Home

You know, Rael's theology might be perfectly valid.

mercatfat

It may start with a few simple babies, but pretty soon the evil humans will start building a CLONE ARMY that will slowly engulf as all. Possibly.

I think it’s good, though, as long as it’s only for saving people’s lives. You can't say no to that.

Besides, the things that affect us as people most are environmental. You can’t emulate that unless you had some kind of alternate-universe-copying machine. But that’s just plain ridiculous. You would need knowledge in thermodynamics, hypermathematics, and of course microcalifragilistics, bah-hey.

You can quite easily create a universe. In fact, any collission between two particles with enough force is said to create a new universe, according to M-theory. Not to hijack the thread with that or anything...

I don't understand the concept of 'soul' or 'spirit' so I don't believe it, and so I don't believe a cloned child would be born without one. My real worry is for the cloned child itself, for I fear that it will grow up labelled as a freak and bullied and stuff (especially if it shows any of the abnormalities that are apparently apparent in clones, say the experts). But I'm sure people will grow to accept clones, if they are to become legalised in major countries. Black people were said to be without a 'soul' and were freaks and stuff, but society turned to accept them, so I don't see why the same shouldn't happen to clones.

You can't so easily create identical universes, though.

I don't see why anyone has to know that this person is a clone... Nor do I see why it would really make a difference. More and more people are coming from, er, non-atomic families these days.

I think there are far too many people about without clones. I have no problems with people creating clones although I doubt that the Raelian cult has managed to clone a human being. Perhaps they could make a monkey with four butts.

Are you all nuts? Why would somebody clone? This planet is overpopulated already. All the problems we have can be brought down to overpopulation. Somebody invent a nuclear bomb!

Seriously, if cloning doesn't scare you I think you haven't begun to think.

The theory I heard about universes is that they each occupied an entirely different plane of space, so you could create one anywhere (God knows how) and it would have absolutely no effect on our universe and there would be no way to prove it had happened.

There's a new theory that the big bang was a result of a collision in five dimensional hyperspace and that the universe goes through an infinite cycle of expansion and contraction. I also read somewhere that there are about 7 dimensions apart from the usual four tightly curled up... somewhere. It makes my head hurt thinking about it.

Not to get too serious about the whole cloning thing, but I took a philosophy class at my university called Contemporary Moral Issues, and cloning was seriously the only issue that I did not take a liberal stance on.

It just creeps me out. Yeesh. And these Rael people don't make it any better. heh.

The only use I can see for cloning technology that's not completely morally 'wrong' would be bringing back extinct species of animals. I'm not talking about dinosaurs or things like that but species we have driven to extinction or near extinction.

The only other use I can think of is cloning to make new organs, limbs or even complete bodies to repair the person who has been cloned, but that would be even more controversial.

I could agree with the bringing back of extinct or nearly-extinct species, if it were within moderation and it were certain that there's a survivable ecosystem for them.

It's rare that I have this much trouble wrapping my head around a big moral concept like this. But something being born without a biological mother and father... the mind just boggles.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to go into quantum physics. I could draw pictures about what all the imaginary dimensions look like, then maybe decide that the sun isn't really a star, just the reflection of a lampshade in a 13 year old alternate-reality-boys room. And he switches it off at night, but he's afraid of the dark (Or his daemon is), so the nightlight has to go on.

I like the idea of alternate realitys, that further explain the Universe etc, but it seems to me that some people use it as a way of explaining how Science can explain everything.

eg. Who invented the world?

There are infinite worlds in infinite alternate dimensions...

As for cloning endangered species, well, I have no clue why we need to preserve endangered species anyway when they clearly can't survive in this world. To preserve them for the future? No, the future-people won't want to look at them, what with the increase in the amount of telivision channels and the general lack of willingness to go outside. Even if man has kinda-sorta brought about their extinction, it's not really our fault. It's just nature. Humans are natural 'things'. A House is no different from a dam. Besides, future-people will have other species to fight brutal wars against / preserve / live in harmony with.

I don't really have a say on cloning, although it would be nice to have your very own Adam Sandler to kick the crap out of.

In the future Knightmare will be back on tv and it will be good. Or alternatively they'll ruin it by having it all in 3d with 'wacky' avatars and replace treguard with some annoying person. Oh the humanity. What's knightmare you say?.....

Knightmare with motion capture suits would be good.

Motion capture suits where you get replaced by 'wacky' 3D avatars.

And you don't get to see the real people 'doing' the stuff until they win, or whatever you do to get out of Knightmare.

I wasn't a fan.

Archived