Home

Zam Wesell Project being started

NeoMarz1

Originally posted by Lord Tnuc

I trust her sounds and whatnot will be taken from the Bounty Hunter game? And the rifle sounds will be taken from the Episode II single shot? I'm very into this rifle idea...good going with the reticle. Perhaps somehow, someone could make a reticle that could lock on, like the rocket..but also act differently...like..there's a large reticle when you have the rifle...a reticle in the middle..and a circle that is around the middle reticle. perhaps, someone could make it so that the circle leaves the reticle once someone has entered the larger reticle..making it so that they're more noticeable...more of a cool feature than anything, probably.

Hey you just keep the ideas a rolling. I hadnt even considered the rifle till you suggested it! I may even do a pistol. I now got a contact who is helping me on weapons. Ill post more as it become available. Mars out!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to everyone for showing interest in the model. Heres what ive done so far...

1) refined the head model

2) finished the helmet

3) attached the helmet

4) finished the target reticule

5) sent Zam's rifle to "Locutus", in turn I should get the rifle skin out quickely.

6) started the body.

I want to take a moment and thank "Locutus" for helping me on the rifle, He is the one responsible for "Jangos" Westar pistol.

Ive been thinking about a pre release on Zam's rifle; however, it will be included with the Zam model on release. :D

Thanks again, Mars out!

Oh one more thing, stay tuned... screenshots will be coming soon!

Originally posted by Jolts

looks good, I would smooth down the cheek bones a little, and then work on the eyes and nose shape.

Yeah I agree, Im really worried about polygon count, I used a lot on the helmet, head, and now the body. I'm trying to keep it down, but I dont want to lose too many details. I actually modeled the hoses on the torso, and the crescent buckle. My concern here is that when it gets animated, are those things gonna twist and look funny?

Another point with the nose, nothing is attached (like the nose), should it be? Everything at this point is one modeled shape. Does the nose or any protrusions have an effect on UVmapping, And whats with the overlap warnings when doing the map? Is that from the nose? I guess Im a little nervous about getting in all that detail and finding out that it was modeled wrong (as far as rigging/skinning details go). What kind of things should I be concerned about when making the model? Are there things that im doing that may make the job harder down the road?

Mars out!

Keeping the nose attached to the head is the way I would do it, I noticed the raven models don't, they might have done it that way for ease of recyling and uvmapping. If you model everything as one piece you can always segment it later w/o any troubles.

I would keep the rest of the head as one piece. If its easier to model everything in patches do it that way, then later merge it all together. Personally I do it all as one. For the helmet maybe model it in 3 different lods do a quick texture test and see what works best.

Things like hoses you can model real cheap with a cube or triangle since its so small from a normal distance it would read fine.

Keep your surface topology as clean as possible and make sure you have enough rows around the joints for better deformation, reference the raven model for examples. It might also be easier to start modelling in quads, and then after everything is modelled go in and triangulate it.

experiment, look at other models surface topology, pm me or post a wire frame shot so I can see better what you got going

Originally posted by NeoMarz1

Whats STL check? Is that an option in 3Dstudio max?

It goes in the modifier stack. Click the scroll down list in the modifier options in the edit/modify tab and you should see a modifier called STL check somewhere in there.

Although an STL check is essentially for other purposes, it will be helpful in showing you open edges, double faces and essentially double vertices. These occur as you mirror your mesh or copy/clone parts of it as you edit the mesh. An open edge might also not animate properly or be visible in the in-game model. Double vertices are my personal hates since they seriously mess me up during weighing. They are found usually on both ends of an open-edge that was supposed to be closed. If you slect these vertices by dragging a selection box around them, you will see one vertice selected on screen, but it will say 2 vertices selected in the menu on the left. These vertices occupy the same point, but join to different edges. In most cases (not all) the open edge is supposed to be closed and these vertices which are located in the same spot are supposed to be only one. just collapse these vertices to fix this and open edges. They cause many problems when you try to weigh your mesh as you may weigh one of these verts but not the other, and although it may LOOK like your mesh is weighed and there are no unweighed vertices, carcass will tell you there is a certain vert thats left out... good luck finding this vert when its buried underneath a properly weighed vert. >.<

STL errors also come into play during smoothing. If two surfaces that are next to each other are not attached to each other (seperated by an open edge) the max smoothing will not work very well and/or the shading difference of the two surfaces will be drastic. Although this is a moot point since assimilate will do it's own smoothing regardless of what you do to your mesh in max (If you import the XSI you will see that they are devoid of smoothing), but I like to have max smooth my model properly for good renders and also to be able to view it properly and make valid editing decisions. :)

Thanks H2o and Jolts! You guys cleared a lot up for me. I have one more question, (sort of embarrased), but when you talk about "weighted"... what does that mean? You have to understand that I'm basically a newbie. I have my ideas of what that means, but maybe you can clarify :D

I appreciate the detailed info! Sincerely Mars

weighing comes into play later on in the modelling process. If you take a look at spacemonkeys tutorial you will see a section on weighing. It is what needs to be done for the model to animate properly in game. You don't need to worry about it much untill your model is basically complete anyway. But it's important that you build your model close and tightly around to the raven skeleton bc that is what you will "weigh" your mesh to, when modelling is done. :)

Well the project is moving along. I must say that im about to pull my own hair out. I am happy to report that I have made some great changes to both the helmet and face. The goggles were way off on the last screenies. It's hard to get any detail shots of em, but I think im close enough (unless someone has good pics of the goggles). I changed the brim of the helmet to look more sweeping. Only thing slowing me down is that I dont have the skelaton available. Psyko is sending I hope. Im a little reluctant to do more modeling without that, Also, if anyone has the "space monkey tutorial" (not the appendum) please send it :D

I dont want to disappoint anyone who is following this thread, so I'm doing my best!

P.S. It looks as though the rifle is moving along as well, I just got the maps, I may start skinning that even though I don't have the glm/pk3 yet. Mars out!

Originally posted by NeoMarz1

P.S. It looks as though the rifle is moving along as well, I just got the maps, I may start skinning that even though I don't have the glm/pk3 yet. Mars out!

I am very much in love with this rifle idea. Did you get the sound effects from the movie or are you just doing the visuals?

Mars, if you look into the modelling forum, I think it got renamed and joined into one HUUUGE general editing forum now. There is a thread I recently bumped up that has the title:

for anyone that needs a weighted skeleton

Inside you will find that somebody had put up a skeleton with all the tags weighed allready.... a great thing for starters. :)

I got some Great news!!!!!!!!:D

The Zam Rifle is now completed, Thanks to Locutus! He has been very very helpful, and we both have been punching away at this thing. I am going to go ahead and put out version 1 (version 2 will come out with the zam model).

Version 1 has the reticule and gun model with completed skins.

Version 2 will have sounds and edited fire blast.

I plan to send the pk3 out tommarow, so keep checking http://www.JediKnight2Files.com

I have played around with the rifle and its way cool, much better than the disruptor (in my own opinion:D ). Only bad thing is that the rifle clips the player's elbow just a tad (to be expected with the long rifle design). :mob: Mars out!

Originally posted by Lord Tnuc

I'm curious if it will also be sent to http://www.JkII.net

Yup! It was... Although, I'm not sure if it will make it to the posting there. They can be slow sometimes. Mars out!

:D****Good news****:D

More pictures posted by H20, I'm sure you will all get a kick out of what's been done so far! I'm basically working the forms, nothings been attached to the skelaton. I am considering a Zam varient with the veil covering! Possibly Zam's airspeeder for map constructions. We'll see... Mars out!

http://www.talocan.net/mars/zam_riflescrn2.jpg

http://www.talocan.net/mars/zamtorsoshot2.jpg

http://www.talocan.net/mars/zamtorsoshot3.jpg

http://www.talocan.net/mars/zamtorsoshot4.jpg

:D *********EVEN BETTER NEWS***********:D

I just finished the Zam model, Don't get too excited though... It's just the model! Now comes the hard part... getting it on the skelaton, and in the game. This may actually take longer than the modeling process (for me). Its going to be a rough road from here on out! I know you guys will help me (you know who you are). I am excited, and can't wait to get Zam finished. A little early to say this but... Adi Gallia is my next one;) Mars out!

Archived