Home

Heavy Defenses

Darth Kane

For a really good defense all you have to do is build shield walls around your entire base and then instead of using turrets just build fortresses filled with repeater troopers. Because they can target aircraft as well as ground units they make a formiddable defensive structre. You might want to back them up with additional anti-air turrets as they only fire one missile at a time against aircraft.:trooper: :trooper:

They will be useless rubble unless you have some units to back them up. And filling a fortress with repeaters is pretty pointless. FU turrets have more range, more attack (IIRC) and only need one FU repeater to bring them up to their full attack of 5 lasers. Still you will need a small army at least to back this up. Cannons or AC's can fire at buildings unhindered if the defender has no army.

Originally posted by simwiz2

And filling a fortress with repeaters is pretty pointless. FU turrets have more range, more attack (IIRC) and only need one FU repeater to bring them up to their full attack of 5 lasers.

Not only that, they make perfectly good AA if you stick a couple of upgraded AA troopers with them and pull them out when needed.

Kryllith

You can if you micromanage. Put a couple of AA troopers in your turret and then pull them out when necessary and put them back when you're done. Or just leave them hanging around outside it and stick them in when they get damaged. Either works well, especially if you've a shield generators close by to keep them from getting slaughters in one shot by advanced fighters. Would be nice if you could just have them fire there missiles while still in the turret, but that would defeat the whole point of AA turrets. :D

Kryllith

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, fortresses cost too little--550 ore. For something that has 7,000 hp ( i konw it can be defeated, yes.) 20 unit population, and can create essential units, i think the fortress cost too little. One of the best ways to defeat it would be a cannon, but there is a good chance the cannon could be lost by a counterattack, which cost 200 C, 200 N.

I have built extremely tough forts. I always get the ore high, i start in t1. Always build shields, and if you have time, late in the game, i would recommend a shield wall (oh no, not that ancient defense). Upgrading to shield is inexspensive, and 6,000 (given time to charge) takes a while to get down. I had an enemy army, a huge army, 10 cannons, many assualts and mech destroyers, hordes of hvy. weapons and legions of troopers. The army was made up of three diff players. They opened up the wall and though it would go simple and easy to defeat me--they sent their units in through the gap, to be cut down by FU-shielded adv. turrets. The rest of the task force was wiped out by an air-cruiser counter atttack by me.

But you cant' stay in your base and win, generally speaking. The map had no more minerals, but the enmies traded with cargos. A player holed up in a defensive base---this works best if it is 1-on-1(no cargos). Go after the minerals voraciously. There should be carbon outside of your base, just get that. You can defend yourself, while slowly building more and more units to crush the enemy.

• 3 weeks later...

why build fortresses?

yes they make unitz and they shoot both air and land but its a lot cheaper and more effective to build laser turrents w/anti air turrents next to them. this way you save ore and you get more range.

and garrisoning troopers in a turrents is rather dumb. just bring workers to them when youre really in trouble for backing up your defenses. they cant attack well normally so its good for them as theyre protected and have much more attack in the turrent. The disadvantage is you cant collect recs but keep in mind this is only for EMERGENCIES where u cant hold them off fast enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by AlliedCommander

I have built extremely tough forts. I always get the ore high, i start in t1. Always build shields

If you're collecting ore in t1, i'd kill you as soon as i hit t3...

Originally posted by AlliedCommander

and if you have time, late in the game, i would recommend a shield wall

why waste your time? walls??? you've got to be kidding...

i collect nova and ore at t1 i have about 5 workers for each of those recs and for carbon i have around ohhh lets seee 15-25 workers on carbon depending on my demand. i sometimes switch over my ore collectors to nova when ore runs out and add more nova collectors when in high demand. this is added to the fact that i send traders over for even more nova and i also get as many holocrons as i can. food workers depend on how many bantha/nerf i have in the nurseries and if there is water on the map for a shipyard.

walls are pretty pointless in t4... the only thing they'd do is slow down an attack on your buildings...

the easiest way to win is to attack your opponents economy. the best way to do that is to strike early, and building walls early is a waste of ore. you could use it to build a turret, a 2nd CC in t3, and mech factories.

walls could temporarily slow down a rush, but while you're busy collecting ore and building walls someone could be teching to t3, and could then just do a transport drop on you and then the walls becomes a waste.

It often happens when I play SW:CC, that the enemy first creates a Trooper Recruit, then attacks me with it immediately. So, he's bringing one unit at a time. But if he sends a Jedi or a Sith against me, that's a problem. But I can always handle it with some Hvy Troopers, and some Bounty Hunters.

Well, Fortresses are usefull too, because I have two words: Air Cruiser ( CC only :( ). If you reach Tech level 4, you can tear appart the enemy's base in one second with two Air Cruisers and five Adv. Fighters. But I always need more of Fighters, because Anti-Air Troopers and Mobile Anti-Air can blast them. But you're lucky if the enemy has got AA Troopers only, and not Mobile AA.

Archived