Home

Official SWGB 2 GB.com Thread

Guest DarthMaulUK

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the "no rush" option. If they were so inclined, a good player can beat a newb just as easily in 40 minutes as they can in 10, and it is just as painful to the learning player. Also, the option doesnt promote growth amongst community, and will make eternal noobs. Sorta what scenerios are doing to the current game.

Twisted Joker, many of the people here play RM and DM online, and most are fairly good players, myself included. And it seems that it is the RM players who are calling for a new engine.

I don't think limiting rushing is a good thing. Some players like to play like that, and they should be allowed to. Everyone is a newbie at some stage, and I've never heard of a person turning away from a game because experienced players rush them. And if they did, which game did they turn to? I don't know any games that discourage rushing.

And just out of interest, which engine did Jedi Outcast use? I don't play FPS unless they're Star Wars, so I don't know.

Sorry to get back to the movies, but I'd just like to say I'm surprised at the number of so-called Star Wars fans who don't like the prequel movies. Yes, they are different. Would you really want exactly the same movies again? And name one contradictory thing... there is nothing.

Anyway, as DMUK says this isn't the place but I'd be happy to discuss this elsewhere.

Yes, graphic-wise i m not as demanding as most gamers. I don't live in a metropolis (i doubt you do either) things seem to go slow here. GB doesn't zoom in or the Gungan troopers don't exactly jump out of the screen, but think of a card game. They are popular though they rely only on strategy for their existence. GB's building are detailed to me, and i don't even view it as 2d. It's all in the genius strategy and balance involved. Liking the graphics helps.Age of empires 1 is not my standard--Gb is.

But of all the games i've played, none of them (and i have played some good-graphic games) have had near as much replay ability as GB (AoE 2 comes close). I still on ocasion play Rogue Squadren (almost 5 years old), i can picture myself playing clone campaigns for multiple years longer. About the game engine---from what i hear the two most popular suggestions would not work. I agree that these games are not nearly perfect (this totally based on what i've heard). I am disapointed that AoM is based on mythology (what happened to nothing but armies---who wants tales of ridiculous beings that some......uh,......guys made up when they sat in outhouses or something like that)?<". And RoN seems not to work also.

oh no my friend... this is a terrible mistake...

rushing DOES deter n00bs from getting better and from playing RM games. They then play lame ass scenarios which are pretty pointless.

But part of it is that they make no effort to get any better. If you keep getting smoked, look at a saved game or some of the online hints at how to be better. You learn a lot from the saved rm games you lose.

Just saying the film first, u call urself a SW fan pbguy but u dont know much, remember there are "clans" within the Jedi Order, Obi-Wan was most probably in the clan where Yoda was the teacher. Don't make me get my scripts out. and Obi-Wan refers to being reckless in episode 5, in ep 1 Obi-Wan is pretty reckless and well i can't be bothered to argue anymore so i'll get back on topic.

Lots of people want a 3D engine but at what cost??? Lots of people have 56k dial-ups and they wud not support a very graphical game in tremendous battles, I have a 56k dial up but I dont lag due to my really fast computer to compensate.

I think that LA should make their own engine? Why should they adapt their ideas to another engine, when they can make an engine that fits all their needs and wants? Using another engine would just set limits and upset us. If LA makes their own engine, we should expect a lot more than SWGB or what SWGB2 would be with a borrowed enigine.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Broadband is just a dream for many people in the UK. Our main Telecoms company refuse to upgrade certain exchanges as it costs too much money. Also, the overall charge to set up broadband on your PC and then monthly costs with British Telecom are expensive.

If it wasn't for my cable company, I wouldn't have Broadband. Cable also, isn't available all over the UK and the way things are here, I doubt if many will see Broadband for another 5-10 years.

I am lucky to have 1 meg cable, which is currently the fastest speed in the UK.

Shame really as broadband is a whole new world!

DMUK

For SWGB2 and the RoN issue, the point i was trying to make was that if LA had to use an existing engine, RoN would be the best.

For SWGB2 though, i would love to see a purpose built engine from LA, possibly containing the better features of the best RTS' out there (ie RA, RA2, RoN, AoM, SC etc) along with new ideas from the staff at LA.

However, i think that combining a space based and ground based RTS would be a mistake of biblical proportions, leading to confused gameplay and would also demand high-end systems.

Finally, I would like to ask LA to add more diversity if they do make a sequel. Although GB was good, it seemed that every 'good' civ was good at Jedi, Air and Troops, while every 'bad' civ was good at Mechs and Heavy Weapons.

I just hope that if a SWGB2 is made, LA makes it as realistic as possible while keeping good balance and gameplay.

I disagree with that last statement, Windu. Although there are definitely the Mech/Heavy civs and the Jedi/Air civs, I wouldn't necessarily say one is better than the other. My friend swears by the Mech/Heavy civs, and says the Jedi/Air civs are crap. I on the other hand believe quite the opposite. It is really what suits your style of play. He likes to smash things good, whereas I prefer a more subtle and sophisticated way of waging war. We can still both see the merits of the other's preferred civs, though.

It is exactly this that I'd like to see more of in SWGB2.

After re-reading your post it occurred to me that you may have meant the 'good' and 'bad' as 'good' and 'evil', in which case that's just the way it is in the movies. Gungans are also a Mech/Heavy civ, but are not 'bad'.

I would love to see a GB2, but what would the storyline be? What new civs and units will there be? All the civs are taken. Unless they go into the EU (which I doubt) I think it will be pointless. I could really care less about 3-D or 2-D. The graphics are fine for me.

Personally, I think it would be awesome if they made another xpac for the EU. They can have more planets, and a couple more civs (like Yuuzhan Vong <- a biggy for me; maybe a pirate civ), and others.

Of course I'm just dreaming.... and rambling.

I really think the if the title would be called Galactic Battlegrounds 2, they should make it 3D. A lot of thing though should be changed. The Jedi should be able to deflect conventional weapons, like the E-11 blaster, and use force powers at random against enemy units. The maps should be bristling with activity, not just have 4 or 5 people just standing there and a few speeders set on patrol.

that's not a bad idea (the city thing). And maybe they can come up with like a "super air transport" that can carry more ubits.......

I'd be ok with AoM graphics, but I really dont like AoM engine. All this tech to get this unit. And I think that whole worship your god to get those god points are annoying.

Also, if they can make it so you'd have to play in the righht rooms at the Zone. (RMers in RM room, DMers in DM room, Scenarios in Scenario Room)

And more Civs. Not what there already is.

I just had an idea with respect to Jedi and Bounty Hunters. What if you actually call them in to help, but you don't control them? So they run around by themselves, fighting for you but in their own way.

Alternatively you could set them to protect one of your units or assassinate one of the enemies, but exactly how they go about doing that is up to them.

Archived