Home

Attack Of The Clones: It's Star Wars for the 80's!

Doubleplus GC

What? Why hasn't it come up already?

In my professional opinion, I must give complements to George Lucas for creating the greatest science-fiction comedy since Spaceballs. George Lucas is the first true successor to Mel Brookes that the 21st century has seen. In this landmark film, Lucas deftly spoofs such sci-fi classics as Highlander, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, and Highlander 2, not to mention making more than a few references to his own Star Wars trilogy. More robots falling down than Terminator 2, more decapitations than Braveheart, romantic heart on par with You've Got Mail, comperable sense of style to Battlefield Earth, this film has it all. The only quibble one might have is with the original score by John Williams; though Williams' strings and brass have served him well in the past, isn't it about time that Star Wars caught up with the XBox generation's tastes? When young Annikan Skywalker finds his mother gasping her last breath and he glares at the zooming camera, sure, the choir and symphony are nice, but the audience knows that Serious Sam screaming "waaaaaaaaaarrrrr!" would be more appropriate. As a side note, the audience really livens up seeing this film, shouting lines and adding new dialogue in true Rocky Horror fashion. Definitely a fantastic successor to the legacy started with More American Graffiti. 4 1/2 out of 5 chainsaws.

I may be scorned and frowned upon for enjoying the film (I hate the Defender of Star Wars tag, so don't TOUCH that fucking keyboard), but I didn't bother starting a new topic half a year after the release of the movie.

I'm not saying anything along the lines of "if you didn't like it, that's fine, but don't try to ruin the fun for everyone else" - shit, that's what we do here - but really, if you go into a Star Wars movie expecting anything more than you got (which honestly wasn't as bad as it's made up to be) you're leaving in DREAMLAND, buddy, DREAMLAND!

Ahem.

It was a funny post, though, and now that we're on the topic, I would be interested in hearing some of the main agitationating points of the flick. Really, I have zero film knowledge, I'll be the first to admit. So what was wrong?

Originally posted by chrisakachris

I'm not saying anything along the lines of "if you didn't like it, that's fine, but don't try to ruin the fun for everyone else" - shit, that's what we do here - but really, if you go into a Star Wars movie expecting anything more than you got (which honestly wasn't as bad as it's made up to be) you're leaving in DREAMLAND, buddy, DREAMLAND!

So expecting a Star Wars movie not to bore me into a state of near-catatonia means I'm living in dreamland? Uh-huh.

I liked Star Wars 2, too. I have never seen so much more in Star Wars like some other guys who interpret every single reference to religion or mystizism. It's a bunch of very good action sci-fi movies. Far away worlds (I liked the planet Kamino, as stupid as the "whole planet one climate, whole planet one city" concept of science fiction may be), bounty hunters, sword fights, blasters, strange creatures...

The only fault is Williams' soundtrack. I have ranted about the quality of the compositions and the copy protection before and I don't feel like doing it again. Instead I'll suggest you have a peek at Jesper Kyd's "Hitman 2" soundtrack here or here or here.

Nice to see you liked the movie.

Seriously though, I actually did like it.

It's friggin Star Wars for cryin out loud! I'm not the big movie expert but at least I know better than to expect a master piece from a series that started as a budget movie script.

The Empire Strikes Back is one of the most stunningly brilliant films of all time, is it so ridiculously braindead to ask for Lucas to at least be attempting to live up to it rather than taking the cop-out "it's just a sci-fi action flick, it doesn't need to be good" excuse?

I don't want to end up in some heated "no you are!" debate about this, it was intended to be a humorous post and little more. Summarization: Star Wars - A New Hope and it's immediate successor Empire Strikes Back were two of the most startlingly original films ever, especially in the 70's when sci-fi sucked major buttcheese. Attack of the Clones rips off Meg Ryan movies for the love scenes, Highlander for the battle scenes, and fucking Blossom for the Obi-Wan/Anikan scenes.

Lucas made two reallyg reat films on a budget of nothing, and as Shutt so astutely observed, once he gets his hand on CGI it's just a lot of robots falling down.

Not that I care.

Archived