Home

Return of the "Jedi"?

Zygomaticus

I was thinking about this when i saw RotJ again, last night, and the question popped to me. Who is the "Jedi" in the title?

1) Is it the fact that the Jedi religion was revived with Luke becoming a Jedi and destroying evil and the jedi retaking control

or

2) Is it the fact that Darth Vader turned back to the good side and hence "returned"

I always thought of it as 1, but now I think of it more as 2..

What do you think? Or do you have more opinions as to what it might mean?

That's a pretty good question now that two of the three Preq's are out. As much as I'd like to say the first one, I bet number 2 is closer to the correct answer. RotJ is much more about Vaders redemption in the end rather than Luke becoming a Jedi.

Perhaps it should have been titled "Redemption of the Jedi" rather than "Return of the Jedi" ;)

Originally posted by krkode

It was about to be called "revenge" of the jedi, but they thought "revenge" was unjedi-like, so they stuck to return.

Which, i think, points more directly to the first one. The movie is about the Sith (and the Empire) being destroyed and the Jedi reclaiming "control" of the galaxy (eventually if not right away).

However, "revenge" could still be work for 2 too, because in the end Vader does get revenge on the Emperor. But that seems like more of a longshot to me.

Originally posted by Sherack Nhar

I think it's definitely a mix of the two. Creating subtle parallels like this one is always a key point to a good movie... nice find, krkode!

Yes, and the best titles always have double meanings. Like "Dark Force Rising". I love that one.

Funnily enough, people moaned about 'Return Of The Jedi' as much as they did about 'Attack Of The Clones'. Here we are, 20 odd years later, and suddenly people start seeing deeper things....

:rolleyes:

Incidentally, Lucas once said in an interview that it was indeed about the Jedi as a whole returning / taking over.

Archived