Home

Usage for Shell Shading

Stormy2021

Escape from Monkey Island was in need of some good shell shading to give it that old cartoony look. I'm hoping Full Throttle 2 will be done with a fair amount of shell shading (shell shading sarrounds 3D animation with black lines to give it a cartoony 2D look)

If shell shading is used in future Adventure games it will make both the 2D and 3D fans happy.

Isn't it cell shading ?

However... such a technique is quite over used at the moment and I think they won't use it for Full Throttle II... I hope they won't because bad cell shading make the game look creepy and over cartoonish.

No example of very good game using name shading comes to my mind( even the new zelda lokk pretty bad)

I'm still not convinced by this....

I mean I'm not keen on how the characters look, I prefer HighPolygon model like, for example, the characters you play in Jak & Dexter or the more designed ones of Evil Twin.

In fact I think that with such an option, games lost most of the benefit they gained through their 3Disation (volume) while not getting the details of "old-school" sprites.

But all I want is to be convinced. :)

In my opinion the BEST 3D graphics are those in which you can't see it's modeled.

I haven't seen those yet, but cell shading is getting close. It needs more time I guess.

I still do like the characters in Runaway very much, though.

--Erwin

Archived