Home

I'm new, fustrated, and here is my take.

531_Seawolf

Nice forum you guys have here, lots of good info. I did learn something usefull though and that's the things I see in multiplayer that look like cheats or hacks are actually just scripts. My problem is I know nothing about binding these scripts to keyboard commands nor do i use a gamepad which allows keyboard commands to be assigned. Basically I am just a guy that happened to pick up this game one day and thought it was pretty cool and a lot of fun. My problem is I enjoy multiplayer, but I am unable to compete online with just a keyboard and mouse. I try to stay in games and even though I get killed over and over I try to tuff it out and play in hopes that it will make me better some how. After reading about all the scripting that you have to do in order to win I have come to the conclusion that I am fighting an uphill battle online. I even went through the single player campaign a 2nd time to make myself feel better. LOL

I know a lot of you will say "Well, you have to script to compete, so if you want to win, learn to script."

My problem is I don't really want to learn how to script. lol I just want to startup the game get online and play.

I see people doing all kinds of wierd stuff in games and I find myself just avoiding them and finding another new guy to fight against. LOL I guess one day I will have to learn this scripting thing, but i just wish it was easier. Yeah, I know for you scripting guys I'm sure it is easy for you, but some of us don't find it easy at all. Plus I could sit there all night binding scripts, or i could use that same time to play.

Nothing more fustrating than being in a CTF and trying to guard the flag and watch a guy seem to just jump from point to point across the map and have no way to catch him. Something with how you jump while having force speed on that makes people just seem to float all the way across the map. Maybe i will figure this thing out one day.

Sorry for my rant, but just a fustrated noob here. :)

dude i felt like that a few months ago, but believe me, none of these so called moves are scripts (in most cases!), it does take a while to get very competent at the game, and every move has a counter, every force power can be countered too. :)

if you want any specific help, then reply here, ill help you out, i am in no way the best, but i will certainly help you as much as i can.

In CTF when they are flying across the screen all that is is Strafe jumping, (hitting your strafe left or strafe right key before you jump) This make you do a bunny hop and speeds you up, if done correctly and with a full jump you can make it completly across NS Streets (warring factions) about 4 jumps depending on your route. just move side to side when you jump and just tap the jump key and after you do it sucessfully a couple time youll under stand it better and be able to master it in no time. Dont worry about not being that good yet, you dont need scripts you just need to play the game for a while to figure out all the moves and which ones work best against specific moves. Scripting wont make YOU better it will only improve your gameplay slightly untill someone learns to counter you so dont worry about that and practice so you can dish the whooping to the scripters like they deserve ;)

I play LOTS of online games and I am always very good at them. From Quake to Halflife to RTCW I always was one of the top contenders whenever I played.

But then I hit JK2 and I found out that my skills in this game were lacking. It took me close to three months to work out the different force powers and a keyboard setup that would help me to use my powers to there advantage. In fact I even went out and got the best JK2 tool you could have a Nostromo N50 speedpad from belkin. With this I was finall able to compete online.

All I can say is practice makes perfect. I now love the game so much I run a server for it everynight! Right now I run a serverside adminmod. If you would like to practice with some nice guys come and visit me at Crazy Yoda. Ask for Darth Maximus. I am up from 8pm til 3am Florida time. Good luck....and do not give up yet!

Thanks you guys for all the advice, I play quite a bit and have gotten hooked on JKII so far. As far as CTF goes the only thing I'm good for right now is just getting in the way.lol Even using absorb I get pulled off the ledge, pushed by someone I cant see, choked to death, Kicked in the face, Sliced by some dude in red stance, etc. Every now and then I find a server with people who are as new as I am and I sometimes get a good run going and get into the lead spot as far as score, so I know I'm getting better. It's when I get into these clan servers i find out how bad i really am. lol The idea about the gamepad deal sounds like it would help me out and I have thought about getting one, but I'm not really into quake or unreal, I am more of a Operation Flashpoint/Ghost Recon type. I think what's slowing me down is the fact that I only use a few keys on the keyboard for movement and use my mouse for attack and switching between forces. I think the problem is I use the scroll wheel on the mouse to cycle through the different forces to use and then have a side button setup to actually use the force selected so when I select absorb I then have to scroll to find another force such as push or speed and while I'm looking for another force to use I get wacked. Being able to just hit a button to use a specific force instead of scrolling to find one would help a lot. Like I said I'm not big into shooters, I just like the saber and forces plus the whole Sta Wars theme draws me to it as well. Perhaps I will have to go out and pick up one of these speed pads if i want to get good at this.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I've been playing since day of release and I even played JK1 pretty much from the start. I use the same key setup for both games (don't ask me why its just want came naturally after playing JK) I hear a lot of people use ASWD or sumthing for movement because it means they have a lot of other buttons nearby. If you spent time on this I can see it being quite effective. But, the same as any first person shooter people jsut use arrow keys and mouse. I stillreckon this is the best way. As for scrolling through force powers, STOP RIGHT NOW. If you use arrow keys then bind all the force powers to the numberpad, having 1 and 2 as push and pull cos they're close.

Theres not a lot you can do about kick whores. Either go to a no force server or one where excessive kicking is dissallowed. Or just learn to kick faster than everyone else. I reckon kick should be nerfed :) the damge it does is stoopid, plus theres pretty much no risk involved in kicking, almost zero recovery time, you can chain it with moves (thats a good thing though) uses no force and is unblockable. For any modders out there, please put the damage down, and up the damge on sabers.

the best thing to do would probably to get a new button configuration. i know alot of people use wasd but i find that inefficient. instead i use uhjk. this gives me even more buttons around my movement keys to use. honestly i play using 35 keys which all do a different function. only 1 of those keys is a scroll key (scroll backwards through weapons). this way you are able to execute commands quickly and efficiently. try playing on places like barry's world or othe public servers. clan servers are most definitely not the place for you right now. good luck.

There is something you can do. Kick will NOT knock you down when you're using red stance, and make sure that at any given time for them to kick you would mean going through a red swing. If you're not swinging, roll around. When fighting use combos to make sure you can chain swings and thus damage them with swings more than they damage you with kicks.

First off Seawolf I must agree with Bilbo, you probably dont suck, your just like I was, I came from games like ghost recon, delta force, CS and games like it. Jumping from a first person shooter to a third person melee combat game is a very very big jump, I'm gonna post my key setup here for you, although you probably wont like it, it works extremely well for me, and after 1 week of using it you wont have to look at the keyboard anymore, you will be able to use the notch on the 5 key to quickly map your force powers. Ok first off i have the arrow keys bound for movement so that I can very quickly find them if i need to move fast, now to the right of the arrows is the keypad, i have the (0 Ins) key bound to Absorb, then I have the (1 End) key bound to Force Drain, then I have they (4 leftarrow) key bound to Force Pull, (7 Home) key is bound to Force Heal, (2 downarrow) key bound to Force Push, (3 Pg Dn) key bound to Force Protect, (5) key bound to force grip, now thats it for the keypad, if you look up above the arrow keys there should be 9 keys on a standard keyboard, 12 on others, now in that set of keys I have (Home) bound to Mind Control, (Page Up) bound to Team Energize, (Page Down) bound to Team Heal. Thats it for my key binds, as far as my mouse goes i have (Mouse1) Attack, (Mouse2) Secondary Attack, (Mouse3, for me Mouse3 is executed by pushing the mousewheel down until it clicks) Lightsaber on/off, (Mousewheel Up) Next Weapon, (Mousewheel Down) Change Saber Stance.

Ok thats that, to sum it up real fast, remember, all of these keys are either on the keypad (to the right of they arrow keys) or on the what i like to call, "Miniature Keypad" (above the arrow keys

Arrows-move

0 Absorb, 1 Drain, 4 Pull, 7 Heal, 2 Push, 5 Grip,

3 Protect

Home-Mind Control, Page Up-Team Energize, Page Down-Team Heal

Now to Tvuk - "There is something you can do. Kick will NOT knock you down when you're using red stance, and make sure that at any given time for them to kick you would mean going through a red swing. If you're not swinging, roll around. When fighting use combos to make sure you can chain swings and thus damage them with swings more than they damage you with kicks."

This statement is not true, I have been kicked down in red stance several times, and red stance is NOT a good counter for someone who is kicking you head on, because its so slow, if they have ping under 150 they will easily dodge your attack and sidekick you when you are recovering, the best counter for kick IMHO would have to be lunge, simply because you cover 5-6 feet extremely quickly and suprise them, and it hits them if they try to jump over you, and if they are using scripts to kick, then the best thing to do is simply get away from them, outrun them, then if they are still following you, quickly stop, run backwards, and backstab them, since I'm on 56k I have alot of trouble with low ping kick-junkies, whenever I get into a kick fight normally on 7/10 kicks, my character starts the kick animation (does the backflip thing and runs up the other character) and about halfway through the animation I warp, either 30 feet behind the enemy because I missed him due to lag, or 10 feet behind where I was because of my lag.

this is so noobish, yeah, just blame the scripters. "oh, I REALLY suck in JK2...damn those scripters!" <- that's what you basically said.

I play using default JK2 buttons with F1-F12 bound to different names and Z, Q and V are bound to quotes, and I can stand my own against almost any opponent, clan or no clan (well, maybe not now, haven't played for a while), if you played for a month and you suck with the default keys...chances are, you'll suck with scripts or any speedpad out there because tactics don't come from buttons, they come from your mind.

Archived