Home

Moderation feedback

Feral

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

Oh, and for the record, I am 29, not 13......:mad:

You didn't read Scabb's post properly, when he said you, he was using the general term, he was not speaking directly to you. He was basically saying that in order to be a member here, you(meaning everyone) must be 13 or older. Not once did he say that you (you, Darth Groovy) are 13 years old, as I'm sure most of us know.

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

No spam coming from a guy who registered 3 months ago and already has 1000 posts.

I am sorry if my post count disturbs you, have you know. I post extremly good topics, and have alot to say. :mad:

If you think im a spammer, please tell the admins. They will put you straight im sure.....

I got two seperate sentances and interlaced them with each other not once did I say that that you spam a lot.

Okay, fine a cheap way of getting out of that, sorry for the misjudgement, won't happen again. ;)

But you have to admit, that was pretty fast, took me about a year to get to a thousand, I registered a;lmost two years ago and yet still, people race past me in post counts (not that I care about them). I'm not (now) saying that you spam, you probably have a lot to say, but hey, easy assumption to make, not many can do what you do in three months.

Sorry again.

Peace

Neil

;)

I got two seperate sentances and interlaced them with each other not once did I say that that you spam a lot.

Okay, fine a cheap way of getting out of that, sorry for the misjudgement, won't happen again. ;)

But you have to admit, that was pretty fast, took me about a year to get to a thousand, I registered a;lmost two years ago and yet still, people race past me in post counts (not that I care about them). I'm not (now) saying that you spam, you probably have a lot to say, but hey, easy assumption to make, not many can do what you do in three months.

Sorry again.

Peace

Neil

;)

Ok mate. It's ok. :) And i know, 1000 posts is alot. It's so easy to post for me, proper replys. With the support for SWG building up, more and more threads are comming up in my home. :)

Meaning more threads to post in. :D

You didn't read Scabb's post properly, when he said you, he was using the general term, he was not speaking directly to you. He was basically saying that in order to be a member here, you(meaning everyone) must be 13 or older. Not once did he say that you (you, Darth Groovy) are 13 years old, as I'm sure most of us know.

Ackk, sorry about that, I had too many conversations going on at the time.

• 3 months later...

actually, i have some stuff i'd like to say...

i feel exactly the same way as natty does on the whole "mods on a powertrip" thing, and the closing of the "i'm back" thread just added to my thoughts on it.the only difference between how natty and i reacted to it is that natty left and is on a "strike". i, however, am taking the opposite approach here and being stubborn and not leaving no matter how much crap i have to put up with. i don't care if every single topic of mine got closed and djg got added to all of my polls, i will not leave because i know that if you have to do little crap like that to get me all rowled up and piss me off, you're an insignificant piece of dust and i'm gonna keep on doing what i'd normally do.

i know that the djg thing isn't going on anymore, but i'm just using that as an example of something that normally annoys me, or at least used to when it was happening.

anyway...i think stuff is getting a little better, although there's still some things that really bother me, but i won't go into any more detail, that is, if i haven't already revealed everything in this post :rolleyes:

Why is there so much bad feeling floating around at the moment????

I have a problem with a couple of areas of moderation, one is how certain moderators seem to get a kick out of agravating the situation by being rude and insulting to members. My other problem is moderators disagreeing with each other.

To expand on my first point, I would say that the best way to encourage good behaviour is to set an example yourself. Too many times I read moderators making pointless sarcastic remarks that add little to the conversation other than to annoy the user, and cause even more bad feeling. Could the mods not cut out this behaviour and set the best possible example for the rest of us?

To expand on my second point. I've worked in many public facing jobs, and if I had ever disagreed or argued with a colleague in front of a customer the way you guys do sometimes, I'd have been fired on the spot. Surely even though you're not paid (I'm assuming you're not paid!), you still have to keep up a certain level of professionalism?

First of all, the DJG thing, not us, probably the work of DJG himself, or some other admin wanting some fun. not an issue anymore, but wasn't us in the first place, so never mind.

Secondly, I'm sorry you feel that way about the moderation as it is at the moment, but be rest assured, that we are actually trying to make this a good forum. I'm back threads aren't needed, it's as simple as that. My monkey just died also isn't needed, but sometimes we let it stay. I really think it's enough that this man has said he's back, we really don't need to bombard him with WB!'s, just as long as we know, so no real harm has been done here.

Thirdly, they may seem like sarcastic remarks, but the moderators here have made an art out of saying the most with the least. I have made an art of not posting if I have nothing to say, but if I do have something to say, you can bet it will be long, or short but thoughtful. Anything else is just for fun adn you know I never get on anyones nerves about it. the other mods may annoy at some points, but only because they are actually trying to get a relevent mesage across.

Fourthly, any disputes or dissagreements amongst the mods are sorted out amongst the mods (and we try as hard as possible to keep it within ourselve and not broadcasted on teh feedback forums as some outside mods would like). I have also been at jobs where dissagreeing with my superiors would have me fired, but here, i really have nothng to lose and therefore will speak up if needed, and the super mods here as well as the mods normally take it calmly so nothing to worry about.

anything else?

Yeah, can I get a pizza?

Seriously, I have my disagreements with the way things are done in the Harbor. When I was a regular, the moderation team went from an 'everything flies' policy in regard to choice of topics to a 'high-brow discussion only' format, abruptly and without communicating their intentions beforehand. I've said my opinion about this a number of times, so I'll just leave it at that.

Now the other regulars, one by one, are taking exception with the moderators' way of doing business and protesting in their own ways. Yufster, Das Mole, Ray, Roy, Niko, Natty...each of these names recalls an episode of recent unpleasantness. The sense of peace in the Harbor these days reminds one much of that in Baghdad.

Obviously, you guys are doing just fine. ;) Carry on.

neil: when you became a mod i first thought this could bee cool.. and later i even mentioned that you would be doing a good job.. but i was wrong .. you're not doing well .. and the same count for the rest of your modding team..

see.. i know that benny and some others do great things besides this forum here the scummvm is really great etc etc..

but .. just because you are so special admins, mods and more with special occupations it doesnt mean that some of the posters in this forum doing similar things and even better ones... you're not the only cracks in here, y'know??

i just see you all a trying to keep the amount of posted posts small.. (database probs eyh?? :) )

and if you dont want an offtopic forum like the harbor then why dont you just close it and just leave the option for SERIOUS MI DISCUSSION???

why are you annoying us and even agree with the fact that you are annoying us instead of putting an announcement and closing the harbor??

and if you agree that some mods may act annoying why dont you step up as an mi mod and say something.. ??

you are not a good moderator, neil!! :mad:

*(Pats Ray on the shoulder.)*

He's trying, actually. You see, the moderators have to stick together and represent a uniform policy. It's very bad form for them to disagree here in the public forums. They talk things out in the mod forums, then put forward a united front here.

Even if Neil agreed with us that policies in the Harbor are harsh, he wouldn't be able to say so. ;)

We're better off addressing the 'moderation team' as a whole, methinks.

Originally posted by RayJones

and if you dont want an offtopic forum like the harbor then why dont you just close it and just leave the option for SERIOUS MI DISCUSSION???

why are you annoying us and even agree with the fact that you are annoying us instead of putting an announcement and closing the harbor??

and if you agree that some mods may act annoying why dont you step up as an mi mod and say something.. ??

Okay, do you want that? Seriously, I don't thnk anyone including the mods here want to get rid of the harbor. Secondly, I have stepped up and said something and we have discussed these things amongst ourselves and come to a mutual understanding of things here. i wish i could say that turning the harbor from a spam fest into a respectable forum as well as forums go would be easy for everyone concerned, but it isn't. people spammed and we let it slip, that was our mistake and we admit that. but now we're trying to rectify that mistake and you're not happy. almost understandable considering you're only looking at what's right in front of you and not anything else.

Originally posted by RayJones

you are not a good moderator, neil!! :mad:

Exactly what part of my moderating do you not like. I hardly ever press the orgasmic close button unless I feel it is actually necessary. I haven't edited peoples posts without good cause and I have moved some topics around, but that's not really hurting anyone. If you mean the fact that I haven't spoken up about what you don't agree with or changed everything, I'm sorry, but one, i don't always feel i have to and when i do, i do, ou just don't see it.

Okay, do you want that? Seriously, I don't thnk anyone including the mods here want to get rid of the harbor.

yes i think so.. noone wants an all too serious harbor. and your/the mods behavior shows the same wish.

Exactly what part of my moderating do you not like. I hardly ever press the orgasmic close button unless I feel it is actually necessary. I haven't edited peoples posts without good cause and I have moved some topics around, but that's not really hurting anyone. If you mean the fact that I haven't spoken up about what you don't agree with or changed everything, I'm sorry, but one, i don't always feel i have to and when i do, i do, ou just don't see it.

oh. neil.. :rolleyes: THAT is really what a mod got to do. doing nothing at all and hurt noone. especially not yourself...

it is not about closing or editing or moving or being nice. or what i just don't see or might miss ..

it is what you are not doing!!! for instance.. you missed to support natty as she was treatened in that unfair way mercatfart & co did.

you cannot always do as if NOTHING had happened. there is so much that happened, and you werent there to step up as ONE of the mods of the mi forums.

but as zoom said.. its not about you.. it's about the modteam and who am i (not being and never was a forummod) to tell you how to do your job.. i have no clue whats going on in MODworld ..

lets break it down to that: i saw you as a "friendly" folksman but now i've changed my opinion. wrong place to say that , plus you might give a *ringring*

For your information, the whole Natty thing is where i did speak up. Not in public though, I wanted to keep it sweet and simple, but I did express to them how I felt about the whole matter almost immediately after it happened, and for your information, no I was not happy about it which is why I spoke up. And I also spoke to Natty about it over IM so she knows my veiws as well, so don't say I didn't speak up.

So I'll admit it, we're not doing the best of jobs around here, I will say on our behalf that we are doing a half decent job though, it was a hell of a lot worse before we started heavily moderating like this, even if you didn't see it, it was only a matter of time.

So now, we do come to you, or at least I will and see what the rest do althugh I will relay these back to them. My idea is this, most of you have been around the boards and seen how other mods do it and don't seem to complain so much (although there is much worse on our own LF, but I won't mention names). So instead of complaining, tell us what you want. What would you have us do as good moderators, although don't be stupid and say stuff like 'Allow spam and flame', or other such, but stuff that you think would make the forum fun whilst not being completely boring, or lifeless, or too crappy. I'm not garunteeing that we'll do it all, but myidea is we come up with a list of rules for all (including mods) to abide by. Of course you as well as us will see all of the rules so if you feel we're not abiding by them, then you can tell us, as well as the other way around. These will of course be more of guidlines than rules (i had to throw a little POTC in there) but they will help, I know that. what do you guys thing. Moderation Feedback, that's what we want.

Deep thinking from the guy above....

So instead of complaining, tell us what you want. What would you have us do as good moderators, although don't be stupid and say stuff like 'Allow spam and flame', or other such, but stuff that you think would make the forum fun whilst not being completely boring, or lifeless, or too crappy. I'm not garunteeing that we'll do it all, but myidea is we come up with a list of rules for all (including mods) to abide by. Of course you as well as us will see all of the rules so if you feel we're not abiding by them, then you can tell us, as well as the other way around. These will of course be more of guidlines than rules (i had to throw a little POTC in there) but they will help, I know that. what do you guys thing. Moderation Feedback, that's what we want.

Neil, is everyone involved in this proactive thinking? Or are there mods out there with their heads in the sand, like I get the feeling there might be?

I've said above and in many other posts, the first thing we need, is mods to stop insulting people on the forums. Whether you're insulted yourselves or not. Insulting people is simply not good practice.

Moderators MUST agree with each other, or at least appear to agree in public. I've seen posts closed by one moderator then re-opened by another.....this is just a joke.....if a post is closed for right or wrong reasons, leave it alone or you undermine your colleague, which leads to the less mature users immediately thinking they can treat the first mod with a lack of respect.

Moderators should not argue on the forums......I'm sure most of the disagreements are behind closed doors, but the ones that slip out seroiusly undermine your guys profile....

....anyway, I'm repeating myself...err bye!!

See above.

When the 'big crackdown' occured, there was no word or warning beforehand. I downloaded the forum page one morning and saw that all the active threads had been closed, and only one thread open. It was from the moderators (they know who they are) responsible, sarcastically mocking the situation.

Sense of humor. Yes, I get that part. But I'm sure you guys can see how not everyone might take it that way.

The new policies regarding 'spam' in the Harbor came out in the wash, but it was too late. Whether it was a joke or not, some people do not appreciate being treated by someone who is supposed to be in a position of authority in that fashion. If you have some kind of power over me, and you mock me...you can bet your bottom dollar that my next act will be in resistance.

I was willing to let bygones be bygones, and returned to posting in the Harbor. When I tried posting the Monkey Sutra as a peace offering by way of meaningful discourse, that thread was moved without explanation to the 'fan stuff' forum. Angry, I took my writings elsewhere...and only figured out later that 'fan stuff' was meant to be a fiction forum. I would have shrugged it off as a legitimate move if someone had bothered to communicate exactly why they had done it, rather than leaving me to wonder what the heck the 'fan stuff' forum was.

It seems as if the moderators here swoop in and exercize their almighty mod powers with as little explanation as possible...or do so in a sarcastic, almost demeaning fashion, then chalk it off as a 'sense of humor.' This is poor communication.

My advice is: Make more effort to communicate with your members about what is acceptable or not in the forum before modding them about and pissing them off. It's just common courtesy! And when you do communicate with them about important stuff, set the sarcasm aside for a moment and show your own position the dignity it deserves.

On the other hand, if you're being sarcastic to me because I'm a Star Wars game fan, you can lick my lightsaber. ;)

Archived