Is scripting cheating?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is scripting cheating?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all I don't script, BUT I don't care if someone uses a script or not, it doesn't make you the better player if you do.

WHO THE **** CARES IF YOU SCRIPT OR NOT, THE GAME IS MADE TO HAVE FUN!!!!!

DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THE SCRIPTERS, RATHER COMPLAIN ABOUT THOSE ANNOYING LAMERZZZ WHO ARE CALLING EVERYONE A FAG OR A N00B WHILE THEY RUIN THE GAME FOR OTHERS...

THE SCRIPTERS HAVEN'T DONE YOU ANYTHING WRONG!!!

According to the rules of the game, NO, SCRIPTING IS NOT CHEATING.

Now I suppose Scripts could (depends on the script of course) be used to EXPLOIT BUGS IN THE GAME in order to obtain an unfair advantage.

However I would say that on the whole scripting won't help you much (I say much because to know how to do those moves in the first place you generally have to be pretty good, AND if you rely on scripts too much you will get lazy and your skills will degrade). Likewise a script isn't foolproof, it has to be timed right in the right situation and can still be countered using non scripting tactics.

Finally, as any tactician will tell you, repeating the same move over and over and over again is generally a bad idea.

Now tournaments might be a good place to ban complex scripting (ie: more than one cmd of function bound to a key for gameplay) out of fairness and some mods already have the ability to ban certain commonly used scripts, I have no problem with that.

I don't use scripts, but I think if the dev team had considered them cheating and wanted to remove them they had ample opportunity from JK2 1.02 to JA 1.01 and yet they have done nothing to remove the ability to script.

It is my opinion that scripting is not cheating, and that saying that it is is rather foolish. I don't use scripts myself (other than a background music selecter), but if it's in the game, everyone has access to it, almost everyone who plays longer that 10mins knows that the capability is there, then why would it be considered "cheating"?

I personally don't find scripting very useful except for a few specific purposes like changing background music/model etc while in game without navigating menus or messing with the console. Using it to do specials are too inaccurate to be of much help. Why should I bother with it if I can already pull off the same move easily without scripting?

Exploits are a different thing from scripting, although some use it. That may safely be considered cheating, and I fully oppose using exploits in any way to get an advantage over someone else.

Besides, arguing over something that will not ever be changed anyway is rather pointless. :rolleyes:

There will be scripters, there will be non-scripters, and there will be complainers. Your choice is which one will you be. Hopefully everyone here will make a reasonable decision.

I didn't actually write the script - I'm too lazy. ;) So I made a program that generates one. Check it out in my sig; it's MCM 1.09.

If you just want the script, put this in your /base folder, then when in game, type exec mcm.cfg into the console. The keys it's currently bound to are "u" and "o", but if you want to change that open the mcm.cfg file up and you can easily rebind it.

Archived