Home

ZBomber's Guide to Collecting

ZBomber

1. Condition - First thing you do when you find an action figure is check its condition.

Packaging - A good package would have no creases and bends. Always check in the corners, because Scalpers will often purposely bend them, forcing you to not buy them, or not keep it in its packaging.

Open - If you are buying the figure open, make sure it from a reliable source. Se if you can hold it, check the limbs to see if they are on good. You will also want to look at the paint job. You don't want paint smeared off.

2. Fakes - There are a lot of hoax's out there, so you gotta be careful. One of my friends went to Spain, and he found a Leia put in another package, with a different body. Do not be fooled. Its not a rare variation. It is a hoax. I will soon post up a very large list of Star Wars Action Figurines. ;)

3. Reliable Places – There are A LOT of places that sell Star Wars Action figurines. I will list some places that are reliable:

Stores:

K’B Toys - A good place to get action figures, however, the prices are sometime a little higher. The shipments are put up as soon as they get them, but do not often get shipments.

Toy’s R’ Us – Decent prices. Most stores do a terrible stocking job. A lot of selection. They get a lot of shipments, but they take awhile to get them all in. Recently, I went to Toys R’ Us, and found a Red-Package Luke Skywalker with a long lightsaber. I’m guessing they had just found it, and put it out.

Wal-Mart – Very good prices (Just like that smiley dude :p) They often get new shipments, and are great at stocking. They order too much of the basic figures, but hey, that can be good! They put out the figures from the day they get them, to a week later. Not to bad. This is where I get most of my Star Wars.

K-Mart – Good prices. They have less of a selection. The carry some green package characters. I haven’t been here much.

Target – They get a lot of exclusives, like the accessories packs. Good prices, and good supply.

Internet sites:

Brian’s Toys – High prices on the newer figures, but most of the older figures have cheap prices ($3-$10). Shipping is fair, you do not have a selection of mint and not mint.

http://www.brianstoys.com

Yester Toys – Not as wide a selection, but most of the prices are reasonable. Shipping is good, choice between mint and non-mint.

http://www.yestertoys.com

John’s Toys – Has an all right selection, and mostly good prices. Most packages are mint. My friend has been in the stock room, and he says it is very good.

http://www.johns-toys.com

4. Place for info on collecting:

Rebel Scum – http://www.rebelscum.com - Good info of when figures are coming out, whats coming out, and variations.

Sir Steve’s Guide – http://www.sirstevesguide.com - Same as above.

Hasbro – http://www.hasbro.com - obviously a good site for collecting. :)

I might make a site, if it’s a popular request.

I will add some more later. ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the good advice...real helpful for a beginner like myself. I got a question too...

If buying new figures, which should I buy? Just the ones I like or is there certain figures that tend to increase in price more rapidly?

Swoosh

Well, another tip to do for recent toys is that you'll have a better chance of having a valuable toy if it's one high in demand (the new Yoda was one for example), and any exclusive figures (Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Starfighter Pilot; KBToys exclusive) are usually more valuable as well.

Hope that helps ;).

Originally posted by Swoosh

Thanks for the good advice...real helpful for a beginner like myself. I got a question too...

If buying new figures, which should I buy? Just the ones I like or is there certain figures that tend to increase in price more rapidly?

Swoosh

Well, it depends. If you paln on someday selling your collection, buy the valubale ones. If your not, buy the ones that seem cool to you. I'm gonna add more to this guide, like rare and new figures, so you'll stay on top. ;)

first of all if your wondering im taters whom z talks about and im he friend in the guide up above. i my self buy all of the figs because i can but when i couldnt i bought the ones that i thought were made well or of a charactor i like im now proud to say i havce almost all (eccept vintage i only have about 22 of those) and valuable ones are yes either ones made in low ammounts or variations such as the new luke bespin bloody arm. but most of all a figure is only worth wut you want to pay for it. and yes exclusives are always nice.

Originally posted by daring dueler

first of all if your wondering im taters whom z talks about and im he friend in the guide up above. i my self buy all of the figs because i can but when i couldnt i bought the ones that i thought were made well or of a charactor i like im now proud to say i havce almost all (eccept vintage i only have about 22 of those) and valuable ones are yes either ones made in low ammounts or variations such as the new luke bespin bloody arm. but most of all a figure is only worth wut you want to pay for it. and yes exclusives are always nice.

bloody hand. ;)

Jeez, can we get back to the topic at hand guys?

No Pun Intended ;)

Well, nothing more valuable then a mistake in a figure as well...but you have to make sure it is real as well, like the guide says.

The guide is good. It could use some more detail in certain areas, but overall I'd say it's good for beginners and medium-level collectors.

:thumbsup:

Archived