Home

SLUDGE vs AGS

Zygomaticus

Hi, all

I'm new here (if you're wondering about my more than normal post count see galacticbattles forums :p ), and also to the adventure game community, although i have been playing adventure games for as long as you have, maybe. Since i was old enough to use a computer intelligently, anyway.

So, now i've entered the step where i feel motivated to make my own game. and this is where i meet a roadblock on what Engine to use

I believe in doing research before beginning anything such as this, and through my "research" i've concluded that Sludge and Ags had to be the best of the game making engines out there. But my question is which is better?

I've seen a great game for sludge (Cubert Badbones) and a great game for AGS (Norman Cooks Search for the Don) both of which are like "examples" to me - they are my way-to-go-about-its.

So please, give me your advice, from your experiences and results, which do you think is the better of the two - AGS or SLUDGE? And you might also want to know, that i'm kind of a n00b to game creating - infact, i AM a n00b. I know a little programming, about half a year of intro C++ and about a week of intense php. But one of my team members is doing his degree in computer science and is pretty experienced in C. (so would that give us an advantage somewhere?)

If you got C/C++ background then Sludge can be extreamly powerful in the long run. AGS can be powerful too, but to tell you my opinon, the interface of AGS is EXTREAMLY clutered and a pain in the arse. Sludge is damn near perfect in theinterface department(Except the Z-Buffer editor, godam I hate that thing) Also ease of use is a plus with Sludge, I downloaded sludge about 3 days ago and with a few look ups in the EXTEAMLY compleat Help file I was turning out sample rooms as fast as I could draw backgrounds in Photoshop. (Note I'm still using default sprites and cursers but thats next on the list of things to do and from what I experimented with, its a pretty easy to use Sprite animation editor) You do have to download a text editor called Editplus2 and drop in a file to turn your Sludge code colored but all the instructions on that are on the Sludge main page.

My vote, Sludge.

I'm more comfortable with SLUDGE because of it's scripting language. AGS is more wysiwyg based with lots of windows and settings you can change. I think SLUDGE gives you a more transparent view on how to run your game the way you want it to. AGS has scripting abilities too, though.

--Erwin

I do think that the only thing that really matters is the end result. Program is just a tool.

And to be completely honest- i have yet to see anything made with Sludge, that couldn't be easily done in AGS and vice-versa.

I think those two programs are the most advanced adventure-makers out there and you won't go wrong with either of them.

AGS does have very powerful scripting language (you can script everything from start to finish if you want- it's your decision). I'd really recommend you to download 2ma2's amazing platform-game example made with AGS, for some clever scripting.

Now, it depends what you like about adventure creation- if you like to program (script), i believe Sludge will most likely be better solution (as i heard, it's harder, and so gives to programmer more "satisfaction" when he/she program something succesfully)...

If however you are more interested in design, graphics, etc. part of creation, i'd recommend you AGS.

It's your call.

Roger Foodbelly is going nice, but we (project leaders) haven't worked on it since December. No screenshots at the time being, but there will be something else to drool over soon. :)

THE OFFICIAL ROGER FOODBELLY SITE DESIGN!

:D

The design is still under development, but it will probably be finished soon.

I've got a big update (I got to see the progress!), and I can tell you, it's wonderful and amazing! :D

Soon, our background leader will join the army for about 6 months, but he'll be working on the backgrounds in the evenings.

So it will appear nice screenshots already in February/March, depending on how fast we'll write the scene descriptions.

Archived