Home

Adventure Gamers Hijacked by crazy people!

elTee

I couldn't but that's becuse I've probably only played 20 total. However, considering that and then considering that out of those TLJ would probably be below the top 5 or 7, and probably lingering around 10, I can see why Evan would have rated it 11 out of every graphic adventure game made since the dawn of time. I would have put it lower.

I don't know if it even would have made my top 20. It probably would have, but it would be lower. It's really not that amazing. Good, yes, but not great. For me it breaks down like this:

Plot: Very good and interesting.

Story progression: Slow, and not in a good way. A lot of the build-up just seems to be ignored in the end.

Dialogue: Points that could be made in a few lines get drawn out in a loooong conversation. And you can't save during it either.

Puzzles: Pretty standard, though a bit too much pixel hunting.

Graphics: Very good.

Music: Ok, if not spectacular.

Voice acting: Sarah Hamilton (that's her name, right?) does a great job, but most of the other actors just fall flat on her face.

As I said, personally I'd put it down lower, but I can respect that it's at #11.

10 non lec adventures that are better even

Tex Murphy Under a Killing Moon

Tex Murphy and the Pandora Directive

Tex Murphy Overseer

Broken Sword 1

Broken Sword 2

Gabriel Knight 2

Gabriel Knight 3

Police Quest 1

Police Quest 2

Police Quest 3

ten..

I played. The dialouge did put me to sleep, though. The biggest problem I had with it, though, was the story. I mean, I loved it, but I exspected a little more and felt so let down. And why does it come in four disks when the game is only one disk?

*******My Review of The Longest Journey*******

Presentation: Even the menu system helps deliver the underlying theams of the adventure. Funcom's quality in it's arts and mechanics shows how much they put into the expiereance. 9.5

Graphics: Pe-rendered backrounds, character designes, and GC movies are incredible, driving the story as sucsessfully as the writing. 9.5

Sound: Voice acting is above par, and the orchastral soundtrack is lush and takes you into April Ryan's world compleatly. 9.0

Gameplay: While the puzzles can be a little too convuluted for their own good, most of your adventure expierience will be a surpremely nostaligic expiereance. 8.5

Lasting appealing: While it's a defenite single player expireance, the journey is fairly long, and is pure Snickers. Satisfying... Almost! 8.5

Final score: *********9.3***

Originally posted by SamNMax

And why does it come in four disks when the game is only one disk?

You must have done a full install, putting all media files on your hard drive. The only use for the first CD in that situation is just for the copy protection. If the game only occupied the first disk, why do you think you went through all four during the install? For your health?

Ok, these are the adventure games I have, in one form or another:

LUCASARTS:

MANIAC MANSION

ZAK MCKRACKEN

INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE

LOOM

THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND

MONKEY ISLAND 2: LECHUCKS REVENGE

INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS

DAY OF THE TENTACLE

SAM N MAX HIT THE ROAD

FULL THROTTLE

THE DIG

THE CURSE OF MONKEY ISLAND

GRIM FANDANGO

ESCAPE FROM MONKEY ISLAND

SIERRA ON-LINE:

LEISURE SUIT LARRY 1-6

KINGS QUEST I-VI

POLICE QUEST 1-4

SPACE QUEST 1-5

REVOLUTION:

LURE OF THE TEMPTRESS

BENEATH A STEEL SKY

BROKEN SWORD: THE SHADOW OF THE TEMPLARS

BROKEN SWORD 2: THE SMOKING MIRROR

OTHERS:

LEGEND OF KYRANDIA 1

THE HAND OF FATE: KYRANDIA 2

MALCOLM'S REVENGE (KYRANDIA 3)

THE FLIGHT OF THE AMAZON QUEEN

NORMALITY

I HAVE NO MOUTH AND I MUST SCREAM

SIMON THE SORCERER

SIMON THE SORCERER 2

SIMON THE SORCERER 3

CALL OF CTHULU: SHADOW OF THE COMET

CALL OF CTHULU: PRISONER OF ICE

TOONSTRUCK

HUGO'S HOUSE OF HORRORS

HUGO 2

HUGO 3

LITTLE BIG ADVENTURE

LITTLE BIG ADVENTURE 2: TWINSENS ODDYSSEY

DISCWORLD NOIR

THE LONGEST JOURNEY

BLADE RUNNER

MYSTERY OF THE DRUIDS

There may be more, but I can't recall them from the top of my head. The point I'm trying to make is that I know a thing or two about this genre, and I'm not just assuming that LucasArts are the best or anything. So, with this in mind, I can appreciate how hard it is to put 20 of these games into any sort of order. As I haven't played some of the games that are on the adventuregamers list, I cannot comment on them, but here is MY list of the top 20, in order.

1. Grim Fandango

2. Little Big Adventure 2: Twinsens Oddysey

3. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

4. The Longest Journey

5. Day of the Tentacle

6. Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars

7. The Secret of Monkey Island

8. Simon The Sorcerer

9. Sam & Max Hit the Road

10. Discworld

11. Loom

12. Beneath a Steel Sky

13. Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror

14. Simon The Sorcerer II

15. The Flight of the Amazon Queen

16. Discworld 2: Missing Presumed...?

17. Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis

18. The Hand of Fate: Legend of Kyrandia 2

19. The Dig

20. The Curse of Monkey Island*

Ok, so I may have contradicted some earlier statements - for example, I actually only picked 9 of the 14 LucasArts adventures, when previously saying I would have them all except Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken. If I truly sat down and thought about it, then maybe this list would be radically different. And the fact is, there are still many, many games I need to play (The Last Express!) and if anyone can recommend some more, I'd appreciate it. Also, personal preference is involved - not many others would have LBA2 in thier list at all, let alone at the second place point.

At least now I understand the problem facing the adventure gamers people, and I'm sorry if I sounded a bit rude in any earlier posts. I think the only way to make a truly definative list is for everyone to vote for thier top 3 games (in no order, to make it easier) and then list the games in order of number of votes.

*MI3 is such a great game, and I've always said so. The only errors are to do with the fact that it isn't in the same vein as MI 1 and 2, and there are plot points which show this.

Lucastone's your looking for recomendtions? heres one

Zork Grand Inqisitor....

WAIT! yes I know its First Person adventure I Know. But listen Zork Grand Inquistior is not your standered myst clone. No not in the least, its very charicter driven, Humor abound, and buitiful Locals.

The plot is think, the puzzle's logical but not simple. There are no Myst style puzzles in this game(in fact theres this one puzzle that appears to be your standerd Myst style puzzle but the solution will leave anyone who hates those kinds of puzzles satified to the extream) , its mostly Inventory driven(and Magic Spell Driven, but you use Magic spells like Inventory Items) and there arn't Lucasart type conversations but you'll always have someone to listen to and there are lots of people to meet.

i can't stress enough to ALL OF YOU. Zork Grand Inquistor is one of THEE best first Person Adventures ever created, its one of the few that WILL appeal to the standered 3rd person adventure fan.

IT MUST BE PLAYED BY ALL!

Thats why it falls somewhere around 10 in my personal top 10.

Originally posted by LucasTones

At least now I understand the problem facing the adventure gamers people, and I'm sorry if I sounded a bit rude in any earlier posts. I think the only way to make a truly definative list is for everyone to vote for thier top 3 games (in no order, to make it easier) and then list the games in order of number of votes.

Don't worry, you don't sound rude at all. I've seen much worse so far in the countdown. :) (of course, the Christmas Day entry should inspire much cheer) Anyway, just to make sure you know, it's not an "adventure gamers people" thing; this list is 100% my work with only the odd suggestion from Marek and Josh. Assign all of the credit and/or (more likely) blame to me. :) Not trying to sound like a glory-hog, just trying to make everything clear.

~stinger~

I'm glad you're not mad at me. I think adventure gamers and mojo should instigate a proper poll though, and maybe make a list for people to choose from. You know, get as many people in on it as possible - PC Gamer, GameSpot, LucasArts themselves, Sierra, Revolution - and then, when all the votes are in, a whole big thing could be made of it. Like, interviews with the people behind the games, and "How do you feel with your game at no. 8?" etc. It could even end up on TV (channel 4 at 3am, but its a start)

Archived