Home

WIP: City of the Ancients

wedge2211

Okay, I checked my original .pk3, and it turns out that i did NOT forget the original levelshot, I just forgot to put it in the right directory. If you open up CotA.pk3 in PakScape, you'll find the levelshot CotA.jpg in the botroutes/ directory. D'OH! The corrected file is available at that same link I sent you before, and I sent that link along to jkii.net as well. Hopefully, they will put that up before they put up the levelshotless version. :)

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a P4 1.7 GHz, 256 MB RAM, and a 64 MB GeForce4. I get the same drop in FPS when I look across the city, but I haven't had any inturruption in my own gameplay due to frame rates. I dont think there's really any way to fix that in this level, though. Thanks!

Okay, it appeared online at jkii.net:

http://www.jediknightii.net/files/index.php?link=file&id=1103

As far as I can tell, this is the fully-functional correct one with the levelshot in the right place and everything. I have had one person complain about bots not being routed...but I honestly don't know what that's about. Please, download, enjoy, comment!

Two things I would like to know about players' impressions about this map:

First, are there any problems with the huge open area? As far as I can tell, this is a kind of revolutionary idea in JKII MP maps.

Second, does this map work well as a CTF map? I designed the layout of the temples to provide a natural red/blue division, but I specifically made the general city layout asymmetrical. Is one side "better" than the other, or is this a good CTF arrangement? If it works, I might later experiment with drastically different asymmetrical CTF layouts, such as a canyon/mountain system on one side, a plain in the middle, and a constructed base on the other side.

Originally posted by wedge2211

Two things I would like to know about players' impressions about this map:

First, are there any problems with the huge open area? As far as I can tell, this is a kind of revolutionary idea in JKII MP maps.

Second, does this map work well as a CTF map? I designed the layout of the temples to provide a natural red/blue division, but I specifically made the general city layout asymmetrical. Is one side "better" than the other, or is this a good CTF arrangement? If it works, I might later experiment with drastically different asymmetrical CTF layouts, such as a canyon/mountain system on one side, a plain in the middle, and a constructed base on the other side.

The major problem for me is the slowdown of the open areas. When playing with a few other people it makes it nearly unplayable, which hurts especially during CTF. It's hard to dodge the choppy movement, you know?

I do love the layout, however. Asymmetrical CTF is much more fun. As far as I can tell, no one side is better than the other... but for future reference, each side should have strengths and weaknesses. Your later experiment idea sounds interesting... hope to see something on it soon. :p

Very nice map Wedge, the only complaint I have is there seems to be some odd lighting in random places (A green light in that an 'alcove' in open place in front of the big temple, some random yellow lighting) but it might be just a problem with lighting (other than that the lighting was exeptional).

As for the FPS, I got around 30 in most of the map and about 19/20 while on the boat, which would be good enough for an RP game but for ctf, it's iffy, would have to have a better comp than me :-D

The map overall was awesome, i'd give it a 9.5/10, I hope mine can compare to this (if it ever gets done! lol).

In case your wondering, im on an Athlon 1ghz, 256mb ram and WinXP

This map really 'kicks the llama's ass'

hey wedge only one complaint other than that its excellent. the fps is really really ridiculously low in some places. i was wondering if yo caulked and if so did you caulk all the outside space ?and did you light my fps dropped to around 4 and 5 so i cant play it with much enjoyment. other than that its gold.

Thanks for the comments.

Most unseen surfaces are caulked. The sky is a light-emitting shader, which might affect FPS, but it's a sun light instead of just an emitted light. Basically the frame rate i low just because most of the map is essentially one, big, open area, which can't be helped other than major architectural changes (i.e., making all the buildings so big that you can't jump/see over them). In my opinion, if you've got a good enough machine, the map plays well enough over most of it's area, I really can't do anything else to increase the performance. I have seen worse. :)

Thanks for the accolades, guys!

Very nice map. :)

I don't get a great FPS when looking at the general length of the map (that's usually the FPS killer), but my FPS is a lot better on this than the DOTF map. :D

I like the detail of the buildings, and the market in the middle. Very nice for RP stories. :)

Mars is also an excellent map, reminds me of the movie 'Ghosts of Mars' if you've ever seen it. :)

I look foward to your next map. ;)

Nice work on the water too. ;)

Normally people use green water, and generally don't shove a shader on it... I dislike green water. :p

I've made a very embarrasssing error.

Some of the custom textures I used, and included with the CotA pk3, came from buckman's BETA-tatooine map, as he pointed out to me. I didn't give him credit for those in the readme or even shoot him an email asking to use them. He mentioned to me that it would have been OK if I had asked permission properly and cited him in the readme, which I failed to do. It's kinda of beyond help now, as the map has been available for some time and there have been a lot of downloads. I re-wrote the readme and sent it off to jkii.net, asking them to update the download, we'll see what happens. I'm not sure if buckman will accept my profuse apologies or what else I can do to resolve this, it was rather dishonest of me.

I have certainly learned to keep track of other map readme files along with the maps themselves, and to be sure to ask permission in the future; this won't happen again.

The new version of the readme I sent to jkii.net, for inclusion with the CotA.zip download, reads as follows:

JEDI KNIGHT II MODIFICATION

Title : City of the Ancients

Author : wedge2211

E-Mail : 06jps@williams.edu

File Name : CotA.pk3

File Size : 11 MB

Date Released : 8 Jan 2003

Description : The populace of Keranis IV, a preindustrial world, was wiped out by the Sith at the height of their power. The Sith used a massive Force burst to eradicate all intelligent life on Keranis, leaving the Kerani cities desolate and preserved. No living thing remains in the cities but a few slowly rotting plants among the Kerani houses, shops, and temples. Features 5 themed temples, an open marketplace, a meeting hall, and a port. Over 52 independant buildings, 12 with detailed interiors.

Comments : This map is bot routed. I haven't had any significant framerate issues yet, despite the large open space. The music is "Atrus' Theme" from Riven (the sequel to Myst).

A note on custom textures--

The following textures came from the Photo-Brush program:

cobblestones, gold, planks, planks_dk, plaster, plater_rough, weave, marble_bl, marble_gr, cloth2. Other mappers MAY use these textures.

The following textures came from buckman's BETA-Tatooine map:

adobe_lt, adobe_dk, brick, sand, sand2, sand3, sand4, sand5. Other mappers should CONTACT BUCKMAN for permission to use these textures.

The following textures are modified JKII standard textures:

glass_gr, oceansky_up, oceansky_dn, oceansky_lf, oceansky_rt, oceansky_ft, oceansky_bk. Other mappers MAY use these textures.

THIS MODIFICATION IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, OR SUPPORTED BY ACTIVISION, RAVEN, OR

LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC. ELEMENTS TM & © LUCASARTS

ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LLC AND/OR ITS LICENSORS.

Again, I'm very sorry about all this, and I hope we can work things out.

Archived