Home

Only for Xbox (means crap)

CagedCrado

Originally posted by ZDawg

Any game that isnt for the PC draws away from it... period.

Yes, but the X-Box draws away from it more.

GTA III came out on PC the same time it did for PS2

Halo is coming out way later on pc than it did for the X-box.

Originally posted by ZDawg

wth... that doesnt make any diffrence... JO is comming to GC and XBox latter than it did for PC, so what? whats your point?

That's different, microsoft didnt buy out Raven.

Here let me put it this way.

The x-box takes away games from the pc if Microsoft buys a company.

If some of you bother to read some of the specs for the XBOX, it runs DirectX 8.1, so it provides an easy second alternative to port to, without a lot of need for heavy development, like with the PS2, which is totally different to the PC structure.

BTW, IMO I believe that with MS coming into the non-PC market, it will lift the game of the competition, no matter whether MS is successful or not. They have a lot more money than Sony and Nintendo put together, so they are in for the long haul......

Originally posted by BCanr2d2

BTW, IMO I believe that with MS coming into the non-PC market, it will lift the game of the competition, no matter whether MS is successful or not. They have a lot more money than Sony and Nintendo put together, so they are in for the long haul......

Unless MS tries to buy out the other console giants. Er...hasn't it already tried to do that?

The MS policy is not simply to thrive in a certain market, but to totally dominate it. They're not interested in competition...so other developers can't really raise the bar and compete against MS, because MS will come along and buy them out. I have to agree with Tyrion's point, there. Because the X-Box is an easier platform to port to is not necessarily a good thing. It now seems that every time a decent-looking game for the PC by a small developer pops out of the woodwork, MS go and buy the company...and make it an 'X-Box exclusive' title. Except that 'X-Box exclusive' is misleading. MS can use the phrase one day to mean a title won't appear on any other consoles, another day that it won't appear on any other platform, another day that it just won't appear on PC for six months. They play word games and mess with your head.

As for Halo...it was in development for PC for a long time, and was due for release on the PC platform about 6 months before X-Box even came onto the market. MS came along and bought Bungie, and the game was ported to X-Box. At the very beginning, they said it would still appear on PC...but then changed their minds. Only a lot of pressure from PC gamers has forced MS to re-evaluate, and now they will be porting Halo back to the PC...and it will arrive nearly 2 years after it should have in the first place. MS saw a game that a lot of PC gamers were anticipating, and snatched it as their first X-Box title in an attempt to get PC gamers to buy X-Boxes. Yes, it's a smart business move...but a pretty crappy ethical one.

Is it any wonder, then, that a lot of PC gamers can get annoyed when the word X-Box is mentioned? I, for one, feel that I am being messed around. I see a new title announced for PC...and 6 months later it's suddenly an X-Box title, and will no longer appear on PC. That just gets annoying. It's bad enough when titles in development go belly-up, without having this uncertainty that a game is going to arrive on a platform they announced at the beginning.

At least when a game is announced for PS2 or something...you know it's going to arrive on PS2. These days when a title is announced for PC, you just say to yourself 'Yeah, right - I'll believe it when I see the game box sitting on the shelf at my local game store with PC stamped on it'. So MS has brought a lot more uncertainty into the marketplace, and that's why lots of people don't like MS or the X-Box, IMO.

Anyway, I've bought a PS2 for my son for Christmas. There seem to be a lot more titles available for it in his age range (X-Box is pretty rubbish in that regard) - and it can run PSOne games, a lot of which are also in his age range, so that's a big bonus. :)

Stormhammer,

You are taking the Halo example out of context with other games launched for PC and XBOX....

Fair enough that MS got a very good launch title, by getting it from the PC development cycle to XBOX instead. Not fair is your misinterpretation of the "XBOX exclusive" which currently means "time exclusive" - that it will be on XBOX a certain amount of time before it hits PCs.

PC's aren't the largest, nor most important market in the world, consoles are higher unit sellers for the home market, and finally we are seeing that this is also the case with software developers. It has only taken ONE decently powered console for PC gamers to feel left in the cold - imagine how you will feel with the PS3 and XBOX2 are released, when more and more games are released for the LARGER console market first....

BTW - it is the PSX - or currently labelled PSClassic that is the original PSX, and the PSOne is a slightly improved model released at the same time as the PS2!!! Now who is playing the market for fools?

Originally posted by StormHammer

Unless MS tries to buy out the other console giants. Er...hasn't it already tried to do that?

The MS policy is not simply to thrive in a certain market, but to totally dominate it. They're not interested in competition...

But other companies are? Microsoft are no worse than any other company, they're just more successful.

I'm reading this going...um....

SONIC

MARIO BROS

RESIDENT EVIL

ZELDA

hum....every console/maker like Sega, Nintendo, Playstation and HA even the XBOX has some game series that is exclusive to them. Only recently had Sega and Nintendo been able to steal Resident Evil away from Sony. Yes it is very annoying to have to wait for a friggin game to come out - only to find out it is available for only ONE system - and usually not the one you own. And you really have to debate...well....crap do I have 200 bucks laying around so I can go buy their system to play that game. Its like choosing an IBM or a Mac. Their are going to be things you get on an IBM that you can't on a Mac or things on a Mac that aren't on an IBM. Its how they sell their systems. They know a true gamer will probably get bored of one system and possibly purchase theirs. And people will only do that if certain games are available on One system or the other.

the cube stole rogue leader away from us PC gamers. i remember a petition waaaaaaaay back when ubb was rsn. damn nintendo for that, the majority wanted it for PC, the LEAST they could have done was make it available for ALL consoles. that is another reason why i'm going to get an xbox, to spit in nintendo's face for taking away a game that i dreamed about. (well, i'll eventually get a gamecube just for rogue leader :rolleyes: )

Originally posted by Rogue15

the cube stole rogue leader away from us PC gamers. i remember a petition waaaaaaaay back when ubb was rsn. damn nintendo for that, the majority wanted it for PC, the LEAST they could have done was make it available for ALL consoles. that is another reason why i'm going to get an xbox, to spit in nintendo's face for taking away a game that i dreamed about.

What? Bitching at Microsoft for "stealing" Halo is stupid enough, but this is completely insane. Nintendo don't own Factor 5, they have no control over what systems LucasArts choose to release the game for.

1. they sell all games that are on Xbox, and XBox consoles

2. they wait a little bit for the computer power to catch up

3. once everyone has a XBox and Halo...

4. they make more money by selling to PC owners

The reason why they are going this is because they are trying to sell the most games and consoles (between GC, PS2, Xbox)

GC makes money by: Having uncopieable discs and Its cute look+ cheapness

PS2: Lots of games, most are good

Xbox: Power, look, and Halo

PS-But right now XBox has a sweet deal, $299.99 get you the console, a controler, and 2 games!!!:D

Originally posted by BCanr2d2

Not fair is your misinterpretation of the "XBOX exclusive" which currently means "time exclusive" - that it will be on XBOX a certain amount of time before it hits PCs.

And where is the official announcement to that effect? :)

I'm sorry, but your argument doesn't seem to hold up, considering you use the word 'currently' yourself. That means it is open to change...so my various interpretations remain valid. However, my entire point was that the phrase itself was open to misinterpretation when used in different contexts. ;)

PC's aren't the largest, nor most important market in the world, consoles are higher unit sellers for the home market, and finally we are seeing that this is also the case with software developers.

I totally agree (as far as games are concerned). :)

Consoles can reach a wider and more varied target audience than PCs and have a deeper home market penetration. However, simply because PC gamers form a smaller (perhaps even a minority) games market does not mean it is insignificant, or that their perceptions and arguments are invalid.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with consoles. I don't even care if a title is released on console first, and then PC...or not on PC at all. As long as those intentions are made clear from the outset. I do get annoyed when any PC game moves to any other platform half-way through development. I simply cite the MS/Halo example because it's more visible and recognisable. As you rightly say, there are other examples.

The only issue I have with some console to PC ports is that not enough consideration is given to the differing control mechanics on the PC platform. I use a mouse and keyboard, along with a considerable proportion of other PC gamers, yet a lot of console to PC ports ignore the mouse entirely and just give you keyboard controls. I've tried many such ports, and they've all seemed a bit uninspired (just my preference I guess), with too much button-mashing, sometimes restricted viewpoints (so you can't see where you're going), and often no ability to change the screen resolution.

I certainly don't think the PC is dead as a gaming platform...it still has considerable support, and the modular format of the technology (i.e., upgradeability) I see as a strength rather than a weakness. There are a considerable number of titles in development that I'm looking forward to playing.

The other issue I have with consoles is the price of the individual games. I guess I'll have to grin and bear the cost now I've got a PS2 in the house...but I still can't quantify why a game on a console costs £40 when the same title on PC costs £25. It's particularly remarkable considering the (entirely valid) argument that they are likely to sell more units to the console market than to the PC market - surely the price of the PC version should be higher, not lower, considering the limited market share?

Now the ultimate question is...would I change to a console myself in the future? Yes, sure I would...if they could give me the same flexibility of control offered by a keyboard/mouse combo, the same depth and immersion as some of the better PC titles I've played, higher screen resolutions (which unfortunately is limited by your TV set - which is another cost people forget to associate with consoles), and ugradeability, so I don't have to fork out £300 every time a new console comes out. £300 for a new graphics card on my PC I can live with (just)...because I use my PC for a lot of other graphics-intensive tasks not related to games that will take advantage of the extra power.

Would I consider playing on a console at the moment? In their current form, no, I wouldn't, and that's just my personal preference.

BTW - it is the PSX - or currently labelled PSClassic that is the original PSX, and the PSOne is a slightly improved model released at the same time as the PS2!!! Now who is playing the market for fools?

Really? I wouldn't know, and I don't particularly care. The only thing that interests me is that I can get some PSOne versions of games cheaper than PS2 counterparts, and they'll still play on the PS2. :)

Originally posted by Carl Shutt

But other companies are? Microsoft are no worse than any other company, they're just more successful.

I think I'll agree to disagree with you there. There are not a great many high profile companies that have had anti-trust cases against them. Microsoft has, and for good reasons, as far as I'm concerned.

I would also argue that a large proportion of other companies welcome competition, because it forces them to innovate, update and progress, which often leads to better market share, higher profits and happier customers. If you don't have competition to continually drive you forward, you stagnate, become complacent, and take your customer-base for granted.

So if Company A makes and sells a product, and then Company B comes out with a better product at a lower price, then Company A has to try a little bit harder, and push the technology forward. Now along comes Company C, who is only interested in market domination. They buy out both Company A and Company B, and make one version of the product for the market...and because there's no longer any competition, they say 'Take it or leave it'. So if the end consumer needs that product, they have to buy it...regardless of whether it's any good or not.

You could argue that Company C is more successful, because they have practically total control of the market. I would argue that it limits consumer choice, and leads to stagnation within that market.

Therefore, I totally disagree with any company that sets out to aggressively dominate (monopolise) any particular market, because I know that as the end-consumer I'm eventually going to get a raw deal. Unfortunately, Microsoft has become such a company, and so I disagree with it. British Telecom, which has a stranglehold on the telecommunications infrastructure in the UK, is another. :)

CagedCrado... dont take this all wrong. But you complain a lot. I've noticed this from a lot of threads you created or in those you reply to.

You allmost never have a positive opinion. You hate Microsoft, you hate Xbox, you hate Macintosh.

I mean... why do you hate them? Because you dont have one thus making it not cool?

Really... who cares if a game is for one system only. Who cares if they advertise it for only one system. Who cares if one system is better than the other. Just be happy with what you have and I'll be happy with what I have.

And for the note of people saying some games were stolen from PC to Console. Here's one damn good reason for them to BE on the console:

PIRACY! There are a LOT less piracy of console games than Computer Games, and I dont need to go make a survey for that.

Agreed, Consoles games are a lot harder to rip off than computer games.

I also enjoy console gaming because they almost never ever freeze up and you don't have to install them, they're always ready to play whenever you want them.

I'm actually quite tired of hearing people who don't own X-boxes rip on the X-box....mostly because i was one of them once and i now see how foolish i was. I went out and bought an Xbox and i couldn't be happier with a console.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

I also enjoy console gaming because they almost never ever freeze up and you don't have to install them, they're always ready to play whenever you want them.

I'm actually quite tired of hearing people who don't own X-boxes rip on the X-box....mostly because i was one of them once and i now see how foolish i was. I went out and bought an Xbox and i couldn't be happier with a console.

Well said ET Warrior!! :thumbsup:

Archived