Home

Pure or Unpure that's the question.

Prometheus2k3

Not true, this is how it works:

Pure server: Only allows custom skins/models etc that the server has loaded on it. Any custom stuff you have that the server doesn't won't be useable.

Unpure: You can use any custom models etc that you want.

Turn on Cheats: you can do this while running a server by typing /rcon devmap (mapname). This will enable cheats.

The reason servers are pure is because ppl will, lets say, make all enemy team models a bright white color allowing them to be seen easier. Having a pure server makes sure everyone's on a level playing field in this respect.

That's not true razorace. You don't HAVE to download the models, you aren't FORCED to. Pure prevents people from using models not on the server, however you can go onto a server that's pure and has a bunch of customs on it while you just have basejk. Everyone using custom models will just show up to you as Kyle.

Originally posted by FK|FallenOne

That's not true razorace. You don't HAVE to download the models, you aren't FORCED to. Pure prevents people from using models not on the server, however you can go onto a server that's pure and has a bunch of customs on it while you just have basejk. Everyone using custom models will just show up to you as Kyle.

well, that's if you turn off auto-d/l.

Wrong again. I have autodownload on all the time and have never been forced to download player models that I didn't have off a pure server. In fact I have a ton of models/skins on our clan server that I DONT have on my machine just cause some people wanted them, and I'm never forced to download them. Only mini-mods, saber hilts, and maps are forced downloads that I've seen. Player models themselves aren't.

The model debate aside, for this game there is really no reason to have pure on. There are no public hacks for this game, sure plenty of bugs, but other than a server crash for 1.02 and one other multi-game network exploit for games based on the Quake 3 engine (if you don't know what I'm talking about don't worry about it), the game has remained hack free.

You CAN cheat with pure off... You have to hack the .pk3s to do it... So not many people know exactly how to go about it... But if you want to be sure that there arn't any hacks playing on your server, your best bet is to go pure...

What good is using your custom skin anyway? All the other people see is Kyle (most likely)

On an unpure server, someone could load up a mod like JK2++ that could give them a tremendous advantage over others. I don't know how stable that would be, but it would work.

Someone could easily modify their game code to give them faster firing weapons, higher damage weapons, god mode, invisiblity, etc, and it's very easy to do, even for a novice.

Originally posted by Emon

Someone could easily modify their game code to give them faster firing weapons, higher damage weapons, god mode, invisiblity, etc, and it's very easy to do, even for a novice.

Well judging by the 90 million "How do I taunt" posts, I don't think that’s going to be an issue.

I was very involved in the Quake 3 mod community for a couple of years, and in doing so learned more than I should probably mention about working with the Quake 3 pure authentication system.

Pure will block the client side loading of pak files such as skins, primitive bots (auto shooters), and primitive wall hacks and so on.

The reason OGC plagues the Quake 3 community even today is due to it being an exe that bypasses the Quake 3 exe and hence, the authentication.

No offense to anyone in the JK2 community, but most of the players came from other Star Wars games and/or JK1.

The overall knowledge of the Quake 3 engine and how to exploit it is something very, and I mean very few people I have encountered actually possess.

Originally posted by Emon

Just as you said, many people come from JK. You should also know that JK was one of the most hacked and cheated games of all time, it's up there with Half-Life.

True, but the interest in hacking this game has almost completely been ignored by the hack community.

The ttol/coolest server exploit was designed for all games based on the Quake 3 engine.

The JK2 server crash was never updated after 1.02.

That's it.

Nothing public ever was made or leaked for this game.

Sure there are plenty of bugs like I said (invisible saber anyone?) in the current version but really, what is the purpose of traditional client side hacks?

Wall hack?

Seeing.

Aimbot/auto shooter?

No use unless you only play guns.

Archived