Home

Corporate promotion in public schools: Right or Wrong?

Reborn Outcast

Corporate promotion in public schools is a growing concern in America. Companies are paying millions of dollars to rename highschool football fields with their name and logo on it, add billboards around the baseball fields and even put foods stores in the cafeterias.

What do you think about this? Should corporate promotion stay or go? Personally I think it should go because school is a place to go and learn, not to go and learn why Pepsi is better than Coke or something stupid like that.

Well, I don't think there is a problem with it if it is just a logo or billboard. The companies get a chance to advertise more, and the schools take in a fair amount of money they can use to improve the conditions. So they both benefit, so nothing wrong or so I see. Personally, I've never heard of a company paying to rename a high school stadium.

I agree with the above poster. It sounds like it is benefiting the schools - considering that there isn't a lot of money out there for these kids. New football fields, new jerseys etc. seems like that would be much more of a help than a hinderence. The only time it would get bad is if it started effecting their educations.

Meh, if they want to advertise their silly things in my school i say go ahead, we'll take the money they're giving us and spend them on things for us. Of course MY school spends every friggin dollar on the football and volleyball teams. Who cares about the poor tennis team who has a barely functioning ball machine? Or the forensics team who has to hold bake-sales just to attend forensics meets.. Stupid school.........

Originally posted by FunClown

I think its wrong. People will see that advertising as you have to buy it to be 'cool'. That sucks for people who can't afford to be 'cool'.

Yes exactly, all the advertisers want you to buy their stuff whether it be Coke or Abercrombie and Fitch, and it sucks if you can't be "cool". Also it does interfere with the learnign experience because I read somewhere (I'll look it up) that some schools even have people walking around advertising their products in between periods. I even read something where the math books were sponsored by M&Ms so everything in it was M&M crap.

Meh, if they want to pass of their over-priced crap as cool, then let me be the biggest loser in my school. I know my friends won't desert me because i'm no wearing the "in" clothes, and they're all that really matter anyways.

And even if the math book is filled with M&M crap, it's probably still full of math problems that will teach them math. And if they're using M&M's as examples it makes it a little more practical so people aren't always complaining about how pointless math is and how it will never help them blah blah blah (I hate people who whine in math;))

Things like Coke and Pepsi don't become 'cool' after the ads go up. If they seem more popular on campus, it's because they're the only pop on campus. None of that "poor can't afford it" crap happens either. I'm in with the indie/punk people from poor homes, and they all buy pop just like anyone else.

Schools I've been to all do tie-in programs, but they don't do any of that 'wow, it's cool so I have to have it' crap you're fantasizing about. Trust me.

Just because things are pushed a lot doesn't mean they'll catch on. Last fashion season, 70s clothes and bowling shoes were pushed heavily but very few people bought any. It's the same style as last year here.

Archived