Is scripting cheating?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is scripting cheating?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kynes yes I am and no I didn't get a chance to play Break_df before he pulled out of the ladder. He got a raw deal. TWL gave him a llama saying he didn't respond to a challenge when he was #1 and somehow instead of dropping him to #2 they dropped him to #13 and I was already in the top 10. Then he dropped off the ladder so I didn't get a chance to. I've got a match tomorrow for the #2 spot with Trunks at 9pm EST.

Originally posted by FK|FallenOne

Kynes yes I am and no I didn't get a chance to play Break_df before he pulled out of the ladder. He got a raw deal. TWL gave him a llama saying he didn't respond to a challenge when he was #1 and somehow instead of dropping him to #2 they dropped him to #13 and I was already in the top 10. Then he dropped off the ladder so I didn't get a chance to. I've got a match tomorrow for the #2 spot with Trunks at 9pm EST.

Before your match with Mal you played me (Sanguis Frater | Unnamed) in our server (you played SF-Swift also).

We both put you down pretty easy.

Both of us could take Mal 20-0.

You took him 10-9.

Having played pretty much every "Elite" FF duelist in this game (except for a few from 1.02 when I never played FF duels) I think I can judge ability and strategy pretty well.

No offense, but you would not have lasted 30 seconds against dF.

I'm not trying to insult you or anything, I have respect for both you and the ability of the members of your clan, so don't take the above the wrong way, it's just most people really have no idea how hard this guy was/is to beat.

Uh I never said I could beat him or anything of the sort so why even make a statement like that?

Also it's FF, and when I played on SF that day, not one of you actually swung the saber. It was all who could get the pull-kick-throw combo off first and then the throw-pull exploit.

If you're not talking trash or attempting to, why say anything at all? Especially when I'm more of a team player then a 1v1 guy. I'm just in the 1v1 ladders for fun. Guess we'll see how good SF is when they challenge us on the TDM Sabers ladder won't we. When all that exploiting isn't gonna help so much. Or you guys can sign up for the upcoming sabers ctf league on JOLeague. My clan isn't a duel clan, so more than likely with that style you all use, 1 on 1 duels you'll win more of, but scrim us in a team game and I guarantee it'll be a different story.

Originally posted by N3mesis

I just have a question, last week i was playing on a server that was runing base jk2, I saw some guy turning his saber on and off and with his saber off e got near me and i started to loose energy, I checkd if there was some one with trick near me but there was no one. I just want to know if some of you guys has ever seen this.

Yes that is a bug.

Originally posted by MysticSpade

ok i personally hate scripters. but it's not cheating cuz anyone can do it. but IMO it's looked down upon in this community. or at least in my book it is.

Just because anyone can do it doesnt mean its not cheating, anyone can cheat. I dont think that scripting is cheating but just because everyone can do it it doesnt mean it isnt.

Originally posted by thehomicidalegg

you don't understand... the distance between you and your opponent is a variable that in a script would be determined by a number of waits placed between the two jumps. To kick from 10 different distances (even if it only varies by a small margin) you would require 10 different scripts with 10 different number of waits. To kick from anywhere, you'll need over 30 different scripts. The only way to implement this would be to scroll through the different scripts using 3 keys 2 for direction, 1 for execute, much like setup scripts. THis is so impractical however, that there would be absolutely no point in doing it.

Ok I understand thx for explaining how it works :)

1. homicidalegg - THANK YOU! I've been trying to beat that very same point into idiots for MONTHS!!! REALLY GOOD KICKERS AREN'T SCRIPTING! I use pull kick all the time and let me tell you I don't script. I do however have jump on a different key to make double tapping a hell of a lot easier. Well, it's not on a key at all actually, it's on MOUSE2. I try to tell people this when they start flaming and crying about a script. They say "well then what's you're alt fire?" And I say MOUSE5. They're like MOUSE5? And I just have to laugh and tell them I have a 5 button MS Intellipoint mouse. With pull bound to a key very close to my directional keys, it's not hard to tap pull then double tap jump with ease. And on bridges with a little flick of the wrist it's easy to punt peeps right off. Then the "kick lamer", "kick whore", etc etc comes. I'm so glad someone else finally voiced this aside of me.

Fallen, you are one of the most idiotic players I´ve ever played! You just likes to brag about how good you are :rolleyes:

Oh yeah? You've played me? ROFLMFAO. Funny how I don't recognize your name at all. Squater. Hmmmm...let me check our server logs real quick.....hmmmmm......nope, no SQUATER has ever been on it. Why don't you tell me who you are in-game if you're going to start a flame war you little pissant. And then I can atleast counter your false claims with facts. And if anyone wants to see how good of a kicker I am, I just finished my first JK2 video, just looking for a place to upload it to. If you want to see "how good of a kicker" I am come to irc.gamesnet.net #FallenKnights and I'll DCC it to you (broadbander's only).

As for you Squater, instead of talking sh*t like the @$$clown you obviously are why don't you post proof of your lame statements. Or did I kick your head in one too many times and you're just bitter?

And seeing that you're in SWEDEN and I'm in the US, why don't you drag your @$$ to our server. IP: 66.150.29.215:27982 where I get a ping of 35 instead of going on how I played on a server where my ping was 200. Cause I damn sure bet it was on a European server that you're garnering those lame remarks from. Anyone who's ever played on our server knows I'm a pretty good kicker. Either come on our server and prove your point, or stfu and retract your asinine statement.

Oh forget I didnt use this name, My name was Eek Kyth at the time and it was on your server.

Edit: Im not intending to start a flame war. I admit your a good kicker, but your not as good as I´ve heard you bragging about :rolleyes: but Im gonna edit what I said about your kicking since you didnt say something about it in the post.

And you also fail to mention Eek that you couldn't kill this "not so great" kicker, yet I killed you a multitude of times. Now that I know your name. I wasn't putting ANYONE down at all, and you have to come on and run your mouth. I'm glad you rescinded what you said, but why say it in the first place? Especially after now I know who you are and we BOTH KNOW that you yourself have gotten my boot in your teeth several times.

I've thought about this one a good bit since I learned Jedi Outcast allowed for scripting. On the one side, scripting allows the player to execute a possibly extremely complex maneuver, which could not be accomplished by sufficient hand coordination. It also enables certain seedier commands to be binded to a key, which exploit engine bugs. This may give an undue advantage to the scripter, perhaps one that cannot be emulated with mastery of single action key combinations. Even the more mundane scripts, like a victory or taunt script, can give the user an unfair advantage style wise.

On the other hand, scripting is supported by the game engine, and is not forbidden by the rules (per se). It can be viewed merely as a tool to increase the efficiency of the user. Most of the scripted actions can be reproduced with intelligent key mapping, and those that can't can be emulated quite easily by the opposition. Scripting is not a difficult proposition to master, since it involves straight-forward console commands that can be easily learned and memorized. Furthermore, scripting does not seem to be a cheat, a posit which I will extrapolate on later.

Reviewing all of the information presented to me by the various discussions, documents, and commands, I have come to the tentative conclusion that scripting does not yield an undue advantage to the user, so long as it does not exploit an uncorrected engine flaw. In my opinion, scripting is merely a higher level extension of simple script key commands. At its root, scripting is basically the same as the graphical protocol inserted by Raven that allows you to bind actions to keys. It is simply more powerful, allowing multiple commands to be binded to one key and carried out simultaneously. I assume that most, if not all, Jedi Knight II players modify the default commands to their liking. Using the graphical screen to change key settings is the same thing as scripting, just scripting one command to one key. Therefore, anyone who changes the default key settings is a scripter; they are guilty of the crime they claim to denounce.

Bind several actions to one allows the person to have a more efficient setup. They can execute the same commands as everyone else, just in a way that's easier for them. The same premise governs scripting as does changing the default key map. This allows the gameplay to come down to skill and tactics, not to whoever has the best hand coordination and key settings. In fact, I believe that scripting should be looked at the same as changing the default key settings; neutrally. It does not influence skill, and is a detriment in the hands of the unskilled player.

Now, as for the statement I made concerning the classification of scripts as cheats. To help in my argument, let's examine the definition of a cheat. A cheat is a method, tool, entity, or device that directly and intentionally violates the rules governing a game, in this case Jedi Knight II. I'm sure everyone will agree that the rules of Jedi Knight II are the protocols established by the default, unmodified game engine (or predefined by the controller of the game before the game starts, if they want to ban a particular action). One special exception is a publicly acknowledged flaw in the game engine, in which case usage of the bug will be considered cheating. In the case of mod usage, the default rules prescribed by the mod in concert with the game engine protocols decide the rules. Agreed?

Hacks are cheats, because they modify the game engine to a standard unagreed upon by the participants. In order for a game to be fair, everyone must use the same engine (modified or unmodified), unless they consent to having an inferior / different engine (in which case all participants must agree). Scripting is not a cheat, since the default game engine allows it (and makes it easy to do). Not only can all participants script equally, they need not modify the game engine to accomplish it. The stock game can handle scripting, and does not forbid it. Scripting is only a cheat if the controller of the game makes it a cheat.

Having said all of this, I strong discourage anyone from using scripting to manipulate engine flaws, which I consider to be cheating (as they lie outside of the established engine protocol (governed by the intentions of the designers)). I also submit that, should the developers of the game publicly state that scripting is an engine flaw, or should it be removed, I will rescind my statements and classify scripting along with hacking and other cheats.

Good day. :)

Squater is a very good CTF'er and saberist.

FallenOne keeps running and killing himself :rolleyes: Heh :p

I think learning to improve on sabering is more important than kicking. Anyway, Dwarf normally owns at kicking. :D

Ah, I should go on gamesdomain more often :)

Damn framerate :(

Anyway, I don't mind if people, with some JK2 gaming skill, use scripts just as an alternative, but it does seem unfair to some players.

Some scripts just kill the game like cheats though :\

Non-scripters should be able to defeat scripters.

LoL. I wasn't your primary target, on sabers only CTF, when 75% of the time I have your flag, lol ok...join our server later when it fills up and I'll demo it, just be sure you're on the other team so I can kick ya to death.

I would come if I fellt I had to prove anything (wich I dont think I need to), I admit you may be better at kicking at me. Anyway no I wont come, and that not because Im afraid its just that I dont feel for it. Can you let it be now? I wont say anything more.

LMAO. Why won't you come then? You used to...perhaps you got tired of getting worked.

And again another euro says something about me on a euro server. Come to the states and see who's a better kicker. Yet, ask Dwarf himself. He'll tell you straight up. he and I play together all the time, hell we did earlier today on gamesdomain. And you won't see me there regularly because that server's crap. Lags every other second for those even in euro. Yet I still led my team, which dwarf was on, in caps/score both games.

Want scores? Go t our site. http://www.fallenknightsclan.com

enter the jk2 div

go to screenshot gallery, look at clan wars and pubs

And anyone who's highspeed wants actual footage join our IRC channel and I'll send you my JK2 vid I just finished. You can judge for yourself. Or you can come on our server later and find out that way. LoL. Funny how people run there mouths about another player and then when they're challenged on it, they oh so quickly back out.

LMAO, I said I wouldnt come since I have no reason to, omg you were leading your team. WOW thats so damn special!!!!!! I said I wouldnt say anything more but you are just beeing such a **! And I can tell you why you were leading your team: Because your jumpin around in your base with the flag so some kicks from time 2 time wait untill your team get the flag back and scores, now wow thats really *fantastic*. I got absolutely no reason to accept your little challenge! And dont think Im afraid that you would record and show the world *I am the greatest KICKER of all time* since thats what you apparently think of yourself!

I never said I was the greatest kicker of all time, however YOU did decide to talk crap for no reason, and now when it's coming back at you, you can't take it, can't accept a simple challenge. If you're going to run your mouth, accept the challenge, or DONT SAY ANYTHING! How hard is that? If you're ready to flame, back it up. You talk the talk, but hell, you aren't anywhere near close to walking the walk. Now stfu and go away.

I have no idea how scripting works with sabers, but with the game as a whole I don't see a problem with it. You don't gain a complete advantage by using a script you simply preform an action in the game with a simple task which can be mimicked without a script easily. Complaining about it is similar to complaining about the control scheme someone uses. It's not something that gives the user a distinct advantage it just makes things easier. I don't use scripts myself because I'm afraid they would **** up my gameplay (yeah little things can throw me off balance) but I do understand the place and use for scripts in games. Take it from a CTF veteran that's gone 9-1 scripts don't matter.

Uh I never said I could beat him or anything of the sort so why even make a statement like that?

Also it's FF, and when I played on SF that day, not one of you actually swung the saber. It was all who could get the pull-kick-throw combo off first and then the throw-pull exploit.

If you're not talking trash or attempting to, why say anything at all? Especially when I'm more of a team player then a 1v1 guy. I'm just in the 1v1 ladders for fun. Guess we'll see how good SF is when they challenge us on the TDM Sabers ladder won't we. When all that exploiting isn't gonna help so much. Or you guys can sign up for the upcoming sabers ctf league on JOLeague. My clan isn't a duel clan, so more than likely with that style you all use, 1 on 1 duels you'll win more of, but scrim us in a team game and I guarantee it'll be a different story.

Hehe it wasn't trash talking guy, but I would be more than happy to hop on over to the TWL 1v1 ladder and hand you a 10-0.

;)

That was a joke, don't get frisky.

And BTW, good luck to you and your guys w/ the FotS match.

Archived