Home

Report Promod 3.0 bugs here!

ArtifeX

How buggy has this 3.0 release been for you?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How buggy has this 3.0 release been for you?

• No bugs that I\'ve noticed. Seems rock-solid.
    • Just one or two minor things. Nothing that interferes with playing.
    • A few bugs which are kinda annoying.
    • Quite a few bugs. It\'s hard for me to play the game.
    • Tons of bugs. I can barely play the game at all.

Originally posted by TK_Nutritious

I think I've figured this one out. If your gun just got pulled and you're still holding the fire button a new weapon won't appear. For me, I'd get my gun pulled and would immediately hold secondary fire to charge up a bryar but instead no gun would appear. As soon as I let go of the button the weapon would appear.

This sounds about right to me. I imagine the logic was that such a weapon switch would be considered "unsafe" while the fire button was held down. Props to Nutrition for the sharp eye.

Bad news. Nutritious (with me spectating) just discovered a very serious bug. And it may not be possible to fix.

BUG: the jetpack's performance is directly affected by the player's framerate (FPS).

Nutri tested this out. While facing a blank wall at the edge of the map, he's able to fly to the normal fantastic heights. But if he's looking out at a view of a player-filled map, his framerate drops drastically, and his jets can barely get him off the ground. We're talking less than 10 feet here. It's enough for most evasion tactics, which is why gunners can dominate in ffa despite the bug, but it can cripple them in certain situations, especially for players with lower-end machines I imagine.

The framerate doesn't even need to be that low for the bug to severely hamper the jetpack's flying (EDIT: Nutri confirmed that the jetpack's basically useless below 23 FPS). I expect Nutritious has a decent machine considering how flawless his aim is, and he still couldn't get 10 feet off the ground while looking out over some of the larger landscapes on ns_streets and yavin. But if you want exact statistics I'm sure Nutri can provide them.

This is probably the same bug that was originally attributed to lag, causing the jetpack to malfunction. And this may partially explain how some players dominate so completely as a gunner, while others can't (though I still attribute most of this to differences in skill).

I'm sure we don't want to punish jetpackers with older computers, or force them away from crowded games. But sadly, this doesn't sound like an easy bug to fix. I'm not an expert, but it seems like it'd be a flaw in the game engine or something.

Nutritious has found ways around the bug. By looking directly up or down (at the floor or the sky) he can quickly improve his framerate and reach top jetpack heights no matter how big or crowded the map is. But considering how much he loves to snipe people while in mid-flight, this is a serious handicap... and people will undoubtedly fall off alot of cliffs and land in the wrong places if they can't look where they're going.

Anyways, I'm real sorry Art. I pray you can fix it, but it doesn't sound easy.

Originally posted by Moradivh

Bad news. Nutritious (with me spectating) just discovered a very serious bug. And it may not be possible to fix.

BUG: the jetpack's performance is directly affected by the player's framerate (FPS).

Nutri tested this out. While facing a blank wall at the edge of the map, he's able to fly to the normal fantastic heights. But if he's looking out at a view of a player-filled map, his framerate drops drastically, and his jets can barely get him off the ground. We're talking less than 10 feet here. It's enough for most evasion tactics, which is why gunners can dominate in ffa despite the bug, but it can cripple them in certain situations, especially for players with lower-end machines I imagine.

The framerate doesn't even need to be that low for the bug to severely hamper the jetpack's flying (EDIT: Nutri confirmed that the jetpack's basically useless below 23 FPS). I expect Nutritious has a decent machine considering how flawless his aim is, and he still couldn't get 10 feet off the ground while looking out over some of the larger landscapes on ns_streets and yavin. But if you want exact statistics I'm sure Nutri can provide them.

This is probably the same bug that was originally attributed to lag, causing the jetpack to malfunction. And this may partially explain how some players dominate so completely as a gunner, while others can't (though I still attribute most of this to differences in skill).

I'm sure we don't want to punish jetpackers with older computers, or force them away from crowded games. But sadly, this doesn't sound like an easy bug to fix. I'm not an expert, but it seems like it'd be a flaw in the game engine or something.

Nutritious has found ways around the bug. By looking directly up or down (at the floor or the sky) he can quickly improve his framerate and reach top jetpack heights no matter how big or crowded the map is. But considering how much he loves to snipe people while in mid-flight, this is a serious handicap... and people will undoubtedly fall off alot of cliffs and land in the wrong places if they can't look where they're going.

Anyways, I'm real sorry Art. I pray you can fix it, but it doesn't sound easy.

Yeah, this does sound like a sticky wicket. I've got some ideas on what I can mess around with to start testing though. The difficulty is resolving the client side prediction code with that of the server's master record of everything's movement and position. I think this is going to turn out to be a client-side only problem. Which should make it easier to fix.

Heheh, I've seen Nutritious snipe people while both him AND his target are flying. I've also seen him snipe jumping Jedi using Mind Trick -- this guy has enough intuition to know where you are even if you're invisible and trying to dodge.

Anyways, best of luck Art. I hope it's a simple fix.

Originally posted by Kettch

Force Push projectiles bug:

If you push projectiles back at the sender (and he becomes killed by this), the game often recognizes the kill as a suicide and not one of yours. It happens frequently

What kind of projectiles? All of them, or just certain kinds? Let me know and I'll look into it.

I am not sure about all pushable-projectiles, because its very hard to get kills with that counter-move,

but I am certain about rockets and golan's explosive balls, because I mostly f. push them back at the sender, causing them being killed by their own explosives.

jetpack users can still use the jetpack during the recovery period after being gripped, while all other players are completely immobilized for a second or so.

so as soon as you let go of the grip and the person is in 'stun' mode, they can fire the jetpack and move away. if this is intentional then jedi should be able to force-jump away dunring this time too, which is not the case. I think the grip's stun-effect is very valuable, the gunners shouldn't be able to fly away with the jetpack during the recovery/stun period which is a short time lapse anyway.

Originally posted by ksk h2o

jetpack users can still use the jetpack during the recovery period after being gripped, while all other players are completely immobilized for a second or so.

so as soon as you let go of the grip and the person is in 'stun' mode, they can fire the jetpack and move away. if this is intentional then jedi should be able to force-jump away dunring this time too, which is not the case. I think the grip's stun-effect is very valuable, the gunners shouldn't be able to fly away with the jetpack during the recovery/stun period which is a short time lapse anyway.

This is definitely on my fix list for 3.1.

Originally posted by Kettch

I am not sure about all pushable-projectiles, because its very hard to get kills with that counter-move,

but I am certain about rockets and golan's explosive balls, because I mostly f. push them back at the sender, causing them being killed by their own explosives.

I'll look into this. IMO, the shot should change ownership once pushed, which would cause it to not only credit you with the kill, but to also do full damage against the gunner rather than the lesser self-damage rate (75%).

hope I'm not boring you do death with these posts but here's another thing:

I dont know if its just me but red stance seems to kill before the saber connects. At first I thought it was due to lag, but then I noticed this particular swing kill bots on my local game before it connected as well... I gues it could be the local machines "hiccup time" but I'm not sure.

The swing I'm talking about is a read sidw swipe that starts near the head level of the swinging jedi and swipes wide and high. I've dropped dead when the saber is next to the swingers ears, before swinging to me and saw bots die in front of me before I swung at them as well.

I don's see what could have caused this and it's not like it is a huge problem, only happens ever so often. I'm thinking the ones I encoutered online should be due to lag, but why do I have it happen on the local machine? I remember my saber offence variables were tweaked with back in 1.04 and the blocking was nerfed, in order to give a little spice to the 1.04 running on my server. I think I never changed these values back to default, so maybe they are causing a similar problem on my local machine.

Anyways just thought I'd mention it, maybe others know what I'm talking about, maybe I'm alone on this one. And as I said, its quite rare so doesn't affect gameplay that much.

Originally posted by ksk h2o

hope I'm not boring you do death with these posts but here's another thing:

I dont know if its just me but red stance seems to kill before the saber connects. At first I thought it was due to lag, but then I noticed this particular swing kill bots on my local game before it connected as well... I gues it could be the local machines "hiccup time" but I'm not sure.

The swing I'm talking about is a read sidw swipe that starts near the head level of the swinging jedi and swipes wide and high. I've dropped dead when the saber is next to the swingers ears, before swinging to me and saw bots die in front of me before I swung at them as well.

I don's see what could have caused this and it's not like it is a huge problem, only happens ever so often. I'm thinking the ones I encoutered online should be due to lag, but why do I have it happen on the local machine? I remember my saber offence variables were tweaked with back in 1.04 and the blocking was nerfed, in order to give a little spice to the 1.04 running on my server. I think I never changed these values back to default, so maybe they are causing a similar problem on my local machine.

Anyways just thought I'd mention it, maybe others know what I'm talking about, maybe I'm alone on this one. And as I said, its quite rare so doesn't affect gameplay that much.

My guess is that it has something to do with how close you are to your target. the saber bounding box is a big rectangle that's significantly larger than the saber blade itself. This was done for a number of reasons; I won't go into them. Try standing at the longest reach of your saber and see if you can reproduce that. I'd say you probably wouldn't be able to, but when you get really close you'll start seeing it happen more often.

• 8 years later...

I am unable to attain level 4 in ANY weapons skill, because Force Jump, Saber Attack, and Saber Defense are all automatically "Rank 1" with 0 points. Will this bug be fixed? Its really annoying; I can't use the Jetpack or any Level 4 weapons/gadgets. Please help; if I can fix this on my own, let me know! If not, please fix this bug.

I highly doubt it will be fixed as I haven't even heard anyone talk about promod in several years. Havent seen ArtifeX around either. I don't recall having this bug when I played it, did you right click on them to remove points? It may have been you have to fill them all the way up, and then one more left click empties them. I don't recall, haven't messed with it in years.

Archived