Home

RTJ: What is Luke doing?

tico_chico

Hey everyone,

This may have been discussed before, but then again, maybe not. But I'm wondering about something in the beginning of Return of the Jedi.

Luke enters Jabba's place and is stopped by two guards. He responds by pointing a couple fingers at each guard individually and they seem to be choking as they back away. Did he use force grip like Vader did to that officer with the disturbing lack of faith? Or is he using mind trick on them to make them think they're choking? Or am I interpreting their body language wrong?

I thought Luke was supposed to be a light Jedi. . .and force grip is supposed to be a dark jedi force, right? So what's going on?

Just wondering. :)

Originally posted by Nitro

Force grip is used any time something is remotely manipulated... Like the "Do or do not..." scene in Empire, or every time someone pulls a lightsaber towards them.

Thanks for pointing that out, Nitro. I somehow never thought about that. . .but you're right. But I'm still wondering if it was truly a "light jedi" thing to do to choke someone.

Keep the input coming everyone.

there are no force powers ... its all in how the jedi/sith manipulate the force ... force powers are a game invention so u can use the force ingame

back to this incident ... luke doesnt do quite the same as vader ... he lets the guards go i believe ... also he does this action in defence (or at least to prevent him having to kill the guards) ... not attack ... and therefore is still light side

Originally posted by Clem

there are no force powers ... its all in how the jedi/sith manipulate the force ... force powers are a game invention so u can use the force ingame

back to this incident ... luke doesnt do quite the same as vader ... he lets the guards go i believe ... also he does this action in defence (or at least to prevent him having to kill the guards) ... not attack ... and therefore is still light side

That's what I have always thought.:)

Originally posted by Clem

i was thinking jk2 like again! *hits head against moniter 100000 times* he's right about that there are no force powers in the real star wars just different ways they used it!

Originally posted by ßoss

he probably wont stay he was just curious :D

:p Actually I've been reading these forums for quite a while, and I can usually find answers to my questions just by reading other threads. I'm more of a reader than a poster. Hence my low post count.

But I'll give input if I have it. Thanks for the welcome everyone!

And I apologize for my inaccuracy. You're all absolutely right about the force power thing. I was just wondering if this episode with Luke was a proper manipulation for someone portrayed as a "light" Jedi.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Archived