goblins or orcs, lotr

Nerd_Annhilator

which do you prefer?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. which do you prefer?

• orcs
    • goblins

Originally posted by Squater

Goblins in LotR? I´m sorry if I sound stupid but is there any Goblins in LotR? The Orcs are Elves taken by Morgoth, then they were tortured (sp?) and other sick things. I´ve read LOTR, TTT, ROTK and Silmarillion and no where I´ve heard of any Goblins :confused:

Everything Squater has stated is true, except that different races call Orcs different things, Hobbits and Men Goblins and sometimes orcs, and Elves call them Yrch (its elvish). Some people in the books (not just LOTR but also The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and the Unfinished Tales) call orcs all different types of names.

All the answers are in tolkiens work.

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

You know what has always bothered me? The lack of the mention of what they used for toilet paper. I wanna know!

maybe they used cloth or nothing at all

I would like to see them try to make a movie based on the silmarillions

I'd prefer really to see a live-action version of "The Hobbit" than the silmarillions. But that's just me. But of course we all know that Peter Jackson just wanted to do The Hobbit, but Paramount said no and that $75 Mil was asking to much for a single movie. So, someone got a hold of an agent at New Line, and they offered Peter Jackson and crew $300 mill to make the LOTR Trilogy.

Originally posted by Quendi

I would like to see them try to make a movie based on the silmarillions

That would be Really hard, considering how many battles it were, how many ages etc. Its really nothing that would do good on the screen, its to complicated and it would need like at least 6-8 movies :p. Theres to many characters and descriptions of them and what they did etc, you could never squeze that into a movie. It just aint possible, of course you could maybe just include the most important things of the book but even then it would be very very hard to do. Besides Silmarillion is a piece of art and it wouldnt be right to make a film of it.

So what if it takes 6 or so movies. I don't hear anyone complaining that it is has taken 6 movies to tell the Star Wars story. And you know that there will be people who will go see the movies, regardless of how many. Plus look at what all the Star Wars films have done and the Lord Of the Rings movies. Thats a lot of action, but they managed. And technically speaking, if you go off of finished products/books, then one could argue the whole idea behind the Star Wars movies and how there are supposed to be 9 Episodes in All, but George Lucas doesn't feel like making the last 3. So its ALSO an unfinished product.

Q: Which of the Vala made the dwarves? And in doing so, did he inadvertently create the goblins (the forerunners of the Orcs)?

–Earl Duncan

A: Time to check your head at the door, my friend. The race of Dwarves were created by Aulë, long before the first Elves and Men appeared. And Aulë had NOTHING to do with goblins! Further, the goblins are not the forerunners of Orcs by any stretch of the imagination. Tolkien used different names for the same creatures, and in LOTR mostly abandoned his earlier use of the word ‘goblin’.

It is understood that the origin of the Orcs goes back to Morgoth, who took a huge population of the original Elves and twisted them through black arts and torture to become Orcs.

Now my turn to ask a question: Have you read The Silmarillion lately?

Archived