Home

Zam Wesell Project being started

NeoMarz1

Thank you so much, Psyko.

Edit: I just tried the rifle, and it looks great. In single player, there is a problem right in front of where one of the hands goes. It's like it's missing. also, the rifle seems a bit thin. I'm not sure if that's how it is really or not, but to me it seems a little thin.

Edit2: On another note..have you talked to anyone about Zam's sounds? Like I suggested earlier, perhaps someone can bring up their ps2 Bounty Hunter game and take sounds from there, since she has quite a bit of vocab. A LOT more than in Episode II.

And also. Have you thought about your next model?

My personal preference would be the X-Man; Gambit.

I have absolutely tons of reference material for him, and there are tons of different model ideas...different variations..a lot of very kickass stuff that you could do with a Gambit model.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Lord Tnuc

Thank you so much, Psyko.

Edit: I just tried the rifle, and it looks great. In single player, there is a problem right in front of where one of the hands goes. It's like it's missing. also, the rifle seems a bit thin.

Edit2: On another note..have you talked to anyone about Zam's sounds? Have you thought about your next model?

My personal preference would be the X-Man; Gambit.

Comment Uno: I'm glad you like it (since it was your idea). I'll take another look at it, I never really considered its width since there are no good front profile photos. I just modeled it using my own memories of the rifle that its based on (the older flint locks used during british american war). They are almost as thin as they are in the side profile, but I'll give it a look.

Comment Dos: Well... I just watched the movie again (for about the 150th time) and I definately want to use the rifle sounds. They are just too cool to not use, plus the fire effects are awsome. I'll except any help to get these sounds. I can tape the sounds directly off the DVD, but have no good way to get em onto the PC (other than the mic). Please anyone who can get em, let us know here on this thread.

Comment Tres: I am thinking about Adi Gallia for my next model. I guess the whole star wars theme is about all I think about these days, but I do love comics (since I used to actually work as a freelance comic artist). Gambit is cool.

Heres the link to my old comic site http://hometown.aol.com/NeoMarz1/box/page1.htm

Mars out!

With the sounds, I actually meant Zam herself, not her rifle. The Bounty Hunter game has some excellent Zam Wessel sounds. Nice choice on next models, by the way. Perhaps, in doing so, you could also figure out a new saber style, where you hold the saber backwards. Not so much changing animations, just turning the saber around? I'm not sure how it would be done. But like in Jedi Power Battles, she weilded her lightsaber held backwards. Perhaps, you could edit a tag(?) or perhaps an idle stance to make the lightsaber held backwards.

Perhaps, with Zam...some ideas for alternate skins, you could turn some surfs off and have some of her costume off. I'm not talking about stripping her, I'm talking about perhaps a piece of armor would be taken off. Or perhaps, skin it so that it looks like she's wearing something else.

Whoa this thread moves fast :)

Double edges shouldn't be too much of a problem, not as bad as double vertices (weighing becomes frustrating). If you really want to get rid oft them though (save before you try) select the edge in question and just remove it. Normally, if it's anything like I experienced before, one of the edges will remove the polygon that it was associated with (the face) the other will not. It's a little tricky to get the right unwanted edge. Yea, I'm quite a perfectionist when if comes to models and really like to have no STL errors whatsoever (besides where they should be like the edges of the segment). :)

If you want a pretty good idea of where the bones should fall, you should try taking a peek at some of the XSI files raven has released (you are using 3ds max and have the plugin right?) The files will show you the ideal positions of the bones. Like psyko said, you don't have to adhere to it precisely, but cetrain parts and things are quite sensitive. I'll make a short paragraph pf the problems I had with alignment before.

Head: Not much of a problem as long as you weigh the majority of the head mesh to the cranium. The face bones that you see sticking out can be left for last and are only needed if you are going to make an SP version of your model. The face does not animate in MP, and can be left out for ONLY MP models.

Torso/Shoulders: My first problems came here. Ry to make sure the joint where the clavical meets the arm bone (forgot which one) is quite central to where the shoulder of your mesh is. The Raven animations are a little buggy on the shoulders for some movements like the backstab and some swings will look pretty bad if the mesh is not well aligned.

Arms/Hands: pretty much the same... I would take care in aligning the elbow joint and making sure the bones run straight through the middle of the arm mesh. For simplicity's sake, you can weigh all of the hand mesh to the hand bone initially to get your model in game faster, then go back one you have tweaked out the major bugs and add the finger bones. I allways weigh the finger and face bones last, and only after having worked out all the other weight bugs in the mesh.

Hips/Legs: Very simlar to the arms. The hips can be troublesome depending on how high your hip is according to the pelvis. It will be trial and error and you probably will adjust your mesh a little when you are debugging the hip later on. The hip can be weighed mainly ot the pelvis, but it might look better if the lower lumbar comes into play, depending on where the hips end.

Well, that was a long post. Hope something there is helpful. :)

Mars for counting the polygons : select the mesh of your model go to the utilities panel (on the right) and there's a button "number of polygon" and there it is :)

for the double edge i don't know if i have well understanding what you mean but you can try this (save before) select the points on one extremity of the 2 edges, make an edit mesh scroll down find the section weld or join (or something like this i have max in french so i don't know the name in english) in the case next selection enter a big value (like 250) and then click on selection. Normally the 2 points will be 1 point now :) make the same with the 2 other spoints and the double edge will be a simple edge (it's important for the smooth)

For the weighting before you begun i suggest you to see if your polygons are not invert select a part of your mesh go to the panel utilities/restore transformation and then click reinitialize selection go to modify panel right click on transf. and select retract on. If nothing happen it's good if the polygon of your mesh is invert make an edit mesh select all the polygon and invert them. If you make this after the weighting and it's not good you will have to reweight the mesh

Like ksk h2o said see what proportion raven give to there model so you align your model on these. For the facial animation make it at the end, it's easy to do. For the others parts i suggest to you to open some existant model in modview, go in the view menu and select "showing vert index ..." , then on the right of the model click on the + next model.glm, surface and here left click on the part you want to see to highlight it,after right click on the name of the part select info and tape on return

normally it will open you a wordpad windows with all the weighting info of the part (points per points)you have select. See how it's make and try to make the same. It's like that I have learn to weight the points

If you have another question i'll be here

Another suggestion make the skin before you weight the points. in that way you can see in modview if the model move well or not and for you it will not take to much time :D

Originally posted by ksk h2o

The face bones that you see sticking out can be left for last and are only needed if you are going to make an SP version of your model. The face does not animate in MP, and can be left out for ONLY MP models.

Face is animated in MP, only that its hard to see.

BTW: Great Model!

Wow Mooa, you actually said something about mod view which I didn't know... It sure would have made my life easier had I known that but hey. Learned the hard way.

Payne, I'm surprised to hear that the face is animated in MP. I have positioned the camera smack on the face and never saw lips/jaw move on default meshes... strange... what sequences did you see animate the face? :)

Wow Mooa, you actually said something about mod view which I didn't know... It sure would have made my life easier had I known that but hey. Learned the hard way.

Payne, I'm surprised to hear that the face is animated in MP. I have positioned the camera smack on the face and never saw lips/jaw move on default meshes... strange... what sequences did you see animate the face? :)

I'm happy if i can help you :D

In Mp i'm not sure that all the facial bone is use I think there's just the jaw bone that is used and so it's seems that we have facial animation but i'm not sure. We can see the jaw move on the taunt action

Originally posted by Boss

GOOOOOOD JOB neomarz, your stepping up and my skinning master is now a madler and you stuck to your first idea to, Zam Weasel.

by the way Howd you learn to model so fast and so well

Well... It looks good, but I got some bugs to work out. Modeling is more or less sculpture, and Ive done all kinds of sculpture. I actually wanted to be a prop designer when I was in highschool. I started out by making props for these silly sci-fi films... I painted/sculpted in college (for 1 year), went into comics for about 10 years, then web design.... Hmmm where am I going with this. I guess what I'm trying to say is, all that stuff made it a little easier to model.:D Mars out!

Where does the model stand right now? Well... I decided to hold off on the weighting this weekend. I think the model still needs more work, so I'm going to spend a lot of time making sure it's gonna fit the skelaton just right! Tommarow I'm gonna get a Polygon count, so you guys can give me some feed back. Let me know if I'm going overboard. The arms and legs are low on polygons, so I may actually model the gloves and boots. Mars out!

Maybe you should temporarily post various screenies with the skeleton viewable and the mesh set to see-through, it might help get some feedback on the positioning.

:D

I will definately do that. I'll also put tags on it to address the areas of my concern. Mars out!

Okay. I've been thinking about this idea for quite some time. I'm not sure if it's possible, but hear it out to the end. A rocket launcher/jetpack conversion. Basically...the same way you change the positions of the animations of the saber stances...could someone perhaps create a rocket launcher that you basically have nothing in your hands...but then once you hit the fire button, the animation causes you to crouch, with the rocket positioned on the back, so that it would be like it was coming out of the jetpack. I'm not talking about coding in a crouch, I'm talking about changing the "stance" from the "recoil"(?) so that instead of recoiling, it could just crouch, and it'd fire. Possible? I think so.

Maybe you should temporarily post various screenies with the skeleton viewable and the mesh set to see-through, it might help get some feedback on the positioning.

:D

Hey man! I just sent the pics to you. The model is not segmented right, but it will give you an idea. Soon as you post em Ill explain. I got a lot of questions. Mars out!

Ok, here we go. I got some pics here, and a load of questions. Ksk h2o answered a lot of em, but I'm gonna post these anyhow.

Let's start with this one...

http://www.talocan.net/mars/zamdecon1.jpg

My question here is this, I am way over polys on both the head and helmet. H20, tells me to stay within the 500 Vertices limit. 1st, is there a vertices counter?

2nd, I really wanted to keep the helmet separate. For one thing, if I combine those, I will then need to deal with over 1200 polys. What do you all think I should do here?

Next...(with listed Poly counts)

http://www.talocan.net/mars/zamdecon2.jpg

If you look on the left you will see the tail skirt. I made it thick, should I have made it a single plane? Should it be separate from the hips? Is it easy enough to keep separate (If we go that route)?

If you look on the right side you'll see the Hoses, and Belt buckle... My question here is this, Should those parts be welded to the torso (my concern here is for making the skin maps), or can they be grouped? I guess another question is this, Can you even use the "Grouping method" to associate items with say... the Torso?

(just for Poly counts)

http://www.talocan.net/mars/zamdecon3.jpg

No question here really.

http://www.talocan.net/mars/zamdecon4.jpg

The helmet is separated in a lot of bits. Again the same question as above. Should it be welded or grouped? If I do weld it, will it cause problems when I start mapping?

Well, thats my questions... Next I will send a screenie showing the skelaton alighnment. Thanks everyone, Mars out!

The 500 vertex limit is per object. You could have your head in three or four objects if you are going to be above 500 vertices. My homer model will have the head as Head, Head_eyes, and Head_mouth to deal with this.

500 vertices is a LOT. There is a mini counting plugin for max.

TINY COUNTER works very well. I just select the object, then select edit mesh, vertex and press Q for the vertice count once the plugin is installed.

Get it here:

http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/software4.asp

Archived