• Age of Mythology rocks!
    • Warcraft 3 for me!
    • Both games are cool!
    • I know a better strategy game!
    • Strategy games sux0r!

Age of Mythology

Sound

Score: 8/10

The sound matches the characters almost perfecly, You'd probably expect a Mintor to have deep snorty sounds (pig/boar like) and a Colosses to talk slower with a deeper voice. Some screw ups with sound were around Norse dwarfs and sometimes a Female Villager will have a Male Villager sounds. In game music is appropirate for the game, i mean you dont expect metal or techno to be play'n while you fightin with unites from mythology.

Graphics

Score: 7/10

From a 2d engine in AOE2 to a 3d engine in AOM is a big inmprovement. Some of the cutseens look like stuff from the PS1 but thats becuas there using the same models as the game does. The intro cutseen when you start up the game was done buifly i thought. Mostly the graphics are just a great improvement from 2d.

Gameplay

Score: 8/10

Well the gameplay is basicly like the old AOE exept with myth unites and god powers. The myth unites are exelent for disrupting platoons of enemy troops and god powers work great for helping your economy or wiping out that Hillfort in the strataigic position where you troops cant get to safly. I would have to say the Greeks are the best of the 3 civilazations. Zuses is probably the best god for them, if you get the right minor god combo.

User-Friendlyness

Score: 6/10

Like i said, this game plays like the old AOE games. If you arnt familar with AOE, you might have a hard time starting off, but once you get going, your good. As for computer handling, it doesnt take the latest computer to run the game, but if your computer isnt at least a PIII it will lag up when you use a god power like Firberwinter or have a large battle.

Overall the game is one of the best RTS' ive played

I've only played WC3, and truth to be told, it didn't catch my fancy.

While WC2 was revolutionary in it's time, the sequel is not, and the gameplay is not extraordinary, although good. It's a good game, no doubt, but I have higher hopes for AOM.

Originally posted by ondrahosek

Are you talking about the Conquerors?

IT R0X0R3D FOR ITS TIME! I HAVE IT ;)!

Yea. I love that game. I still have it too. So many memories from it. I was in so many different elite clans and we had so many clan wars. I played that every spare minute. Sadly I don't have as much time to play it now as I would like.:(

Originally posted by Reborn Outcast

A question... I wanna get AOM a ton but the screenshot on the back of the box makes it seem like the graphics are crappy and boxy... is this true in the real game?

No. Screenshots in many games look bad because still pictures don't do justice for some games. Age of Mythology has good graphics and the God powers look amazing. It is what you would expect from a new rts game. They are in no way "crappy and boxy". They are not the greatest graphics but you don't need the best graphics in a rts game and the graphics are fine anyways. :)

It's hard to explain but take my word for it, AOM graphics are fine, nothing wrong with them.:)

Archived