The chicken or the egg?

DiRtY $oUtH™

Which came first?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which came first?

• The Chicken
    • The Egg
    • I\'m Lost

I believe in the evolutionary process, so to me the question's irrelevant. Each generation spawned offspring that was slightly different until one day the thing we recognise as a chicken hatched from an egg. I believe it was a long, drawn-out process over many thousands of years, with minute changes in each generation. Of course, the first chicken might also have been a genetic fluke or mutation quite different from it's parentage...although that would then require that it mated with like birds in order to produce Chicken: The Next Generation.

Of course, the other possibility is that the chicken was created by man...in the same way that pigeon breeders and dog-breeders have cross-bred different species to get different characteristics in their offspring, there's nothing to say people weren't doing that thousands of years ago as well.

Anyway...I like chickens...but I couldn't eat a whole one. :)

StormHammer just convinced me to the egg side (I was in the middle.) It makes sense if you think about it. Chickens are domestic animals, I believe, which are usually tame. So it looks like his breeding thing may be right, as why would you try to kill a wild goat that's dangerous if you can kill a tame sheep for the same meat?

Ah,

The Chicken was first.

You see there likely was once some ancestors of the birds that developed the ability to give birth prematurely for life threatening situations. Slowly over time those that developed a harder shell of course were better survivors. Eventually some of these ancestors found it very convenient to lay their eggs on purpose.

Bah Bak Bak Bak

what i want to know is what was before the chicken (or what laid the egg?)

imagine the look on some poor creature's face when it's eggs hatch and a baby chick looks up. and then the dad comes home and says 'that's not mine!' then the mom gets accused of infidelity, and she's like "i swear, it wasn't me, it was evolution"

and there you have it, how evolution breaks up a happy home

Like I said, when creatures evolve, the dna mutations that are needed for this evolution happen inside the zygote cell which is housed inside the egg. Whatever creature the chicked evolved from, that process took place within an egg which it laid, therefore the egg came first.

Archived