Home

Zam Wesell Project being started

NeoMarz1

Originally posted by NeoMarz1

Ok, here we go. I got some pics here, and a load of questions. Ksk h2o answered a lot of em, but I'm gonna post these anyhow.

Let's start with this one...

http://www.talocan.net/mars/zamdecon1.jpg

My question here is this, I am way over polys on both the head and helmet. H20, tells me to stay within the 500 Vertices limit. 1st, is there a vertices counter?

2nd, I really wanted to keep the helmet separate. For one thing, if I combine those, I will then need to deal with over 1200 polys. What do you all think I should do here?

I definitively love the head and the helmet :)

Yes you must keep the helmet and the head separate because in this way you can add a non-helmet version. For the question of hierarchy sapcermonkey tutorial is very very good. In your case i think you will have :

head

head_eyes_mouth

head_augment_off

head_helmet

For your polycount, the head can be reduced: the top of the head is not see so you can detach the polygons which were under the helmet. It depends if you want to make a non-helmet version. If you don't want you can delete the polygons. But if you want to detach the polygons i suggest you 1 things : make the uvmapping, the skin and the final weighting and after make an edit mesh select the polygons you want to detach, save a copy of the file, go in the file/fusion and select the first copy select the the part you want to detach polygons, rename it in the new name part (like head_augment_off or something like this). On the head delete the polygons you have select and on the head_augment_off invert the selection of the polygon and delete.

So in this way the uvmap don't need to be adjust to the other part, the weighting too, the only bad thing is that in your file you will have each bone you use for this part duplicate.

For the polycount don't worry my mon calamari model have first over 700 polygons for the head and it works fine

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next...(with listed Poly counts)

http://www.talocan.net/mars/zamdecon2.jpg

If you look on the left you will see the tail skirt. I made it thick, should I have made it a single plane? Should it be separate from the hips? Is it easy enough to keep separate (If we go that route)?

If you look on the right side you'll see the Hoses, and Belt buckle... My question here is this, Should those parts be welded to the torso (my concern here is for making the skin maps), or can they be grouped? I guess another question is this, Can you even use the "Grouping method" to associate items with say... the Torso?

Well i have make the polycount and you have about 2500 polygons, but you don't put the polycount of the arm. The arm will be ok like this, the torso can have much polygons, the hips too (in the pelvis area), the skirt is better thick then just a plan otherwise in some point of view she will looks like she has no skirt (in the back). The boots may have many more polygons i think.

For the belt and hoses keep them separate (i think you should the more thing you can separate)

http://www.talocan.net/mars/zamdecon4.jpg

The helmet is separated in a lot of bits. Again the same question as above. Should it be welded or grouped? If I do weld it, will it cause problems when I start mapping?

Well, thats my questions... Next I will send a screenie showing the skelaton alighnment. Thanks everyone, Mars out!

For the helmet, if you have separate you can make first the uvmap for each part and after select the bigger part make an edit mesh and attach the other parts.

And never group the part the game will not recognize it, you can only use the attach function or to tie the child part with the parent part

And can't wait to see the next screenie

Originally posted by moooa

For the helmet, if you have separate you can make first the uvmap for each part and after select the bigger part make an edit mesh and attach the other parts.

And never group the part the game will not recognize it, you can only use the attach function or to tie the child part with the parent part

And can't wait to see the next screenie

Thanks, I was waiting for someone to answer my questions. I may need your help in weighting (if your not busy). I am struggling with UV mapping right now... "What? A skinner who doesn't know how to map?". You heard me right. It's embarrasing to admit, but true! Its driving me nuts. I know it will be simple once I figure it out (just like modeling). I'm trying to get info from you guys in such a way that its not too much, so bare with me.

Moooa, If you could... send me your e-mail. I'm at neomarz1@sbcglobal.net , Mars out!

Originally posted by Jolts

I think you could clean up the face some, reduce the back of the head a little. I see some 5 point polys in the face, you should avoid that.

here's something I might do to clean it up

http://www.geocities.com/joltsone/wfr.txt

Yeah, a lot of the lines you put in make a lot of sense. I will certainly consider your comments. What problems do you see with the 5 point poly's. I think I know where your coming from, just wanted to hear what your thoughts were. Mars out!

they will screw with your textures and deformation. If you plan on having facial animation you want to keep your line network running smooth, some people find it easie to model in quads, then triangulate at the end. The way you have it right now will look odd when the mouth opens, put a jaw bone in and try moving it around and you'll see.

Jo facial animation is pretty weak, so I wouldn't worry it about too much for this model, but if you plan on doing models for other games with facial animation like unreal 2, you really should watch your topology.

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/viking/main2.asp

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

Originally posted by Jolts

they will screw with your textures and deformation. If you plan on having facial animation you want to keep your line network running smooth, some people find it easie to model in quads, then triangulate at the end. The way you have it right now will look odd when the mouth opens, put a jaw bone in and try moving it around and you'll see.

Jo facial animation is pretty weak, so I wouldn't worry it about too much for this model, but if you plan on doing models for other games with facial animation like unreal 2, you really should watch your topology.

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/viking/main2.asp

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

Awesome links, Best advice Ive gotten. Thanks a million Jolts!!!!:D It's awsome getting advice from the Jolts;) Mars out!

Originally posted by Lord Tnuc

This is to help with fixing the rifle, Mister Marz.

When held, the rifle has the appearance of the first shot...but once you shoot, the recoil pushes the barrel backwards, filling the void.

We are looking into the bug... Next weekend I'll try to give some feedback.

By the way both sites (Jediknight2, and Jk2files) now have the rifle for download. Mars out!

So where are we on Zam now?

Currently I'm battling with model fatique. I had to take a break, but tonight I should be back on the horse. I'm still making sure the model is lined up right, Psyko was working on skelaton bugs. I could have used the skelaton in Raven files, but he had one pretty much ready to use. I actually started modeling the Clawdite head. I dont know if we'll use it, but who knows;) I decided that the legs needed more work. I actually reworked the arms to have gloves. All and all it's moving along. Just a bit slow, since I'm moving more and more into the unknown. Mars out! By the way check out Psyko's new site!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/psykopat/

Hi NeoMarz. I managed to make a reskin of your anakin which was included in the ep1_obi model pk3. I must apologize however, cause I submitted the first version I did and it got posted on one of the jedi outcast sites:( I was wonderin if I could get your official approval to post my second version of the reskin. Thank-you for your time friend.

Originally posted by Classic Luke

Hi NeoMarz. I managed to make a reskin of your anakin which was included in the ep1_obi model pk3. I must apologize however, cause I submitted the first version I did and it got posted on one of the jedi outcast sites:( I was wonderin if I could get your official approval to post my second version of the reskin. Thank-you for your time friend.

Sure, You can do that. I kinda rushed him anyhow, so it's no big deal. My intentions was to do another, but I'm on this project now. Thanks for asking. Mars out!

Originally posted by Lord Tnuc

I could be wrong, but I don't think NeoMarz had anything to do with the Obi-Wan model. That was Toonces and Arco.

No he's right I did do several varients that were included alongside Arcos work. It was a fun model to work on. I actually did A version of his Mace Windu as well. I was going to do the Qui Gon model, but I got into this model. I may still skin him later on. Mars out!

Archived