The MIDI music

Lundquist

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tzar Sectus

:eek: 10 days? Ten.... days???? *jumps off a cliff*

-Remi

You're on the team you muppet, just ask MilesTeg for it ;)

Anyway, I hope you're gonna like the new website. I'm pretty happy with the way it's shaping up at the moment :)

Hey, I'm on the team to...

I am the guy that, err.... posts here... alot. Yeah, I am the forums poster guy.... :p

It really doesn't concern the mod, does it? Can't we all get it?

Well, I guess not because the site is down and Lundiquists space is low. I have 60 megs of space free with AT&T, want me to put it on my site in the mean time????? If I have enough room for that and my image sig... Speaking of which, how do you like my image sig?

It's Lundquist's intellectual property. If either he (I assume) or MilesTeg want to give it to you, they can. But it will go up permanently on the website in just over a week (I hope).

It would be nice if it was released on the site first, but that's just my opinion. Lundquist can distribute it how he wishes...

Katarn07, your just 20.3 megs short of having enough space to host it, anyway, I was thinking much the same thing as The_One -having it go up with the new site and all, as part of one nice huge package. But those that can't wait can always try and catch me on AIM and ICQ, though I'm not on much at the moment.

btw, I added the url to the website in the id3 tags, hope that's ok?

edit: I hope the wait doesn't make any of you loose interest, if that's the case just get it any way you can...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a small correction to one of the tracks:

The trombones playing the main melody near the end of track 19 are playing too soft, at the time I made it, it sounded ok, but now it bothers me - So I've increased the volume on them. So if one of the mods would replace the original one with this one (when the soundtrack is put on the site), I'd really appreciate it.

http://www.angelfire.com/music4/gffrpg/19_-_Mohc_-_The_Final_Battle.mp3

(this track is practically identical to the piece in the opening credits, but with minor changes, like the string part in the middle, which I really like and is the reason why I chose to include it)

That's some great work Lundquist! I'm now fully convinced that the team made the right decision in deciding to use the MIDI tracks in the mod. :thumbsup:

The 'final battle' track sounds absolutely superb on my Audigy 2 and 6.1 speakers with CMSS 2 enabled. The only point of criticism I can make is the same one Katarn07 mentioned relating to the transition to the string soli section at ~1min 30s - it's a little jarring. Perhaps if you removed the two trombone notes in the preceeding bar? That aside, this stuff is A+. ;)

Btw, what synth did you use to playback the MIDI - was it a standard GM bank, soundfonts, or something else? I ask because I'm in need of some good brass instrument sounds for my own MIDI work, but everything I've found so far sounds just awful - like the crappy 'quacking duck' style brass you used to get on those dinky Yamaha keyboards they have in schools. The brass in your files are just about the closest I've heard to real instruments, so it would be great if I could find something similar for my own use.

I just would like to add one little thing more, in the original DF music, as far as I know, the vocals in you md3 sounded like a distorted guitar with a touch of alien, warpy sound...when the team decided to go for MIDI I looked forward to this little section but so far I havent heard anything like it...in either yours or Benevolence's..

Richyboy:

6.1 speakers? :eek: I'm sitting here with 2 standard stereo speakers, It's nice two know that quality is good enough for such a sound setup as well.

I agree that the two notes make it sound rather unrealistic, but I'm trying not to change any notation on the compositions. But I guess I could try and remove them for the sake of realism.

regarding the synth, I use GigaStudio - A rather demanding sampler. If you want to use the really good(big) samples it's best to have a dedicated machine run the samples and another one run GigaStudio. But the samples are actually quite expensive: look up Dan Dean Brass Ensemble for example, it's abou $700 - it IS possible to get desent sounding brass for less though (about $100 per section, like Trombones) If you look hard enough around the net you might even find pretty good free samples - the percussion I use in these tracks is free.

Salv:

:confused: Distortion guitar in the midis? there were't any in the original midi which I extracted from the game. In the version playing in the original opening credits, that part was played by clarinet and strings... I wonder what synth/soundcard you used?

Yeah, everything but that transtion was great. But the string selection totally made that up for me...

*** Not to sound impatient, rude, and demanding (well, I am a bit impatient), when is the new site coming? I hope it will get more updates soon after release, but I am really looking forward to the music!!!

In the version playing in the original opening credits, that part was played by clarinet and strings... I wonder what synth/soundcard you used?

Yea sorry my bad, it aint really like that in the midis...that sound comes from playing without a midi synth I suppose, that I had to do before. And mines is a sound Blaster Live :evanpiel::)

I would also add that there are 4 different "boss" tracks, theres boss14a which is the one you remade, then theres boss5a, boss10a and "TEMP" which is pretty cool too. Would love to see those remade.

There's 20 tracks.

The other boss battle themes are there as well. Except 'temp' which is actually taken directly out from the intro to TIE-Fighter.

'Boss5a' I would believe means the boss in level 5, and as I recall that is the 1st phase of the dark trooper. Boss10 is the same theme as boss11, was there a boss on level10 (jabba's ship)? Not counting the Kell dragon, as there are multiple of those. I really can't remember, so I named the track after the quite familiar boss on level 11.

Originally posted by Lundquist

There's 20 tracks.

The other boss battle themes are there as well. Except 'temp' which is actually taken directly out from the intro to TIE-Fighter.

'Boss5a' I would believe means the boss in level 5, and as I recall that is the 1st phase of the dark trooper. Boss10 is the same theme as boss11, was there a boss on level10 (jabba's ship)? Not counting the Kell dragon, as there are multiple of those. I really can't remember, so I named the track after the quite familiar boss on level 11.

I've been having technical problems, but I think I've found a workaround. So, if there are no hitches, it will be today (Sunday).

However, whether Lundquist's soundtrack will be on there or not I don't know - I asked MilesTeg to upload it over a week ago, and it still hasn't appeared on the FTP.

Archived