Home

Most Wanted Scumm Utilities Poll

Benny

Your most wanted Scumm Utility?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Your most wanted Scumm Utility?

• Actor(Character) Animation Ripper (to gif or whatever)
    • Cross-platform Scumm Revisited style datafile viewer
    • Cutscene Viewer/Ripper (FT/CMI/Grim)
    • Dialogue Tree Browser/Ripper/Editor
    • Font Ripper

As promised i'm reviving the long forgotten thread.

Vote away and it just might get made by someone*. I shall pimp this thread around the forums and get some more people in here.

If you have other suggestions besides the ones in the poll, post em, remember though, that this does not include a Scumm Compiler/ScummIDE as they are already under development.

*Probably a complete lie.

Hmmm... Did SCUMMRevisited do most of that stuff anyway (or at least planned too)? I'd REALLY like a version of SR that handled some of the old games too... but if it could RIP dialogue trees that would be great too!

Actually why don't you change the SR vote to "Background/music viewer" as that's what it really was, and some peeps have probably never used it.

~ Johnny

No, because ScummRev did much more than that. That option isnt really about updating ScummRev, its about a new program in the style of ScummRev focused on other platforms than windows, because after all, windows already has ScummRev.

If you look at the list of changes you'll notice that a lot of it actually says something like "changed to be like gecko". Its interesting that the guy behind chimera/eazel people/at least one moz person worked on safari though.

you've probably heard a variant of this story as well

In 1976 Nolan Bushnell hired Steve Jobs to create Breakout (yes, the Steve Jobs). Jobs of course has his pal Steve Wozniak help him out, but he screwed him over good. Steve Jobs got $5000 for creating Breakout, but he only paid Wozniak a pitiful $350 bucks, on top of that he took full credit for the game. It is worth mentioning that it only took them 5 days from start to finish to make the first Breakout machine.

I doubt the decision to go with khtml/kjs was steves by the way, probably the techs...

Misc Apple related comments aside...

Sadly I doubt the compiler included with scummbag if it is ever to be released will ever be anything more than an win32 centric gui based application writen in delphi. Ideally such a beast would be in ansi c or c++ so it would be easily portable across multiple archs and be under an open license like say the GPL. Then it could run on things like sparc which used to be the only platform the original compiler ran on :)

Originally posted by khalek

I doubt the decision to go with khtml/kjs was steves by the way, probably the techs...

I was being silly. :p

And Steve pulled off a lot of **** like that at Atari. heh. woz, as usual, was the guy who got stuck doing all the work :)

• 4 months later...

Hibernatus has recently written a nice utility that let you dump and insert the text from/into scumm games, even if the lenght of the text varies.

you can grab the latest version here:

http://hibernatus34.free.fr/scumm/

So far it seems to work well, but please note that it hasn't been widely tested yet and that some bugs may be left out.

I've been messing a bit with it, and I've been able to insert special chars in indy3 256...

attachment.php?s=&postid=219267

Since some characters are not supported by the current game files (the ñ, for example doesn't exist in indy3 256), Hibernatus may also create a font editor.

options:
 -1: The Secret of Monkey Island (CD)
 -2: Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (CD)
 -3: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (256 colours)
 -4: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (CD)
 -l: Loom (CD)
 -z: Zak Mc Kracken (FM Towns)
 -L: Loom (16 colours) for exporting only (quick and dirty beta function)
 -I: Indy3 (16 colours) for exporting only (quick and dirty beta function)
 -i: Input. Update the game files.
 -o: Output. Extract the text from the game files.
 -f <path>: Input/Output file. (default: ./text.dat)
 -g <path>: Game file. (default: ./00.LFL or ./MONKEY.000 etc.)
 -c: Don't convert characters to the "occidental" set of Windows.
 -b: Don't leave backup copies of the game files.
 -h: Line header.
 -v: Verbose.
 -V: More verbose.
 -w: Windows newline format (\r\n).

examples:
scummtr -2ogf MI2/MONKEY2.000 monkey2.txt
scummtr -if indy3_fr.txt -3bVc -g I3/00.LFL

BTW, he used ScummVM as a documentaion source, there is nothig directly borrowed / copied. No GPL violation :)

Hibernatus is a turbo coder :)

The project was announced on April the 18th ( I've sent him here to ask his questions, finally he found what he was looking for in the ScummVM source)

He started to code on this by April the 25th, and released the first beta (limited to Indy256 and Zak256, still buggy) by May the 1st :)...

• 7 years later...

Archived