Home

Scripting Is Cheating?

scorch_

Is scripting cheating?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is scripting cheating?

• Yes
    • No

I have noticed that people are debating whether scripting moves is cheating or not...

Some widely used arguements are

"anyone can run a script to do the moves therefore it's not cheating"

That is true anyone can use a script, however, anyone can also use a hack, does that mean that hacks are not cheating?

Cheat is defined as

"To violate rules deliberately, as in a game:"

As there are no rules as to whether or not scripting is allowed then it is not cheating. But at the same time, no one has a set of rules to say that using a hack is cheating, so why is hacking cheating? Because a majority of players feel that hacking gives an unfair advantage. This is the same as scripting. If you say binding special moves to one key is not cheating please give a good reason.

Someone also mentioned game controlers have macros attatched to one button with inbuilt software. Well this may be true but due to the difficulty in using a game controller for such a game there are barely any people who do it so it isn't really a problem.

I would love for someone to be able to logically tell me why scripting isn't cheating if that's the way they feel because it sure fits the description.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is all types of scripting, from special moves to changing Saber colours. None of which are cheating. All the moves are easy to do with some pratice. So dont worry about scripters, worry about people out there that train and are good at playing the game.

People who cry "SCRIPT!" are usually one of two things:

Someone who is unable to cope with defeat.

Someone who has no clue as to the game play mechanics and in turn thinks everything other than flailing around in heavy stance with Absorb on is a script/lame/gay/no honor type of scenario.

*Cough* most Vulcan Admin mod server clans...

Ok.........

About the comment on game controllers. I have a Nostromo N50 gamepad. This is not a standard gamepad but one that looks like a keyboard with a d-pad attached (you can see one at the belkin site).

Anyway it took me about 1 minutes to use the macro software to make a single key that will yellow and red special as well as kick. It took 1 more minute to make a backstab key and a lunge key.

These programs are quite advanced and VERY easy to use. The days of the "wingman" type of programable controller are over.

No I use only one of the keys I programed and it is just a plan doublejump key for a kick. I use this if I am in a server with a bunch of kick whores doing the "pull kick". The move is not a problem, but my key is the solution.

Scripts can be done in so many ways and the discussion of them takes up WAY too much of this forum. I say just play the game and do not worry over who has what move scripted or not. Its a waste of time and energy.

Scripting (in my tiny humble opinion) is not cheating. If EVERYONE is allowed (and they are) then it is not cheater cheatin.

If you do not know how to script, you are not being cheated, you are cheating yourself.

Homosexual Ewok says, More fun than the Olson twins and a bottle of Wild Turkey!

That actually would be fun.

Scripting is cheating as far as I'm concerned. I play on 1.03 CTF servers and 95% of the time I'm the top scorer, due to both offense and defense. It's not that I can't hold my own against scripters, but it's frustrating when I actually work to play and they do it all at the click of a button. But just because I can beat the scripters doesn't mean the rest of my team can.

Originally posted by LilDrumLad

Scripting is cheating as far as I'm concerned. I play on 1.03 CTF servers and 95% of the time I'm the top scorer, due to both offense and defense. It's not that I can't hold my own against scripters, but it's frustrating when I actually work to play and they do it all at the click of a button. But just because I can beat the scripters doesn't mean the rest of my team can.

I'm assuming 1.03 sabs here, since guns scripts are nowhere near as effective. Here's the tip: In sabs you don't need to attack or even fight in order to win CTF, if you can out-run the opponent you should always win.

hehe outrun!

Saber only CTF is about outrunning, its about living long enough to score once you get back to your base.

Heres what happens...

You take flag

Run like hell, showing off you l33t strafe jumping.

arrive at your base

wait for your flag to be returned

While you wait the other team sends half of there team in a large blood frenzied group.

Now he mentioned 1.03 so that mean you run around with aborb on fighting for your life or......

You give up trying to drain anyone and end up being pulled and backstabbed.

Scripts won't save you. Running like a Jesus Lizard only prolongs your suffering. A flag carrier in saber only CTF is nothing if his teams attackers suck.

In my opinion scripting is cheating. I've had many discussions over whether it is or not. I saw mentioned in this thread that some people say well, "Anyone can do it",that may be true,but I would like to have a better argument than that before I agree that it is not cheating.

Well, I really don't need anyone's advice on how to play CTF. I don't mean that in a prideful or "I'm the best" sort of way, I'm just saying I can hold my own quite well. I play with sabers and guns, and the majority of time I prefer my saber. Most of my kills are done with the saber. The reason I like 1.03 is because it's the only possible way to get a kill in CTF using the saber. Yeah, you have to do the silly push/pull routine, but there just isn't any other way for the saber to be effective. And it's certainly not gonna do anything in other patches.

That's the sole reason I hate scripting, is because it at least takes some timing and aim to take out people quickly with the saber otherwise.

All I hear here is jeliousy. If you hate people becuase they script, then why don't you make the same script instead of saying it's cheating. The end result of xx move is the same scripted or not. The case at hand appears to be that you don't like others making their gameplay more *efficient* rather then doing things all manual.

In a game of fighting and combat, you want to take advantage of every opportunity the game gives you, such as binding moves.

I hear the agrument that anyone can download a hack therefore it's not cheating.

The defination of cheating is: To violate rules deliberately, as in a game

The game rules is the physics and client. Scripting is built in the client and is not disabled over multiplayer therefore it is not a cheat. However if you download a hack that deliberately modifies the game mechanics such as physics then you are cheating.

Just becuase there are no rules written down does not mean anything goes with regards to hacking the client.

This argument goes along the same lines as geneticly engineered food vs natural food.

So please stop complaining about the scripters and just write some yourself. Scripting doesnt make you win. Skill makes you win.

FACT: most combat scripts dont help you fight, infact, most of them hinders the way you fight as it gives you less control and can not be stopped once executed.

FACT: the only useful combat script that gives an advantage is the sabrelock breaker script, ie bind x "+attack; -attack". However this only involves a narrow facet of the game.

If you are a new player and playing a group of first-timers who can not yet press 2 or 3 keys together fluently, then yes, scripting does give the scripter an unfair advantage. In such cases and when using the sabrelock breaker mentioned above, where an actual ADVANTAGE is achieved by using scripts, then yes, it gives an unfair advantage, and yes there is a basis for claiming it is cheating. But in most cases, especially playing with experienced fighters, scripting does not give any advantage at all.

There is an intrinsic misconception in gaimg that there a some super script, that will make the user pull off freakish moves and win every time. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE. NO such script exists, will exist and can exist.

Btw, this is only about combat scripts. Claiming the other scripts is cheating is even more ridiculous. Also note that by default, each key is already bound to a simple script.

Scripting may not be cheating but its damn lame, I played with a guy who used a kick script and it was impossible to beat him. I mean he could kick you from distance like hell and it was like he used some sort of speed all the time. He could kick from any angles and from any distance and he didnt miss a single kick.

kick scripters

a scripted kick is no where as effective as a person who actually spent time mastering the kick.

A scripted kick may be performed in quick time, jumping barely off the ground, but you can not vary the range of a scripted kick without editing the script in-game(most cases, there'll b no time 2 achieve this). A scripted kick will perform the same kick every time, NO VARIATIONS.

Most kick scripts are in the form mentioned above, 2 quick succession of jumps. In these cases, there are no way to perform longrange kicks by using this script. Of course one can try script a kick for that long distance, BUT, then that person can only perform that scripted kick if the distance and the position of opposition is EXACTLY right, making this type of script unfeasible in fights.

In all the cases, where your opponent is nailing you with kicks from everywhere, every angle and distance, he/she is not using a script. He/she has spent time and effort practicing and mastering kicks, and to put is abruptly, is better than you are

There are kick scripters however, these are NOT the best kickers, and can be beaten relatively easily as their strategy is monotonious and lack the depth achieved by actually practicing and leaning. You can tell these scripters apart as they always do a quick flip kick without even seeming to leap from the ground, everytime. they can also flip kick of the smallest inclinations like stairs. It must be noted that by scripting kicks, the scripters does not have an unfair advantage, infact, they have a disadvantage in being not understanding the nature of the kick.

As you can see, by scripting a kick is only an option in trying to "master" the kick, a idiotic option at that. It does not achieve an unfair advantage, and is actually detrimental to his/her overall gameplay. If you think it is cheating, then ok. But if this is the case, then they are stupidly cheating to be in a postion wose than before.

Uhm.... he was using a script, cause no mattr how he stod (ie. with his side against me) he did an ordinary kick and he could kick from almost any range. And about that he wouldnt have time, well he was in spectator mode in like 10mins. And what if he had 2diffrent script kick so that he could both use long range and short range? I stick with that the most scripts that change something in combat are lame and gives an advantage.

you don't understand... the distance between you and your opponent is a variable that in a script would be determined by a number of waits placed between the two jumps. To kick from 10 different distances (even if it only varies by a small margin) you would require 10 different scripts with 10 different number of waits. To kick from anywhere, you'll need over 30 different scripts. The only way to implement this would be to scroll through the different scripts using 3 keys 2 for direction, 1 for execute, much like setup scripts. THis is so impractical however, that there would be absolutely no point in doing it.

In my opinion scripting isn't cheating. It is doubtfully useful in the first place.

As the homicidal egg pointed out, kick scripting is quite useless against somebody that knows how to kick. It is actually a detriment.

Saber-lock scripting is useful, but anyone with fast fingers can hold their own against one anyway. If it bothers you just script it as well... or just use the in game config menu to make your mouse wheel a second attack button and scroll away. it is a VERY simple script in the first place, and I doubt one can say a better allocation of a key such as the mouse wheel is cheating. Saber locks may look good but are ultimately annoying anyway.

Probably the only mildly useful script I saw was a red-stance lunge script. But even the utility of that is debateable.

All the pull+whatever scripts are utterly useless, as was pointed out earlier they cant be stopped once launched, which means you are most likely going to die if facing anyone that isnt clueless.

so scripts, is it cheating? no. a good way to piss off the untalented? yes. a good way to get killed by a good player? definitely.

well if he's kicking you from all directions then he's not scripting since strafe kicks is only one push and knockdowns more. if he uses speed then u can pull kick him easier than he can kick you since he has speed on. so pretty much strafe kicking is also one button like a kick script for forward kick

I just have a question, last week i was playing on a server that was runing base jk2, I saw some guy turning his saber on and off and with his saber off e got near me and i started to loose energy, I checkd if there was some one with trick near me but there was no one. I just want to know if some of you guys has ever seen this.

1. homicidalegg - THANK YOU! I've been trying to beat that very same point into idiots for MONTHS!!! REALLY GOOD KICKERS AREN'T SCRIPTING! I use pull kick all the time and let me tell you I don't script. I do however have jump on a different key to make double tapping a hell of a lot easier. Well, it's not on a key at all actually, it's on MOUSE2. I try to tell people this when they start flaming and crying about a script. They say "well then what's you're alt fire?" And I say MOUSE5. They're like MOUSE5? And I just have to laugh and tell them I have a 5 button MS Intellipoint mouse. With pull bound to a key very close to my directional keys, it's not hard to tap pull then double tap jump with ease. And on bridges with a little flick of the wrist it's easy to punt peeps right off. Then the "kick lamer", "kick whore", etc etc comes. I'm so glad someone else finally voiced this aside of me.

2. Nemesis - there's a bug in the basejk2 that is an "invisible saber". I'm not going to tell you how it's done here, and don't PM me trying to get how to do it either. It's lame and the less people that know about it the better. However there is a fix out to it now if people want to use the xMod that also has a blocking system for map exploits such as the invisible ledges on yavin and the roofs on streets.

3. Reborn Outcast - as long as you're having fun what does it matter?

I feel sorry for anyone who can't do the easy moves in the game naturally and have to script. Please don't tell me you use scripts for increased speed either as I ran tests with some mates and natural skill is faster than any script available.

Archived