game over and over again that keep complaining.

10) Graphically, the games are no comparison. When they were both on the NES/SNES, they were about the same. Since Zelda went with Nintendo and FF with Sony... the Final Fantasy games have looked and sounded much better. Even with the new Zelda game coming out with cell-shaded animation, it looks like a Saturday morning cartoon and seems to be primarily aimed at kids (see point 7).

11) The only thing I will agree with you on is the Final Fantasy movie. I think it shouldn't have had the Final Fantasy name tacked on - it's only there for recognition. While the CG was great, it was just much too Japanese/anime style storytelling for an American audience.

Sorry everyone for the length of this post, but I think this sums up the argument pretty well. :D

Best game series

Metal Gear (First one had too many damn key cards though)

Zelda (fishing and shooting the bow and arrow...wow!)

Metroid (have you fools have forgotten Mother Brain?!)

Diablo (excellent story lines)

GTA III (there are two, does that qualify as a series?)

Mega Man (face it you liked fring the little lemons just as much as I did)

Street Fighter (this game started a revolution)

Resident Evil (absolutely ownz)

that is all for now....

Zelda has a very long and complex story, check out a zelda site sometime. Itrs true you cant always go by sales, but with zelda and final fantasy, im pretty sure you can. FYI: celshaded graphics are the new style, many new games have them and they are remaking games from 80ish things, so dont go off and say something is kiddy because it is celshaded. A link to the past was kiddy and cel shaded and it sold great. (well it was extremly cartoony) Also i dobt square could have done anything with the crappy n64 either, it was just designed for a different type of graphics, which is where nintendo has always had its strong points, best games, best controllers, and cartoony graphics (not that it cant do the realistic graphics, it just does anime and cartoon graphics very well), not to mention the most popular system ever, the SNES which had the cartoony graphics on purpose, and frankly as the systems get more powerful it will always lean back to that. It is just clasic. Also did i mention i just really hate ff 9 and 10 (i changed my mind on 8 since i never played it).

Not that i dont like final fantasy, i do its one of my favorite games, but i would take zelda over any final fantasy game (7 ties)

Also, some of the story is in the instruction book, but if you play all of the games there is a story. You have to play them all and probably need some help, its not as good as FF7, but better than the rest of the final fantasy games.

Why do you want an Xbox? it hasnt got any games i would consider instant classics, PS2 has plenty (final fantasy, i forget its name but it was on nes, robotech was an instant classic to me, devil may cry, the list goes on and on and on, Gamecube: this is a no brainer, any game made by nintendo is a good game, no doubt. [minus pikmin, which SUCKS]) Xbox has no classics that arent on other systems. Halo IS NOT classic at all, it has been used 1000 times on a hundred different consoles and the PC, it is no good. Usually i can find something good to say about a system or a game, but i just dont like Xbox.

Originally posted by CagedCrado

Why do you want an Xbox? it hasnt got any games i would consider instant classics, PS2 has plenty (final fantasy, i forget its name but it was on nes, robotech was an instant classic to me, devil may cry, the list goes on and on and on, Gamecube: this is a no brainer, any game made by nintendo is a good game, no doubt. [minus pikmin, which SUCKS]) Xbox has no classics that arent on other systems. Halo IS NOT classic at all, it has been used 1000 times on a hundred different consoles and the PC, it is no good. Usually i can find something good to say about a system or a game, but i just dont like Xbox.

wooptee freakin doo. Did I ask for your opinion on an XBox? No. I already have a PS2 and a Gamecube so shut your trap.

actually zelda has sold more than mario, mario is just better known (i think a poll on here non scientifically proved mario is better known than mickey mouse) mario has sold much more merchandise though.

Sonic is the only good game sega ever made...... for computer games, id say dark forces, i really dont like star craft much, i started playing it when it was too old.

Star Craft had a great story line and theyve gotta be making a sequel with the way they ended the first. Raynor still has to kill Kerrigan.:mad:

But Zelda has I think the best story line out there at least for consoles. That would make a great movie. I hope they do. Jake Lloyd looks like a good Link to me. He may be too old now though.

Perfect Dark would be second place for story line IMO.

Of course the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series is the best SW game story.

Originally posted by JediNyt

Star Craft had a great story line and theyve gotta be making a sequel with the way they ended the first. Raynor still has to kill Kerrigan.:mad:

Well, blzzard can allwayz make like a "de-infesting" terren machine if they want or something and they need a Starcraft sequl ending in ultamate terren victory, theve already done ultame protoss and ultame victory for zerg

Originally posted by JandoFett1842

Well, blzzard can allwayz make like a "de-infesting" terren machine if they want or something and they need a Starcraft sequl ending in ultamate terren victory, theve already done ultame protoss and ultame victory for zerg

Well the Protoss Victory was bittersweet. It was still a great victory over the overmind but it was only the beginning of a greater enemy. Since the Terrans and Protoss are allies(at least Raynors Terrans are) they need a full joint victory and wipe out of the Zerg and the Xelnaga.

Archived